Electric Vehicle Discussion Thread - Ford Related

rperez817

15 hours ago, jpd80 said:

5,000 people is quite a small survey but I can understand some of the findings in that survey. Most people don’t follow the industry super closely and a lower level of awareness is to be expected. At the moment, automakers are cherry picking the BEV customers they want, be that Tesla, VW, Ford or GM. None are really going after the market with dollar for dollar ICE replacements and that’s the main kicker for many even before discussing recharging or range anxiety.

actually 5000 is a huge survey. most of the time you get statistically significant sample with just a few hundred people. It's all about the sampling method... how did they choose that 5000 people.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bzcat said:

actually 5000 is a huge survey. most of the time you get statistically significant sample with just a few hundred people. It's all about the sampling method... how did they choose that 5000 people.

Exactly, from my quick search it looks like Cox Automotive supply services to dealerships and fleets….

All I’m saying is that it’s a small survey in respect to the 15-17 million new vehicle sales every year, Cox Automotive lists over 40,000 dealerships in five countries as their clients. So it sounds like the poll was conducted on only people who chose to respond, I’m not saying it’s inaccurate but the way it’s presented gives no detail  on who, how, what where……

8 hours ago, Chrisgb said:

IIRC, for 1965  Chrysler Corp discontinued the pushbutton Torqueflite automatic controls largely at the behest of rental car companies who were getting customer complaints about cars not having a gearshift stalk.

I thought that push button transmission setups had buttons that would stick? That was part of the  reason they got rid of them? 

15 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

I thought that push button transmission setups had buttons that would stick? That was part of the  reason they got rid of them? 

Hadn't heard that. I don't have the source of my claim anymore, but at the time I was fifteen and subscribed to all the car mags, so I probably read it there.

Never had a problem with my '63 Plymouth Belvedere's buttons; T-Flite or HVAC  (bought in '67).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chrisgb said:

Hadn't heard that. I don't have the source of my claim anymore, but at the time I was fifteen and subscribed to all the car mags, so I probably read it there.

Never had a problem with my '63 Plymouth Belvedere's buttons; T-Flite or HVAC  (bought in '67).

I remember the Chrysler and Edsel push buttons, but for some reason it never really caught on. I like the rotary dial on my Escape and it seems to be slowly catching on with other auto companies. The push buttons on the Lincoln to me are just a gimmick. The traditional gear shift selector to me takes up too much space. The rotary dial creates much more space for other features. 

• Like 1

Ford is collaborating with winegrowers in Sonoma County, California on a pilot project deploying F-150 Lightning, E-Transit, and Ford Pro software and services. Farming of the Future: Ford Pro, Sonoma County Winegrowers Join Forces to Electrify Business of Farming | Ford Media Center

The heart of the mission is to demonstrate how electric vehicles and web-based fleet management tools can have a positive impact on the agriculture industry in terms of increasing productivity, improving sustainability and lowering the total cost of fleet ownership anywhere from 10% to 20%

“Ford Pro is thrilled to team with the Sonoma County Winegrowers to further their sustainability goals and begin their transition to fully integrated all-electric fleets with on-site charging,” said Wanda Young, Ford Pro global chief marketing officer. “Ford Pro and the Sonoma County Winegrowers are driven by many of the same tenets – to accelerate productivity while operating responsibly.”

The pilot program is launching with Bevill Vineyard Management and Vino Farms in Healdsburg, and Dutton Ranch in Sebastopol – which collectively represent about 4,000 acres in the vineyard-rich Russian River Valley. Young anticipates the program will expand in the coming months to include other farming operations in the county.

21 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Mustang Mach E name has just been trademarked in Australia, sounds like Ford is preparing for launch later this year

Mach E should be well received in Australia and New Zealand. The RHD markets are always difficult but as long as Ford is in UK, you should at least receive anything the UK gets. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bzcat said:

Mach E should be well received in Australia and New Zealand. The RHD markets are always difficult but as long as Ford is in UK, you should at least receive anything the UK gets. 

Ford Australia has announced previously that up to six electrified vehicles will be launched in the next two years, I take that to include the PHEV Escape, e Transit, Mach E plus three other nameplates maybe a hybrid Ranger is one of them…maybe not.

Edited by jpd80

6 electrified model for Australia? That's basically the entire range of Ford vehicles for sale in Australia ?

1. Ranger PHEV or hybrid

2. Everest (if Ranger PHEV or hybrid exists, no reason Everest won't)

3. Mustang hybrid

4. eTransit

5. Escape PHEV or hybrid

6. Mach E (or if that doesn't happen... Puma 48V)

Edited by bzcat
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, bzcat said:

6 electrified model for Australia? That's basically the entire range of Ford vehicles for sale in Australia ?

