Is This Ford F-150 Ad a Counter Punch to the Chevy Silverado “Rock Drop” Attack?

If the 5.4 plug issues, which were more widespread and well documented, did not change the dynamic of the truck market, why would anyone believe that this issue, which is being more or less manufactured by GM, will? If the turbo condensation issues which were more widespread and well documented, did not change the dynamic of the truck market, why would anyone believe that this issue, which is being more or less manufactured by GM, will?

In both instances, a leading edge technology employed by Ford exhibited documented shortcomings which did not materially impact sales of the truck.

Arguing that this is going to make a difference when problems with OHC and turbo motors have not is like pushing a rope up hill.

• Like 1

Now, Ford releases an ad titled “The Tough 10 Reasons the Ford F-150 Outpaces Every Other Truck”. It’s a fast-paced piece that starts with a history lesson. The ad shows a key in an ignition of what appears to be an older truck, and a hand trying to start the engine and failing. The narrator says “Those who don’t learn from the past are doomed to drive it.”

Read more here: http://www.tfltruck.com/2016/06/is-this-ford-f-150-ad-a-counter-punch-to-the-chevy-silverado-rock-drop-attack/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSN_c9H9rNE

That's a well done snippet! I like the idea of touting the engineering of the Ford rather than attacking the competition. I think the Dodge Ram and GM/Chevy ads are effective - but I like the Ford style better. And Denis Leary is the perfect narrator. I find it most interesting that Chevy is attacking the aluminum, while scrambling to catch up in that material's use. All good when it comes to Ford Pickups.

And what does warranty say about dropping sharp objects into the back of any half to truck..

GM also managed to score some small pinhole piercings on its own steel beds

so maybe liners for trucks that are going to see this type of duty and we'll call it quits...

Lincoln Lover is way over dramatizing. Aluminum and steel are different............... period. Steel stretches, aluminum doesn't. So yes, an unprotected F150 bed is more likely to get punctured by just the wrong set of circumstances (which GM obviously worked for a year to find). However, lets fast forward a few years, in snow country, and lets look at those same 2 truck beds. The Ford bed will look pretty much like it does now. The GM steel truck bed will have rust forming in all of the holes and places that the paint was "banged" away.

There are a couple of people on truck sites who have punctured their beds. That is all that I have found. Both were the fault of the owner, and they own up to it.

Just as a FYI, these sites have hundreds of thousands of Ford truck owners. If the issue was widespread, you would see thread after thread about it, and one of those fabulous mega threads would have shown up already (just like the GM truck vibration problem).

• Like 3

My dad was mentioning to me how the Ford beds are mounted vs the GM's. Not sure if this is still the case on the Ford's, but on my 2003 the bed bolts come through the top of the bed, through some support beams, then into the frame.

On the GM's, they have a C piece of metal spot welded onto the bottom of the bed, then the bolts go through the frame and into a welded nut on the C piece.

Anecdotally, my father has been noticing that GM's in a frontal type crash, are almost always shearing the C piece of the bed and the bed becomes dislodged in a crash. And I'm not talking it moved a bit. I mean it's been sheared off and totally off the truck. Or maybe hanging on by a single bolt. He hasn't seen any Ford's do this at all.

So GM has its weaknesses in its beds as well.

That looks really nice. I hadn't seen a color matched liner before.

Thanks.

It did add $150 to the cost of a "normal" (read: black) spray-in, but it's held up well (it's over 2 years old in that picture).

I did say "color-matched", but I probably should have said it was simply a color I selected from an available palette (I think there were about 8 - 12 to choose from). Fortunately, it looks virtually the same color as the rest of the truck in person. Many don't recognize that it's a spray-in until they see it up close.

^^^ just make a Bedliner standard equipment lol.

I agree, most people buy them anyway, so why not just go ahead and offer a spray in bedliner as standard.

It would be really slick if they could color-match from the factory, as well.

This is what the aftermarket was capable with mine.

Mine was color matched too, which was easy since my truck is black. :)