Why the Detroit Three should merge their engine operations

Oh, I don't know. Their collective animosity towards it and the corresponding joy at its departure could do a lot to strengthen the relationship.

While that's probably true, our bigger priority is finding a house rather than the toys. I'd rather have a new mustang than a new boat anyway, or rather an old boss or Mach 1 mustang.

Hmnn-wild thought- at what point does the consumer come out on the short end of the stick? For example, today (speaking of V-8's) Ford has placed its bets on mod motors while GM sticks with pushrods. Let the better mousetrap win! Take the motor out of the equation and I still have the choice of the look of the Mustang vs the Camaro but again, each component sets each builder's product apart.

Let the best builder win in the marketplace.

Or is Sergio right?

I would think the best items for them to collaborate on are emission reduction technology. This something that all three could do better together than alone. It would be cost sharing and in turn a savings for each. The tech is applicable regardless of who's engine it ends up on. This would not impact each manufactures mantra for achieving fuel efficiency, IE Ford with smaller Eco boost engines and GM with larger engines and cylinder deactivation. That is something that all three could collaborate on, it is something all three have to meet, and something all three do. Might as well combine the R&D departments and reduce the management overhead and pool resources.

• Like 1

There was actually a pretty good rant by someone about putting LS engines in a Mustang...basically your putting in a cheap/crappy engine into a Mustang, just because its cheap/crappy because you think you'll blow it up! I have to see If I can find it again.

And one has to wonder why they aren't replacing it with another Ford motor that blew up in the first place.

And one has to wonder why they aren't replacing it with another Ford motor that blew up in the first place.

Because Chevy-based power is cheaper.

Again, why are we even having this discussion? Chevy derived power is cheaper than Ford. Has been for almost 60 years now. It's not going to change any time soon, and as long as it is, people will be putting Chevy power into Ford bodies.

There is a model out there for common engines - trucks. Although some manufacturers are trying to bring powertrain inhouse, the use of engines built by dedicated engine builders (Cummins, Cat (in the past)) is very well accepted. Also, GM engines (Detroit Diesel) were very well accepted before they became outdated. Done right for the "commodity" lines of automobiles (that vast grey middle of CUVs, SUV, midsize and compact sedans) it can be done. It would never work for the carmakers signature vehicles. Same with transmissions and axles. Both emissions and cost issues might drive things along such a path as it gets ever more expensive to certify a drivetrain.

Wild thought - something along the lines of the Page & Page "rubberband drive" for an AWD CUV.

The problem is that for that vast 'gray middle', there's not a lot of savings to be had.

You're looking at mammoth scale at each individual manufacturer, such that the ROI component dedicated to the initial design/engineering costs is minuscule.

I mean, why pool engine design resources if you only save a few bucks per engine? Is that worth sacrificing your autonomy? Because there's no real savings unless companies eliminate jobs and get rid of institutional knowledge.

I think all of the world’s auto makers should get together and design, engineer and build one generic engine for the world market. Think of the efficiencies and profits that could be gained. After that, all of the world’s auto manufacturers can get together to design, engineer and build one generic, global vehicle platform for the world market. Then each manufacturer could hang their unique name on the generic front fender and sit back and pull in the profits. Because that’s all this comes down to. Profits, profits, profits!

There is a model out there for common engines - trucks. Although some manufacturers are trying to bring powertrain inhouse, the use of engines built by dedicated engine builders (Cummins, Cat (in the past)) is very well accepted. Also, GM engines (Detroit Diesel) were very well accepted before they became outdated. Done right for the "commodity" lines of automobiles (that vast grey middle of CUVs, SUV, midsize and compact sedans) it can be done. It would never work for the carmakers signature vehicles. Same with transmissions and axles. Both emissions and cost issues might drive things along such a path as it gets ever more expensive to certify a drivetrain.

Wild thought - something along the lines of the Page & Page "rubberband drive" for an AWD CUV.

Ifeg- I was going to mention heavy trucks in my post. True. Excluding Mack Engines in Macks and Detroits in GMC's virtually all class 8 builders did not have proprietary class 8 diesel engines but offered power from Cummins, Cat and Detroit- and even a limited time when Allis Chalmers made an attempt at getting in the business. And even Mack and to a lesser degree GMC offered other power besides their own

Today most class 8 builders are back into an "in house" vertically integrated engine choice with Cummins about the only outsourced option. Paccar their DAF blocks, Daimler (F'liner, Western Star) uses their Mercedes/Detroits, and Volvo/Mack uses their ("shudder") Volvo engines that are built in the former Mack engine plant.

Page and Page? You are making me feel my age. I started work in the industry just about the time weight laws went up and we had a lot of single axle B-61's. solution? lengthen the frames and add a dead axle- for you non truckers-or young guys the Page and Page concept in essence had what amounted to a pully in place of the wheel spacer between the duals and a "rubber" band drove the dead axle off the powered axle. we've actually gone full circle on that issue as dead non driving axles are making a big comeback (6 x 2 configuration-in particular in Europe and SA) but that is another story.

Back to this post someone earlier mentioned about collaboration on environmental compliance issues and that might make sense. But common engines? I hope not.

If you think people were pissed in the late 1970's when Chevy engines ended up in Oldsmobiles, wait and see what happens when the same engine in a Camaro is found in a Mustang new off the assembly line.

How upset are people now with Mazda engine in a Mustang?

The 2.3 Ecoboost engine is largely based on the Duratec HE block, which is a clone of Mazda MZR engine.

I don't think we are supposed to take the article at face value and conclude that if Ford and GM worked on engine development together, it means Ford will be using a Chevy engine or vice versa. I don't think there is anything particularly problematic with Ford and GM coming together to design a common block and go on to make its own respectively engines - like how Ford and Mazda worked together to design a common block and went on to make completely different engines from 1.6 MZR to 2.3 Ecoboost and everything in between.

Or take for example, Ford's Duratorq I4 diesel engines which was co-developed with PSA. Ford and PSA then went on to make their own versions - with Ford even making an I5 version unique to Ford only.

Edited by bzcat

How upset are people now with Mazda engine in a Mustang?

The 2.3 Ecoboost engine is largely based on the Duratec HE block, which is a clone of Mazda MZR engine.

I don't think we are supposed to take the article at face value and conclude that if Ford and GM worked on engine development together, it means Ford will be using a Chevy engine or vice versa. I don't think there is anything particularly problematic with Ford and GM coming together to design a common block and go on to make its own respectively engines - like how Ford and Mazda worked together to design a common block and went on to make completely different engines from 1.6 MZR to 2.3 Ecoboost and everything in between.

Or take for example, Ford's Duratorq I4 diesel engines which was co-developed with PSA. Ford and PSA then went on to make their own versions - with Ford even making an I5 version unique to Ford only.

I have to agree, ford 2.0, 2.3 and 2.5 I-4s are Mazda engines. (I am not sure if Ford Still pays a Licencing fee to Mazda)

All Mazda V6 engines are Ford engines.

Each company has their Strengths why not use those strengths where you may be weak?

In specialty non-core powertrains why not share basic engine designs and even manufacturing? why can't ford sell it's HEV and PHEV powertrains to Fiat, or fiat sell it's Light duty Diesel tech to Ford?

why is Ford looking to develop a new V8 to replace the Low volume V10 when it could purchase a big block V8 from GM? is the prestige of an in-house design worth the cost for such a low volume engine?