1. Ranger PHEV or hybrid

2. Everest (if Ranger PHEV or hybrid exists, no reason Everest won't)

3. Mustang hybrid

4. eTransit

5. Escape PHEV or hybrid

6. Mach E (or if that doesn't happen... Puma 48V)

Man, if that’s true, Ford could be looking at a major shift in getting more buyers, it’s gotta bode well for future sales

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Its an easy/lazy way of dividing people. 

Similar to the urban vs rural used in the article.  I get the impression that the politicians in Washington just don’t understand the folks in rural areas they are supposed to represent.

Many just don’t have the means to buy a high priced electric car that might save them some money over the life of the vehicle…depends on how long the battery lasts and where they charge.  A 20k, 40mpg Maverick hybrid just works out better economically.  A Rivian R1T gets 314 miles out of a 135kwh battery pack.

12k miles @ $3.20/gallon is $960 in fuel for the Maverick.

12k miles @ $0.12/kWh is $620 in electric.  If you have to use an electrify America charging station like TFL at a cost of $0.31/kWh, you would spend $1600.

The savings touted by the politicians just isn’t there over driving an inexpensive, fuel efficient vehicle.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, slemke said:

Similar to the urban vs rural used in the article. 

That's the argument they should have stuck with. There was zero reason to bring up Trump. Zero. 

23 minutes ago, slemke said:

I get the impression that the politicians in Washington just don’t understand the folks in rural areas they are supposed to represent.

Nope. Not many politicians in DC have ever had to work a real middle class job in their lives and the few that have are so narcissistic the people that voted them into the office are viewed as beneath them. 

25 minutes ago, slemke said:

Many just don’t have the means to buy a high priced electric car that might save them some money over the life of the vehicle…depends on how long the battery lasts and where they charge.  A 20k, 40mpg Maverick hybrid just works out better economically.  A Rivian R1T gets 314 miles out of a 135kwh battery pack.

12k miles @ $3.20/gallon is $960 in fuel for the Maverick.

12k miles @ $0.12/kWh is $620 in electric.  If you have to use an electrify America charging station like TFL at a cost of $0.31/kWh, you would spend $1600.

The savings touted by the politicians just isn’t there over driving an inexpensive, fuel efficient vehicle.

Back on topic.

Its not even really a matter of means, it's the right tool for the job, a concept the elites will never understand. Electric vehicles just aren't for everyone, not yet at least. Given enough time we could get to that point but I doubt it will be any time soon. You'll have a hard time convincing a farmer in BFE Kansas that an electric truck can outwork that 30-40 year old diesel truck that's been on his farm for 2 generations for as long of a period as that old diesel. Then there's the obvious handicap of reduced range that comes with towing or carrying a full load in the bed. Out in the country like that, that is a nonstarter. Period. 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Its not even really a matter of means, it's the right tool for the job, a concept the elites will never understand. Electric vehicles just aren't for everyone, not yet at least. Given enough time we could get to that point but I doubt it will be any time soon. You'll have a hard time convincing a farmer in BFE Kansas that an electric truck can outwork that 30-40 year old diesel truck that's been on his farm for 2 generations for as long of a period as that old diesel. Then there's the obvious handicap of reduced range that comes with towing or carrying a full load in the bed. Out in the country like that, that is a nonstarter. Period. 

Very well put.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

That's the argument they should have stuck with. There was zero reason to bring up Trump. Zero. 

Nope. Not many politicians in DC have ever had to work a real middle class job in their lives and the few that have are so narcissistic the people that voted them into the office are viewed as beneath them. 

Back on topic.

Correct.

Places like the United Kingdom and European Countries can more easily justify electric vehicles by having a much smaller land mass, higher population density. So the expectations and outcomes there are not directly interchangeable to the US and a more decentralised population. Sure the capitols have loads of people but ignoring the infrastructure required in regional areas is a big mistake.

I think the railroads are showing promise with their diesel electrics being repowered with smaller more efficient MG sets and battery packs to assist starting a train and then the diesels take over on their own, dynamic braking storing energy for the next set off. I could imagine road transport taking a leaf out of that book, making the diesel more efficient and energy conservation put to use saving wear on brakes and using the stored eagerly for starting a heavy load.

• Like 1

https://www.autoblog.com/2022/02/01/ford-ev-spending-20-billion-reorganization/

Ford Motor Co. is planning a major reorganization to prepare for the electric future, using Tesla Inc.’s success as a road map and accelerating EV spending by as much $20 billion.

