MKC Final Form Pics

Those who want to see a resemblance will.

And push the envelope how exactly? I'm certainly glad they didn't go the Evoque route by making it so radical it begins to lose functionality. By keeping it functional and practical, yes, it's going to resemble other functional and practical CUV's. In related news, most tennis shoes (even really expensive ones) look similar.

IMO, little details, for example flare the fenders more, maybe deepen crease lines.....get more adventerous with the Headlights ( funny how that is becoming more and more of a statement ) ...this is all here say of course as the picture still has camo.....e

IMO, little details, for example flare the fenders more, maybe deepen crease lines.....get more adventerous with the Headlights ( funny how that is becoming more and more of a statement ) ...this is all here say of course as the picture still has camo.....e

The side creases and flaring appear to be about as dramatic as the concept's from all I can tell, which seemed to suit it just fine. I do miss the lower door detailing and rocker panel treatments from the concept though (why automakers continue to emphasize this area on concepts only to almost always water it down for production is beyond me).

Need to see the headlight details a bit more to make a final judgment there. Be careful what you wish for though (see: Jeep Cherokee).

My guess: Either stamping costs get too high, or there ends up being aerodynamic/wind noise issues.

Probably so and of course, the production model concedes design elements to practicality but really,

the changes to the production MKC were pretty much expected, .

Edited by jpd80

Okay, so because I'm not a fan of CUV's, and because I believe too many of them share similar styling aspects, whether it be a CR-V, Rav4, Sportage or whatnot means I can't comment on the subject?

No, that would be asinine. If that silly notion were true, then nobody can comment on anything which really isn't the point of a forum.

• Like 1

The photo really accentuates the front overhang of the Escape.

Although you can see a similarity in the overall greenhouse shape I'd say they did a nice job making it look different then the Escape. I think the MKC looks much better in front with what appears to be taller and slightly shorter front. When you see the Escape from the side there has always been something about that front overhang and height compared to the rest of the vehicle that has always made me think Chevy Uplander minivan.

post-19901-0-37968400-1381963729_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Although you can see a similarity in the overall greenhouse shape I'd say they did a nice job making it look different then the Escape. I think the MKC looks much better in front with what appears to be taller and slightly shorter front. When you see the Escape from the side there has always been something about that front overhang and height compared to the rest of the vehicle that has always made me think Chevy Uplander minivan.

Saw a 2012 Forester in the supermarket parking lot today.

Talk about your front overhangs....

http://file.kelleybluebookimages.com/kbb/vehicleimage/evoxseo/cp/m/7888/2012-subaru-forester-side_7888_001_580x435_37j.png

Saw a 2012 Forester in the supermarket parking lot today.

Talk about your front overhangs....

http://file.kelleybluebookimages.com/kbb/vehicleimage/evoxseo/cp/m/7888/2012-subaru-forester-side_7888_001_580x435_37j.png

Yes that looks terrible. I understand that many times FWD based vehicles will have longer front overhangs, but Ford has done a very nice job hiding it in the Explorer, Edge, and the MKC. The Escape just needs a thicker front like the MKC and it wouldn't have that "shoe" like profile from the side.

• Like 1

When you spend more time defending your posts and saying that you didn't say what other people think you said - there's a problem with what you're typing.

You can either defend or ignore when multiple people are attacking what you said because they disagree. I understand V8-x's opinions, bullying him does not make them less valid.

• Like 2

No but if you said all pasta tasted the same just looked slightly different and then showed the ingredients and the shapes , I might agree

Not very often that you are served plain pasta. The "pasta" of the CUV is its 2-box shape. A common theme across all of them. It's the "sauce" that makes them different though.

Edited by NickF1011

You can either defend or ignore when multiple people are attacking what you said because they disagree. I understand V8-x's opinions, bullying him does not make them less valid.

This isn't about opinions.

"I don't like it" is an opinion.

"I see too much resemblance to the Escape for my taste" is an opinion.

"It isn't differentiated enough from the Escape" is an objective statement and not an opinion and is therefore open to debate and criticism with facts and common sense.

Just because you say "IMO" doesn't mean you can say whatever you want without scrutiny and disagreement.

Here is a better example:

"Vehicle A is too small for me." Opinion/Personal Preference. Perfectly valid.

"Vehicle A is too small." This implies that it's lacking with regard to all buyers and with respect to other vehicles. If you compare actual dimensions of vehicle A with the competition and it is indeed significantly smaller then that's perfectly fine. But if the comparison shows that it's the same size as the competition then that is an incorrect objective statement.

Also invalid - implying that a Lincoln vehicle won't see good sales when very similar (if not exact) vehicles from other mfrs do in fact see good sales and in most cases are the sales volume leader for their respective brands (SRX e.g.) is ignoring very clear facts.

And it's not just semantics - it's called objective reasoning and clear communication - something a lot of people seem to lack around here.

To each their own I guess. If you like it, great go support Ford. For me, this does nothing for me or my hopes of Lincoln.

I almost pointed this out earlier, but this is a great example where you go from opinion (I don't like it) to objective facts with no basis other than your own subjective personal preferences.

