Cut the Bull

My two cents worth and clearly I don’t post a lot.

I’m a huge Ford fan and I have been for years, I’ve been coming here many times weekly for nearly 10 years but I learned early on that my blind support of Ford and my opinions mean very little here. This place is my number 1 go-to site for Ford rumors and upcoming products and I’ve sent countless people here but again I don’t feel welcome to jump into conversations so I simply absorb information and try to keep my mouth shut.

Is that because of the back and forth that occurs?

I think we'd all welcome additional thoughts on topics.

I never understood the "moderators have to be neutral" rule. I think people only say that when they don't agree with what the moderator is saying. Besides, people know the moderators already.

We just have a different views on what a moderator should do.

I was a moderator on a “street photography” forum where both pictures and topics were discussed. I could delete threads that I thought were inappropriate, I could delete posts that I thought we’re off-topic or inappropriate, I could admonish people who stepped over the line (mostly PM, but occasionally on forum), and could kick people off the forum when necessary (after talking to the forum owner). In a few words, I was a tough ass. Had to be though. That forum was much larger than this with much more activity. Plus the nature of street photography invites political discussion which, as you can imagine, always leads to trouble. So, I ended up being a cop, and really didn’t contribute much to the discussions (although I did post my pictures).

But it really doesn’t matter what I think. This forum belong to Robert Lane. If he’s satisfied with the current state of affairs, who am I to argue?

Well, I would anyway. It leads to a longer discussion too, rather than some threads getting a handful of responses and then dead.

Agreed! I much preferred this forum when it had more activity. I think more voices sharing their opinions will help to ease any tensions. Otherwise it's just the same 10 guys talking; Like an old married couple of course they each have their favorite arguments to start.

How about setting rules (and posting them as a sticky) then enforcing the rules?

If you need help with moderation, I don't mind helping out since I'm here all the time anyways.

Another moderator to the mix is indeed welcomed.

The rules are posted and we have plenty of moderators.

Some of us take what's written literally and look at product decisions from a business perspective - especially when we work on business finances every day.

Some of us write things that they don't really mean or use the wrong words (personal preferences and opinions vs. facts) and this causes much grief to the first group.

A lot of folks have different ideas about what Ford should be doing.

All of that leads to repeated arguments and it needs to stop. We all need to learn to just ignore certain things we don't agree with rather than starting an argument - or continuing an argument that's been going on for years. And I'm as guilty as anyone else.

"Stay on topic and respect each other - no personal attacks" should do it.

^ Seems really easy enough to understand.

Where’s Robert Lane? It’s his forum but you wouldn’t know it. He’s virtually 100% absent. He’s got to step forward, make some rules, and enforce them.

Where are the other moderators? Outside of Jensen, they barely make a peep. It’s time for them to step up and get more involved. Maybe add more moderators too.

As for Mr. Jensen, he too often becomes the center of a attention, and this shouldn’t happen. A job of a moderator is to keep things on topic and enforce the rules. A moderator shouldn’t dominate a discussion as he seems to do.

But of course Mr. Jensen should also be free to express his opinion. It’s almost as if there should be two Jensen’s. One who is the moderator and enforces the rules, and the other (under a different name) who posts his thoughts and opinions.

No doubt this forum has gone downhill. I used to look forward to visiting here, I don’t anymore.

I'm on the site more often than not. I actually don't quite look at this forum as mine, however, as a community effort and it's great that this topic was created because it will certainly help make the site better.

Robert is busy, which is why we have moderators. Personally, I think the moderators do a pretty good job. It's OK to stray off topic now and then once the topic has run it's course. That's how normal life works, and it's fine for forums too (and one of the reasons I love this forum). As long as it doesn't go way overboard, it should be fine. The problem comes with posters who continue to argue over the same thing, and bring up the same questions in order to stir an argument. Or have continuous jabs at certain people for comments they have made in the past. Sadly, RJ normally gets dragged right into the middle of it because he has a tendency to call out people and ask for facts. You can't blame him, though, as it adds to the discussion.

A forum is a place for open discussion from all sides of the argument, whether right or wrong. If we can all be more open minded, and just let the petty stuff roll off our backs, I'm sure we'd be better off for it.

^ Well stated.

Being a moderator is a thankless (if even that) job, and I've seen this happen on countless forums over the year. I think Richard (And akirby) does a fine job. Who wants a moderator who is uninterested or uninvolved in the topics?

Heavy handed? If anything BON has a history of allowing problem posters to stick around longer than most forums.

^ BON isn't heavy handed and that's for a specific reason as this site was founded on free speech and thus, we have to welcome it whenever we can. There's a difference between free speech and I think good speech sometimes though - if that makes sense. Maybe it has to do with forming an argument rather well?