The effort, led by a former Apple Inc. and Tesla executive, calls for Ford to spend an additional $10 billion to $20 billion over the next five to 10 years converting factories worldwide to electric-vehicle production from making gasoline-powered cars, according to people familiar with the plan. That would be on top of the $30 billion Ford already has committed to EVs through 2025.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rmc523 said:

https://www.autoblog.com/2022/02/01/ford-ev-spending-20-billion-reorganization/

Ford Motor Co. is planning a major reorganization to prepare for the electric future, using Tesla Inc.’s success as a road map and accelerating EV spending by as much $20 billion.

The effort, led by a former Apple Inc. and Tesla executive, calls for Ford to spend an additional $10 billion to $20 billion over the next five to 10 years converting factories worldwide to electric-vehicle production from making gasoline-powered cars, according to people familiar with the plan. That would be on top of the $30 billion Ford already has committed to EVs through 2025.

GM are doing the same, but sounds like they are ahead of Ford with their timeline:

General Motors' transition to electric vehicles will ramp up quickly, CEO Mary Barra says, with plans to deliver 400,000 EVs in North America through 2023.

Barra shared the timeline, along with a series of other EV commitments, with investors as the automaker detailed fourth-quarter and full-year financial results Tuesday. GM has said it plans to invest $35 billion in electric and autonomous vehicle development and will launch 30 EVs globally through 2025, two-thirds of which will come to the North America market. Barra told investors and reporters on Tuesday that GM will pull ahead significant EV investments over the next three years and will share more details once the plans are finalized.

It sounds like they are going all in on trucks early on: 

Last week, GM pledged nearly $7 billion to convert its Chevrolet Bolt assembly plant in Orion Township, Mich., to build electric Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra full-size electric pickups and to build an Ultium battery plant with LG Energy Solution in Lansing, Mich. GM also plans to build a third EV truck plant, joining Orion Assembly and Factory Zero in Detroit, Barra said Tuesday.

The Michigan investments will give GM more than 1 million units of EV capacity in North America through 2025, Barra said, including 600,000 full size trucks. The automaker plans to also have more than than 1 million units of EV capacity in China over the same timeframe.

"I can tell you right now, 1 million units in North America won't be enough to meet the steep inflection in demand that we expect starting mid-decade for our EVs," Barra said. "That's why we'll continue to convert ICE capacity to EVs and plan to invest in a third EV truck plant. We are formulating plans for the truck plant right now and we'll share more as we work through the details."

Lastly, they have a plan for affordable EVs:

Barra expects that the Chevy Equinox EV – priced at about $30,000—will be one of GM's most anticipated reveals this year. The electric crossover is slated to go on sale in 2023. GM also plans to launch an EV priced lower than the Equinox, Barra said.

"The efficiencies created by the Ultium platform are a key reason why we will be able to deliver a truly affordable EVs like the Equinox," Barra said. "Affordable EVs are part of the market that startups aren't targeting, but they are key to driving mass adoption of EVs, which is a national and a global priority."

I can't help but think that Ford are being influenced by all of this; it can't be a coincidence that the Ford nugget quoted by rmc dropped near the same time that GM were revealing these plans.

https://www.autonews.com/manufacturing/gm-aims-deliver-400000-evs-north-america-through-2023?utm_source=breaking-news&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20220201&utm_content=hero-headline

Edited by Harley Lover
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Harley Lover said:

I can't help but think that Ford are being influenced by all of this; it can't be a coincidence that the Ford nugget quoted by rmc dropped near the same time that GM were revealing these plans.

https://www.autonews.com/manufacturing/gm-aims-deliver-400000-evs-north-america-through-2023?utm_source=breaking-news&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20220201&utm_content=hero-headline

Not a coincidence, the “war has begun” and don’t forget that Toyota is spending $70 billion in a huge catch up effort.?

Heres a question, with $20 billion extra, what is Ford now planning, is this on top of its VW MEB based vehicles or instead of them?

Or is the $20 billion just to ramp up resources in development and electric technology, battery chemistry all part of become “Tesla”.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Well, people were convinced that the $1,000 flatscreen TV that lasts 2 years is better than the picture tube TV that never dies, so the drive to be modern sometimes outweighs the drive to be practical. 

3 hours ago, Harley Lover said:

GM are doing the same, but sounds like they are ahead of Ford with their timeline:

Yes sir Harley Lover, GM was ahead of Ford with BEV until the Bolt recall fiasco last year, and as you mentioned is also ahead in terms of BEV rollout plans in the near future.

Ford has 2 huge advantages over GM though.

1. Ford's CEO properly acknowledges that Tesla is far ahead of everyone else with designing and marketing BEV.
  2. Ford now has an executive who used to work at Tesla directly involved with Ford's BEV efforts.