If you had left it at "this does nothing for me" - no problem. But when you extrapolate your disdain for the design into the failure of an entire brand that's just wrong.

I hate Camry and most other Toyota styling, but you'll never catch me saying that I'm worried about Toyota because I don't like their designs. Why? Because they sell and there are monthly volumes that back that up. Not everybody likes the same things I like.

The MKC is not much different from the Caddy SRX (smallish luxury crossover) and the SRX outsold every other Caddy vehicle by almost a 2 to 1 margin recently including the new ATS and CTS. To suggest that the MKC won't sell great just because YOU don't like it is absurd.

Because you are the only one who seems to see the great commonality between it and the Escape specifically. Yes, it is derivative of most small CUV's, the Escape being amongst them. But based on what can be seen in the spy shots, it doesn't appear to resemble the Escape specifically more than any of the others. It seems the only reason you are saying it is because you know it's based on the Escape already. Really, if we didn't know that this was the MKC in camo, there could be speculation that it was any number of other vehicles from other automakers without some thorough investigating and comparison.

Maybe one of the only individuals here yes. Maybe go visit other forums or the autoblog site and you'll see I am not the only individual who has stated such.

Think the size of vehicle and grille kind of gives away the product, so don't think most people would mistake what brand or model this would be.

It looks more like a Rav4 than an Escape.

2013-Toyota-RAV4-XLE-side-view-05.jpg

Totally disagree. But must say, the Rav4 is actually uglier in person than in pics, IMO.

In a word: yes.

And regarding the difference between grbeck's comments and yours:

"Very nice. No one will mistake a Braque for a Picasso."

"There's a similarity between Braque's use of line and Picasso's during his cubist phase."

--

One is a transparently naive statement. It's 'puffery'. It's the same as saying, "This is the best pizza I've ever tasted."

The other requires that the person making the statement be able to demonstrate some basic competence in the subject at hand. And the comment should, preferably, not be made by someone who has just said, "to me, all Cubist paintings look similar."

You can feel however you like about the subject. I've provided areas where the similarities are evident to me, whether you want to agree or disagree, that is your right.

Plenty of users on other sites share my feelings, BOF is not the end all be all of forums and is not the final authority on the truth. Again, you disagree, great I'm glad you have your own opinion and thoughts of the vehicle. I have mine and whether you want to accept my comments or not, is again your prerogative and we know where you stand. But just know where I stand.

And even though I may see similarities between the products, doesn't mean this is a bad product and won't sale. It's just not as appealing as the concept (which is typical for most vehicles regardless of brand) or I was hoping for. The MKZ was and amazingly designed product, IMO. This doesn't have nearly the same impressions, IMO.

Edited by V8-X
  • Like 1

Maybe one of the only individuals here yes. Maybe go visit other forums or the autoblog site and you'll see I am not the only individual who has stated such.

Think the size of vehicle and grille kind of gives away the product, so don't think most people would mistake what brand or model this would be.

It's just not as appealing as the concept (which is typical for most vehicles regardless of brand) or I was hoping for.

Like I said. Those who want to see similarities will. Ugh. I was obviously referring to camo shots that would disguise the grille. Based on the size alone, there would be absolutely no way to tell. There are plenty of vehicles in the class within spitting distance of each other in terms of length, width, height, and wheelbase (as is the case in every vehicle class).

As for your last comment, the only major change from the concept is the slope of the roof, which was obviously a nod to practicality. The majority of the sheet metal, the grille, the clamshell lift gate -- all look to have made the transition largely untouched.

Edited by NickF1011

Like I said. Those who want to see similarities will. Ugh. I was obviously referring to camo shots that would disguise the grille. Based on the size alone, there would be absolutely no way to tell. There are plenty of vehicles in the class within spitting distance of each other in terms of length, width, height, and wheelbase (as is the case in every vehicle class).

As for your last comment, the only major change from the concept is the slope of the roof, which was obviously a nod to practicality. The majority of the sheet metal, the grille, the clamshell lift gate -- all look to have made the transition largely untouched.

Actually it looks like the flared haunches from the concept may not have made it either based on some other comparison shots I've seen.

post-22831-0-43826100-1382021758_thumb.jpg

Edited by akirby

I have this game called Automation that is being developed as a Car tycoon type game. Anyways, they just added a very beta car styling design studio in it, and the one thing that amazed me is they give you a general shape that can be modified to a point, but the real "style" comes from the "jewelry" (headlights/grills/etc) that gets put on to it.

Theres only so much you can do with the shape of a car, whether its a 2 box or 3 box design. The Equiove looks good, but the only differentiation it has vs other CUV's is its dramatic looking greenhouse from the shape of its windows...otherwise its more or less like any other CUV out there.

Actually it looks like the flared haunches from the concept may not have made it either based on some other comparison shots I've seen.

They aren't as dramatic on the liftgate itself, but they are certainly still present based on those shots. I think your eyes are just drawn more to the haunches on the rear because the window was much smaller on the concept.

Edited by NickF1011