My $0.02.

There is clearly a clique on this forum. You're in it or you're not.

If you're not, you're pretty much wrong, no matter what you say.

Anyone that disagrees with the above is probably in that clique which is why they can't see it.

^ I hope that's not the case because that doesn't create a vibrant community.

Is that because of the back and forth that occurs?

I think we'd all welcome additional thoughts on topics.

My experience is that it can be anything. I'm a grown man and I don't intend to sound like I need pandered to but I feel like one can easily receive a public chastising when it could easily be addressed in a PM. I'm not talking about the people who are clearly provoking a disagreement but more so those of us who are attempting to to add something meaningful. I'll admit that to the novice it's difficult to do sometimes as there are several knowledgeable people here. A public humiliation often happens when one thinks they've posted something contributing and they're being taken to the gallows when they least expect it.

• Like 1

Agreed! I much preferred this forum when it had more activity. I think more voices sharing their opinions will help to ease any tensions. Otherwise it's just the same 10 guys talking; Like an old married couple of course they each have their favorite arguments to start.

I agree and I liked it a lot more when we had more activity.

• Like 1

I'll admit to taking some people "to the gallows" but only when they deserve it. :)

Seriously though, I think RJ and I need to do a bit more moderating and a lot less arguing, especially when it's things that have been said over and over and over.

I'll certainly try to do better.

I'll admit to taking some people "to the gallows" but only when they deserve it. :)

Seriously though, I think RJ and I need to do a bit more moderating and a lot less arguing, especially when it's things that have been said over and over and over.

Not for nothing....you are as entitled to your opinion as anyone else....

Tyrant.

• Like 2

As for more activity around here...part of the problem (I've seen this on other message boards) is that people have moved on to Facebook for various reasons. Message boards can offer a bit more anonymity then Facebook does, so I don't see them disappearing anytime soon.

I'll throw my hat in if another moderator /staff member is wanted.

I run a bunch of forums with over 100k users and believe it or not, the way this place is moderated tends to work best in my experience. Hands off until it is required. I don't see a massive breakdown at all.

However, there are a couple things I would recommend that has worked well for my forums.

1) Make the moderators stand out. Right now they look like all other users (with the exception of the small title under their name). While that is good so they look like they are on an even keel with others, other users don't know who to go to for assistance. Some simple styles (font color / weight) on their usernames goes a long way.

2) Really push community moderation. Over on LXforums there are way too many posts each day to read by the mods...so we don't. We really push that users report posts that break the rules. It works great! This works well in smaller forums too.

3) As noted before, make the rules easy to access and most importantly, enforce them. It's nice to be a good guy, but after a few warnings sometimes you gotta take action. We use an expiring points system based on rules that are broken. When a user reaches X points, they get an XX day vacation.

4) Make the lurkers feel more welcome. This can be done a number of ways. Welcome them, of course...but there are also ways to make engagement more organic. Contests, polls and a social media presence all really help here (also willing to help there as that's what I do for a living!)

Even though I run other (non-competing) forums, I find myself spending more time here than my "mothership" if you will. I just enjoy the conversation! I'd love to see this place grow and would be more than happy to be a part of that.

Edited by Intrepidatious
  • Like 3

There is a Report link to the left of the Quote buttons on each post. That's the best way to report something because it sends a link to the offending post. Only a few people here have used it - maybe they don't know it's there since it's greyed out (on my browser at least).

Robert is considering adding a moderator - send him a PM.

There is a Report link to the left of the Quote buttons on each post. That's the best way to report something because it sends a link to the offending post. Only a few people here have used it - maybe they don't know it's there since it's greyed out (on my browser at least).

Robert is considering adding a moderator - send him a PM.

nothing like that in the mobile version....

I just multi quoted and can onsee the report button on my S5.

First log in from my phone, pain due to the small screen. when on my mobile I click a forum meant thread and on the bottom you'll see full version- click it. You must be signed in to see the report button but it's there even on my phone.

Didn't edit the first line because that was from my mobile, as you can see spelling errors etc. are common due to having to enlarge and reduce the screens view.

bottom two comment are from my laptop.

Edited by Ron W.

I just multi quoted and can onsee the report button on my S5.

First log in from my phone, pain due to the small screen. when on my mobile I click a forum meant thread and on the bottom you'll see full version- click it. You must be signed in to see the report button but it's there even on my phone.

Didn't edit the first line because that was from my mobile, as you can see spelling errors etc. are common due to having to enlarge and reduce the screens view.

bottom two comment are from my laptop.

I know I can mulitquote if I clicked the full version. I was referring to the mobile version.