Next gen GT500 to have AWD?

Dammit, now I have to sell the house to buy one so I can get to work when it snows.

No, really, it snows here in Oklahoma. I mean, some winters, it's really bad, and we get like two, maybe even three days before the sun melts it completely away, and I need to be able to get to work when those days don't fall during our end-of-year shutdown or on a weekend...

Edited by SoonerLS
  • Like 2

This is guess, but could it be a possibility of a Lincolnstang. I mean lets be honest, Lincoln isn't going after the the V/M/AMG's like Caddy. The GT is a perfect GT so why don't you make it a Lincoln luxo gt with electric fwd assist (or conventional AWD). 3.0 and 3.5 2nd gen with 10 speed would be a thing. Just a thought.

I am wondering how much cross team engineering happens between Ford Perfomance, Ford, and Lincoln. I mean, it would make sense to share info (what worked/what didn't and test results), right?

• Like 1

I thought by now we would get some info on the next GT500, but since there's a lot of rumors about the drive train, and no official word from Ford. I think the article might be correct and the it may share the 3.5 EcoBoost with the GT supercar.

AWD might be kind of kool with that much power.

If the 3.5 EcoBoost can make over 600 hp, will Ford actually invest in an EcoBoost V8? Personally I'm for the V8.

• Like 1

From what the article states, these are "Shebly" only items and not shared with the GT, Ecoboost or V6

That's what the article says, but the also-quoted Ford engineer may have been saying that the hubs originally came from, or were derived from, the hubs on the old BOF Explorer. The revised hubs could have a part number that doesn't cross with the Explorer, but the splines could be carried over from the original parts.

That's what the article says, but the also-quoted Ford engineer may have been saying that the hubs originally came from, or were derived from, the hubs on the old BOF Explorer. The revised hubs could have a part number that doesn't cross with the Explorer, but the splines could be carried over from the original parts.

but the BOF Explorer didn't have 15.5 inch rotors either...IMO it has to be a new design.

but the BOF Explorer didn't have 15.5 inch rotors either...IMO it has to be a new design.

Hub != rotor. It doesn't necessarily need to be from the BOF Explorer, or even be the same part, it could just be based on the part from a vehicle with AWD (or even FWD)--i.e, the engineers may have started with the hub from an Explorer, so there are parts of the original design (like the splines) that get carried over, although the resulting part ends up carrying a different part number. I'll bet you find a lot of commonality in hubs across many different Ford products.

Edited by SoonerLS

One thought though, could this be a baked in future option once production settles down?

They are jumping to a lot of conclusions by discovering those slpines on the front hubs.

Providing the rest of the AWD set up sucks up a lot of R & D costs and if not baked in

at the start of the project to be amortized by the 2.3 EB, I doubt it has any cred at all.

I could see the 630 HP or a 450-500 HP TT V6 being a star model but GT500?

I don't think so...

Edited by jpd80

Perhaps AWD is being held back as a later option to help the plant get up and running

more quickly with less complication, a running change to coincide with gearbox upgrades?

If Ford has a 10R box coming, it makes sense to make AWD available on both

V8 and 1-4 EB engines available internationally in the domestic market.

Edited by jpd80