Ford giving up on Fiesta, Focus and Fusion

The problem with Fusion is that the market has raced toward the bottom at the same time the top end of the Midsize market has been gobbled up by Crossovers. So all the profitable customers are buying other things while all the budget-focused shoppers are getting their midsize sedans cheaper than ever. It's not a sustainable business model anymore no matter how many you sell.

• Like 2

If the Ranger is anything to go by it'll only take 5 years or so to get a passenger car back in North America if the market shifts. :)

No, Ranger was (still is) subject to Chicken Tax so Ford decided not to import it after the free trade deal with Thailand fell apart. Otherwise, we would have had it all this time.

There is no such issue with cars. If the market snaps back to cars, Ford can imported them with very little lead time required.

Fusion may have also been designed for higher margin customers that disappeared, the move up market made sense during the midsize boom...but now people only buy the cheapest SE they can find while everybody else buys the Escape Titanium. Ford would have to go back and re-engineer the Fusion for tighter profits again but ultimately it's not feasible for a declining segment.

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 2

quote; "...now people only buy the cheapest SE..."

^ I'd really like confirmation from` dealers - esp other areas [no offense]

But isn't the Fusion assembly being done in Mexico cheaper than dirt?

Must be much lower costs comparing to the non-union labor assembly locations.

just an impression, that it's not an order of magnitude each, like half?

Mex divide US pay by 5

China do it again?

Edited by 2b2

quote; "...now people only buy the cheapest SE..."

^ I'd really like confirmation from` dealers - esp other areas [no offense]

just an impression, that it's not an order of magnitude each, like half?

Mex divide US pay by 5

China do it again?

Especially in an existing plant as opposed to reconfigure Hermosillo

I think that the media and the general public are overreacting on Ford's announcement. They never said that they are abandoning the midsize car segment but rather investigating on how to redefine it through the "white space" ideas. I think what they mean is that they could bring back fusion in a few years time in a hatchback form in that it would look like a sedan but have the utility of what a rear hatch can offer, much like what he vw arteon or tesla model s accomplishes. They could very well do that with the Focus or any other 4 door passenger car as well. But only time will tell.

Edited by xander7

I was counting FCA as American since everyone else does.

I didnt even know Subaru had a plant here

Not knocking you fuzzymoomoo sir, but it's wrong for people to count FCA as an American company. It's not and never was. FCA is headquartered in the U.K., registered in the Netherlands, and largely controlled by the Agnelli family in Italy.

Subaru's U.S. plant (SIA) is in Lafayette, Indiana. All U.S. market Subarus except BRZ and Forester are assembled there. Workforce doesn't participate in any labor unions.

I think that the media and the general public are overreacting on Ford's announcement. They never said that they are abandoning the midsize car segment but rather investigating on how to redefine it through the "white space" ideas. I think what they mean is that they could bring back fusion in a few years time in a hatchback form in that it would look like a sedan but have the utility of what a rear hatch can offer, much like what he vw arteon or tesla model s accomplishes. They could very well do that with the Focus or any other 4 door passenger car as well. But only time will tell.

The Mondeo is a hatchback, but as long as it still has the sedan silhouette it's probably not going to appeal to enough people who still want the ride height and taller cargo space which is also part of the equation that draws people.

I mean I would absolutely love it if Ford (and Especially Lincoln) started making coupe-like SUVs like the Germans are doing. They seem to be the disdain of car enthusiasts but I have always loved them. Right now mainstream automakers are divided between sedan and crossover customers with very little in-between and it's that in-between that we still have yet to see outside of luxury. It's a little like the time before Crossovers, we had BOF SUVs and Cars, and now we have Crossovers which doomed both...now Crossovers have the freedom to take on overlapping spaces as the deck is cleared.

Edited by Assimilator

The Mondeo is a hatchback, but as long as it still has the sedan silhouette it's probably not going to appeal to enough people who still want the ride height and taller cargo space which is also part of the equation that draws people.

I mean I would absolutely love it if Ford (and Especially Lincoln) started making coupe-like SUVs like the Germans are doing. They seem to be the disdain of car enthusiasts but I have always loved them. Right now mainstream automakers are divided between sedan and crossover customers with very little in-between and it's that in-between that we still have yet to see outside of luxury. It's a little like the time before Crossovers, we had BOF SUVs and Cars, and now we have Crossovers which doomed both...now Crossovers have the freedom to take on overlapping spaces as the deck is cleared.

Mondeo is available as either a 5-door hatchback with bustle tail or a Stationwagon.

maybe Ford could go the Subaru direction with a jacked up S/W,,,errr, Sportswagon.

hybrid02.jpg

5ES_225.JPG

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

Fusion may have also been designed for higher margin customers that disappeared, the move up market made sense during the midsize boom...but now people only buy the cheapest SE they can find while everybody else buys the Escape Titanium. Ford would have to go back and re-engineer the Fusion for tighter profits again but ultimately it's not feasible for a declining segment.

It can't help that the fusion hasn't had a serious update in forever... of course people are buying different vehicles!

• Like 1

It can't help that the fusion hasn't had a serious update in forever... of course people are buying different vehicles!

This has been Ford's practice for years and they never learn but are just content to let the competition catch up and surpass them while the Ford models die from neglect. Ford says they're losing money on 200,000+ Fusions built at a non-union plant in Mexico? Someone might want to look at management if that's true. Customers looking to trade or coming off a lease and looking for a new vehicle want something that looks new. It was so nice in the 60's and 70's when vehicles got redesigned every 3 years. Each vehicle had its own design characteristics that gave it its identity and those elements were maintained and revised for the next generation to keep that model's identity. You could always identify the new models which helped drive the trade-in sales, etc.

• Like 3

A four door Mustang on CD6 should be called anything other than Mustang...Fusion, Taurus, Torino, Thunderbird, Falcon.....anything but Mustang.

Ill never understand that. Why not capitalize on the name? Is the Wrangler any less a Wrangler because its available as a four door? In fact the four door has kept the two door alive and allowed for continued development. A four door mustang called Falcon that doesnt share body panels with the two door does not do that.

This is an imminent disaster. Bill Ford needs to see how the Bronco and Ranger do in the market before taking a risky plunge like this.

Why Sedan sales have been shrinking for the past 2-3 years at 20-25% and the stalwarts like the Camry and Accord are getting outsold by their respective compact CUVs by their maker.

• Like 1

A four door Mustang on CD6 should be called anything other than Mustang...Fusion, Taurus, Torino, Thunderbird, Falcon.....anything but Mustang.

This. I agree. Mustang should only be 2-door rear driven coupe, convertible, or even hatchback. Not sedan, CUV, SUV, or anything else. I do like idea of Thunderbird being used on CD6 as a 4-door sportback sedan (think Audi A5 Sportback) as what Ford has been saying as 'white space' silhouette vehicle. But Mustang should retain its 2-door long hood/short deck rear drive layout.

Edited to correct few of my mistakes.

Edited by pffan1990
  • Like 2

This. I agree. Mustang should only be 2-door rear driven coupe, convertible, or even hatchback. Not sedan, CUV, SUV, or anything else. I do like idea of Thunderbird being used on CD6 as a 4-door sportback sedan (think Audi A5 Sportback) as what Ford has been saying as 'white space' silhouette vehicle. But Mustang should retain its 2-door long hood/short deck rear drive layout.

Edited to correct few of my mistakes.

Problem is the market would love a 4 door Mustang and with theyd sell a ton of them.