Jump to content
  • Custom Search


blwnsmoke

More 2020 Explorer issues...

Recommended Posts

On 1/10/2020 at 4:43 PM, akirby said:


You got lucky.  That is neither a defect in material or workmanship.

I dunno--I'd argue that a half-shaft that got bent merely from driving on a crappy road and not from something impacting on it must've had a defect in materials.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, SoonerLS said:

I dunno--I'd argue that a half-shaft that got bent merely from driving on a crappy road and not from something impacting on it must've had a defect in materials.


nope, it's negligence and I'm awful for ever making a factory warranty repair according to that one guy. Everything should be perfect all the time. 
 

hell, for that matter, why do we even have warranties? It should just work all the time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:


nope, it's negligence and I'm awful for ever making a factory warranty repair according to that one guy. Everything should be perfect all the time. 
 

hell, for that matter, why do we even have warranties? It should just work all the time. 


Nobody said you were negligent.  What if the truck in front of you loses its load and you drive over it?  Not your fault but should Ford cover that?  What about a sinkhole that swallows your car?  Should Ford cover that since it wasn’t your fault?

 

Maybe it was a defective part and thats why they replaced it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, every time i lost a load i ended up with a daughter...not sure what the relationship of bad roads (pot holes) is in regards to thats but its my personal experience...may be ford can warranty my claim?...

Edited by snooter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2020 at 5:53 PM, 02MustangGT said:

Yeah that didn’t work for me.  I noticed a slight bulge in the sidewall on one of the tires on my 2017 Fusion Sport.  Car had 1000 miles on it, took it in for other warranty related items and the dealer would not cover the tire defect under warranty.  I never hit a pothole, I’m sure it was there when I bought it new.  I will be inspecting the next new vehicle I purchase in a manner rivaling a CSI team working a crime scene. 

 

Many years ago..I was the manager of a Montgomery Ward Auto Express. MW sent me to the Michelin tire plant in South Carolina for tire training. I learned many things about tires and what you had was known as in "impact/pinch break" to the inner rubber liner of the tire casing. it is caused by many things, chiefly curb strikes but also potholes too that were not enough to make the tire fail immediately but caused a small break in the liner as the rubber was pinched between the rim edge and the hard surface you just hit. A person so "vehiculary afflicted" would get out of the car, look at the tire and be thankful that the tire was not shredded.  The problem is that once the pinch break was created, air would begin to leak through it to the outer casing of the tire and cause the slight budge (also called an egg bubble) in the sidewall. The leaking process would take 1-2 months of driving to create the bulge in the sidewall and typically, the car owner simply forgot that they hit the curb/pothole and want to claim a defective tire.

PS: The last place you would take a tire for defect/warranty inspection is the car dealer where you bought the car. You should contact the tire manufacturer and ask them where (tire retailer/service center) you should bring the tire to for inspection.

 

The old story goes that car manufacturers want three things in a tire for their cars..they want them black, round, and cheap and the first two don't really count.

Edited by twintornados

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, twintornados said:

PS: The last place you would take a tire for defect/warranty inspection is the car dealer where you bought the car. You should contact the tire manufacturer and ask them where (tire retailer/service center) you should bring the tire to for inspection.

 

The old story goes that car manufacturers want three things in a tire for their cars..they want them black, round, and cheap and the first two don't really count.

While I appreciate your input, the dealer is a tire retailer and service center for the tire brands that are installed at the factory (Goodyear in this case).  So yes, I am going to trust the dealer to inspect the tire defect accordingly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, 02MustangGT said:

While I appreciate your input, the dealer is a tire retailer and service center for the tire brands that are installed at the factory (Goodyear in this case).  So yes, I am going to trust the dealer to inspect the tire defect accordingly. 

 

You could not be any more wrong about that. I had a set of Continentals on my first new car purchase, a 2006 Ford Fusion, that after 14K miles, were worn down to the tread bars on all four tires. Receipts showing rotations a 5K and 10K and alignment check at 8K. Ford dealer may sell tires but are not a servicing tire dealer per Continental. I contacted Continental and was directed to a "servicing tire dealer" and I was able to get a pro-rated adjustment for my prematurely worn tires that was satisfactory to me and kept me a satisfied Continental tire buyer.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Took delivery of a new 2020 Limited last week. Did not get off the lot before the brakes failed. Parts ordered, but replacement brake booster on back-order. Dealer says maybe next week. Come on Ford, get it together!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, akirby said:

Brake booster?  WTF???

 

My thought exactly. Dealer now says he will see if can pull a part from another new unit. Is this where Ford is on the 2020 Explorer now? Cannibalizing units? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, scottfmcc said:

Is this where Ford is on the 2020 Explorer now? Cannibalizing units? 

 

That happens every few years on different models when parts are hard to get but that's up to the dealer - I don't think Ford condones that officially.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, scottfmcc said:

 

My thought exactly. Dealer now says he will see if can pull a part from another new unit. Is this where Ford is on the 2020 Explorer now? Cannibalizing units? 

Cannibalizing units has been going on for decades, and more than just Ford. You don't like doing it but sometimes you don't have a choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, akirby said:

Brake booster?  WTF???

 

Yup and we have had reports from members (2 or 3) that upon startup and applying the brake and then shifting to reverse, the vehicle starts reversing even though foot is on the brake.

