Ford to reveal future product plans on Thursday (Bronco under cover and a baby Bronco!)

If we must stick with the E naming scheme, here are a few ideas:

Ford Empower (for the electric one)

Ford Etch.....With the tag line Etch your own path on the map of life (or just Etch your own path). Commercials could show the vehicle driving off-road, and slowly pan out to a satellite view of a map with the car moving across it and a dashed line appearing behind it.

Ford Echelon.

Emerge

Electro

Electron

Edited by rmc523

Im 41. Only memory I have of the Maverick is my Grandma had a cool yellow one with black stripes. I would bet you are wrong. Almost everyone has no idea a Maverick ever existed, and those that do have little knowledge of its finer qualities.

I could agree with that.

Im 41. Only memory I have of the Maverick is my Grandma had a cool yellow one with black stripes. I would bet you are wrong. Almost everyone has no idea a Maverick ever existed, and those that do have little knowledge of its finer qualities.

My memories of the Maverick are of the 289-powered version being an incredibly reliable car. I actually like the old Maverick, but I don't like it for the name of the new baby Bronco.

My memories of the Maverick are of the 289-powered version being an incredibly reliable car. I actually like the old Maverick, but I don't like it for the name of the new baby Bronco.

302 replaced the 289 about a year (1968) before Maverick debuted (1969 1/2). The 302 debuted in 1968, and I don't think the Maverick offered the 302 until 1971, the same year the 4 door Maverick debuted. I think the Maverick only had inline sixes for 1969 and 1970. I think the 170 was the base engine the first year of the Maverick.

• Like 1

Was a personal attack on me necessary? I'm not the only person contributing to this post (BTW, which I started) who associates the name Maverick with something cheap and junky.

Its not the only name associated with something cheap and chintzy. At one time, so were Mustang, Bronco, F150, Ranger et al.

Its not the only name associated with something cheap and chintzy. At one time, so were Mustang, Bronco, F150, Ranger et al.

I wouldn’t call those cheap and chintzy. Affordable or less expensive, sure, but all those at least had classic styling.

If we must stick with the E naming scheme, here are a few ideas:

Ford Empower (for the electric one)

Ford Etch.....With the tag line Etch your own path on the map of life (or just Etch your own path). Commercials could show the vehicle driving off-road, and slowly pan out to a satellite view of a map with the car moving across it and a dashed line appearing behind it.

Ford Echelon.

Emerge

Electro

Electron

Ford Voltage

Ford Amper

Ford Flashover

Ford Farad

Ford Electrify

Ford Corona

Ford Askeral

Edited by RadicalX

302 replaced the 289 about a year (1968) before Maverick debuted (1969 1/2). The 302 debuted in 1968, and I don't think the Maverick offered the 302 until 1971, the same year the 4 door Maverick debuted. I think the Maverick only had inline sixes for 1969 and 1970. I think the 170 was the base engine the first year of the Maverick.

Well, I didn't say they were accurate memories. ;)

• Like 1

People seem to only remember the bad stuff about Ford models. Every time there's a story about Ford posted, someone is almost sure to say something about exploding Pinto's, flipping over Explorer's, plugs flying out of PowerStroke engines and of course the latest, steering wheels falling off. Even though it's only 3 and Ford recalled them quickly to fix.

See, it's hard to know because our only frame of reference is what we see and remember of those names,

Ford on the other hand has the money to spend on actual market research and feedback from potential buyers.

For those not aware, Maverick was a clever rework of the 1960s Falcon floor pan with new two door and four door top hats,

safety was upgraded by adding a modified Mustang forward crash protection module. Not a bad effort but the Aussie Falcon

was much better and allowed FOA to make larger and longer wheelbase Fairlane / LTD

I'm of the belief that most of Ford's past model names should stay in the past as they probably don't connect well with

the new Products Ford is releasing......Having said that, Ford has seen fit to add the Mach 1 name to a Mustang inspired

electric utility. I have no problem with it so long as the name used is appropriate.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 2

Ford Konik or Ford Quarab are better names than arousing the fury of the Maverick V8 enthusiasts; The car would be born hated for not being coupe and by not charging a V8 engine

I think you're overestimating both the number of Maverick enthusiasts and their reaction.
  • Like 2

No "hot rod Lincoln coupe", it's not the 80s. "Ford won't walk away from mid size cars", is posted often, but they are walking.

Correct, eyes are clearly on what people want today, and the what if with rising fuel is being addressed by more hybrids.

Ford plans to offer a hybrid variant -- either a traditional hybrid, a plug-in hybrid or both -- on every new utility it adds or redesigns moving forward. The automaker expects to overtake Toyota in hybrid sales by 2021. Ford is currently No. 2.

"We're moving past hybrids as a science project," Jim Farley, Ford's president of global markets, told reporters during an event at the automaker's product development center. "They're an accepted, reliable technology, and we want to make them as emotional and valuable as the desirable EcoBoost."

Changes to cars that will be staying is indicative of serving a diminished group of buyers, Ford is entitled to walk away from

segments that don't work anymore and invest in new ones where customers are ready to embrace new products.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

Valkyrie

Icon/ikon

Triton

Interceptor

Panther

Python

Thunder

Marauder

FX

Mercenary

Vengeance

Legion

Outlaw

Archon

Phoenix

Sentry

Raven

Reaper

Scout

Adrenaline

Elite

Tremor

I think Ford Phoenix has a nice ring to it, and it could have a pretty cool logo too. I liked the Ford FX as well since FX is already associated with off-road within the ford family. I always liked the triton name and thought it belonged on a vehicle instead of an engine.

Edited by T-dubz

I don’t think they’re walking away from Fusion for good unless it comes down to lack of factory capacity and they’re not willing to expand.

With Continental gone there is plenty of room in FRAP for a Lincstang and a mid sized sedan. It would be silly to only do 3 CD6 vehicles and only 1 in FRAP.

• Like 1

I don’t think they’re walking away from Fusion for good unless it comes down to lack of factory capacity and they’re not willing to expand.

With Continental gone there is plenty of room in FRAP for a Lincstang and a mid sized sedan. It would be silly to only do 3 CD6 vehicles and only 1 in FRAP.

I think Fusion will have the same path as the Taurus.