8-Speed Automatics

Aren't they just buying them? (Fiat anyway, not sure about GM)

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=34736

Two new Ford transmissions

This year, Ford offers more automatic, manual or dual-clutch automatic six-speed transmissions across its lineup than any other full-line automaker. From the subcompact Fiesta to the industrial-strength F-Series Super Duty pickup, 100 percent of Ford’s lineup of cars, trucks, SUVs and CUVs feature fuel-saving six-speed transmissions.

Like the 1.0-liter EcoBoost engine, advanced technology will be a key feature of the new Ford-designed, Ford-engineered and Ford-built eight-speed automatic currently under development, Bakaj said. “The new gearbox will be the first with a number of advanced new technologies that will provide faster, smoother and more positive shifts,” he said.

The eight-speed transmission will feature:

Ford’s next-generation clutch controls

An input torque sensor, which measures torque coming into the transmission. The sensor enables faster selection of the proper gear, reduces hunting and helps smooth out shifts

Actuators built into the case for tighter, more precise control of hydraulic pressure

Closed-loop control

More details on production and applications will be released at a later date.

Edited by sullynd
  • Like 1

Gotcha.

At least there is something in the pipeline. I hadn't heard anything.

Down sized Ecoboost engines and 6-speed auto puts Ford way out in front of carmakers just planning to add an 8-speed auto..

Something special on Lincoln would be nice to see even if it was an externally sourced ZF 8-speed auto.....

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 2

Considering that it looks like GM is about 3-4 years out on their 8-speeds, it would look like Fords will probably be out first.

Ford doesn't talk about everything they are doing, constantly, like some other companies.

GM announced months ago that the 2014 Chevy Silverado will have 8 speed automatic. Ford is spending a bunch of money retooling LTP to build its 8 speed auto. I believe it's going into Lincolns first and no announcement on where else, but I would bet F-Series to compete with new Silverado. Chrysler already has an 8 speed auto in its Chrysler 300 or will be out very shortly.

I wouldn't be too particularly worried about being late to this game. From this point forward, I think we're going to be seeing diminishing returns from adding more gears to a traditionally shifted automatic. Sure, 6 speeds are by far greater than 4, but the advantages of an 8 over a 6 just really aren't that great. Looks good in advertising...

• Like 1

I wouldn't be too particularly worried about being late to this game. From this point forward, I think we're going to be seeing diminishing returns from adding more gears to a traditionally shifted automatic. Sure, 6 speeds are by far greater than 4, but the advantages of an 8 over a 6 just really aren't that great. Looks good in advertising...

And at some point a CVT would just work better than say, an 18 speed automatic.

And at some point a CVT would just work better than say, an 18 speed automatic.

Yes indeed. Rumor has it that Hyundai/Kia are working on a 10 speed.

The CVT is the most efficient. But they just don't feel right; IMHO. Driven 2 Calibers and 1 Nissan, and I just don't like the CVT "feel".

• Like 2

And to add, only reason Chrysler and GM have been so gung-ho on the 8 speeds lately is because they were late to the game, and were just recently still using 4 speeds. So if they TALK about it more, it helps more any negative attention to what they currently have. Dont forget the Corolla still has a 4 speed which is almost three decades old...thats another one behind the game...

• Like 1

While a V8 or a 3.5/3.7 may do fine with a 6-speed auto, the 8-speed auto comes into its own with aggressive downsizing and Ecoboost.

I can see the smaller EB I-3 and I-4 engines using the 8-speed auto to great effect to maintain fuel economy with expected performance.

Imagine a 2.7 V6 Ecoboost and 8-speed auto combo in an F150... 320 Hp and 350 lb ft great performance with brilliant fuel economy.

Edited by jpd80

While a V8 or a 3.5/3.7 may do fine with a 6-speed auto, the 8-speed auto comes into its own with aggressive downsizing and Ecoboost.

I can see the smaller EB I-3 and I-4 engines using the 8-speed auto to great effect to maintain fuel economy with expected performance.

If they are geared like I hear the one in the Chrysler 300 is, then I just don't see the point. Apparently 8th gear doesn't even get used until you hit speeds above 70 MPH, meaning the rest of the gears are setup pretty much like most existing 6 speeds.

If they are geared like I hear the one in the Chrysler 300 is, then I just don't see the point. Apparently 8th gear doesn't even get used until you hit speeds above 70 MPH, meaning the rest of the gears are setup pretty much like most existing 6 speeds.

Cruise at 60-70 mph is becoming increasingly important but I wouldn't use one application as an example of how the rest will be implemented.

That example is for slowing down a fairly large capacity V8 at higher road speed, now imagine using the 8-speed in say a a n ecoboost engine

to slow the revs and get the engine slightly boosting at 1700 rpms like a diesel...I think that's Ford's objective, slower engine speed and boost.

Edited by jpd80

The CVT is the most efficient. But they just don't feel right; IMHO. Driven 2 Calibers and 1 Nissan, and I just don't like the CVT "feel".

Not to mention CVT's are more expensive then 6 speed or even 8 speed transmissions..and require replacement instead of being rebuilt

Very true !

Adding more ratios to any kind of transmission adds weight and size. It is easier to add additional ratios to a dual clutch transmission.

Additional ratios do not always mean additional fuel economy. Some of the gains go back into carrying around the extra weight.

Another problem with more ratios is customers don't like the feel of gears shifting a lot ("busy").

• Like 1

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=34736

The eight-speed transmission will feature:

• Ford’s next-generation clutch controls
  • An input torque sensor, which measures torque coming into the transmission. The sensor enables faster selection of the proper gear, reduces hunting and helps smooth out shifts
  • Actuators built into the case for tighter, more precise control of hydraulic pressure
  • Closed-loop control

The interesting part of that press release are the first 2 bullets.

The current PowerShift transmission uses "controls" (software) written by the company supplying the clutches.

A reasonably priced input torque sensor is the "holy grail" of transmission controls. Up to now, input torque is estimated/computed by a variety of methods, none of which are perfect.

To the best of my knowledge can't handle much in the way of torque either.

A former Ford transmission engineer told me that customers loved the CVT in the Freestyle; its problem was that it couldn't handle the torque of anything with better output than the D30. I don't think that's blanket condemnation of CVTs, though--f'rinstance, what is Subaru putting through theirs?

A former Ford transmission engineer told me that customers loved the CVT in the Freestyle; its problem was that it couldn't handle the torque of anything with better output than the D30. I don't think that's blanket condemnation of CVTs, though--f'rinstance, what is Subaru putting through theirs?

I heard the exact opposite, didnt help the CVT actually got inferior mileage compared to the regular 6 speed auto....o