 

Took a full restart for it to respond properly to brake commands.  One owner had the reverse sensing slam the  brakes on due to cross traffic behind him even though he had his foot into it on the  brake pedal.  Pretty damn scary putting your vehicle in reverse and then not being able to stop.

 

Must be this ingenious idea of an electronic brake booster instead of hydraulic or vacuum.

Edited by blwnsmoke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There will always be potential for issue with fully electronic brakes. No one seems to remember what a nightmare these were in the late 80s/early 90s.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2020 at 9:19 AM, blwnsmoke said:

 

Does your ST have the standard 20" wheels, Street Pack or Track Pack?  I have the Street Pack and it doesn't have it.  The 2 on the dealer lot I checked (I updated the Explorer thread with pictures) both had the standard 20" wheels.

 

I checked 5 Explorer's on the lot, 2 STs, 1 Platinum, 1 XLT and 1 Limited.  The two Explorers with the 2.3 had the rear piece installed.  The 3 ST/Platinums with the 3.0 did not have it installed.  

 

Ford parts definitely shows it as being on there for the ST with the part number and cost.  And now that we confirmed yours had it, shows that all these vehicles have missing parts.

Sorry for the slow response, I’ve been out of pocket the last few days. Our ST has the Street Pack, with  the 21” wheels. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tbone said:

Sorry for the slow response, I’ve been out of pocket the last few days. Our ST has the Street Pack, with  the 21” wheels. 

 

Nothing is making sense of this.  Even if this was a rolling change and they added it later on in the production, yours which is an Oct build has it and someone on the Explorer forum who has a November build does NOT have it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, blwnsmoke said:

 

Nothing is making sense of this.  Even if this was a rolling change and they added it later on in the production, yours which is an Oct build has it and someone on the Explorer forum who has a November build does NOT have it.  


it sounds like an F’up to me.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im heading to a local dealer tomorrow or Saturday.  They have 2 identical ST's with street pack, one ABM in color and one MM in color, my top 2 choices.  One has a build of 11/5 (arrived 12/2) and one has a build of 12/20 and arrived 1/10.  I will check both for the rear piece.

 

Any thoughts on overall quality/issues/etc being better on either of these due to the later builds, and obviously lack of visit to flat rock?  Im really interested in these, but concerned about all of the different issues i read on the different forums (this missing piece, suspension noise, wind noise on passenger side, gas sloshing noise, etc).  Obviously not everyone has these issues, and certainly we are bound to hear about them more since people come to these forums to talk, but still concerned about moving forward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, CoolDude919 said:

Im heading to a local dealer tomorrow or Saturday.  They have 2 identical ST's with street pack, one ABM in color and one MM in color, my top 2 choices.  One has a build of 11/5 (arrived 12/2) and one has a build of 12/20 and arrived 1/10.  I will check both for the rear piece.

 

Any thoughts on overall quality/issues/etc being better on either of these due to the later builds, and obviously lack of visit to flat rock?  Im really interested in these, but concerned about all of the different issues i read on the different forums (this missing piece, suspension noise, wind noise on passenger side, gas sloshing noise, etc).  Obviously not everyone has these issues, and certainly we are bound to hear about them more since people come to these forums to talk, but still concerned about moving forward.

My daughter has an early build ST and has no reported issues after nearly 6,000 miles. Took delivery first week of September.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I’d be a little concerned about the long-term reliability of the 2020 Explorer. I don’t think the old saying “never buy the first model year” is as meaningful these days as it was years ago, but in the case of the Explorer it might be best to hold off for awhile if you have the choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 2005Explorer said:

Personally I’d be a little concerned about the long-term reliability of the 2020 Explorer. I don’t think the old saying “never buy the first model year” is as meaningful these days as it was years ago, but in the case of the Explorer it might be best to hold off for awhile if you have the choice.

I wouldn’t be too worried about long term. Most issues will show early during warranty period. Now being inconvenienced having to keep taking it back for repair, may be another story. 
If it takes a long time for the problems to show up, say 70k miles, fixes won’t be introduced in production for a year or

so.  Meaning Buying a job 1 or Job 2 production vehicle won’t make a difference.

Edited by fordtech1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, CoolDude919 said:

Im heading to a local dealer tomorrow or Saturday.  They have 2 identical ST's with street pack, one ABM in color and one MM in color, my top 2 choices.  One has a build of 11/5 (arrived 12/2) and one has a build of 12/20 and arrived 1/10.  I will check both for the rear piece.

 

Any thoughts on overall quality/issues/etc being better on either of these due to the later builds, and obviously lack of visit to flat rock?  Im really interested in these, but concerned about all of the different issues i read on the different forums (this missing piece, suspension noise, wind noise on passenger side, gas sloshing noise, etc).  Obviously not everyone has these issues, and certainly we are bound to hear about them more since people come to these forums to talk, but still concerned about moving forward.

 

Anyone have the story/fix about the wind noise on the passenger side? I have that, but haven't a posting about it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, scottfmcc said:

 

Anyone have the story/fix about the wind noise on the passenger side? I have that, but haven't a posting about it. 

 

Nope, nobody has been able to get it fixed.  I believe 1 had the mirror replaced and it wasnt that because it still did it.

Edited by blwnsmoke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, 2005Explorer said:

I don’t think the old saying “never buy the first model year” is as meaningful these days as it was years ago

 

People who buy a completely new or redesigned Ford vehicle in its first model year will become very familiar with their dealership's service department.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×