UAW Demands 46% Pay Hike

27 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Which is stupid in and of itself because there’s so many things beyond gasoline that petroleum is used for it’s next to impossible to stop using oil at this point. 

They don’t care.  They see an oil company made billions in profit and they hate it, even though their profit margins are actually very small in comparison to other industries.  Exxon lost $23B in 2020.  2022 profit margins were only 8%.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, jasonj80 said:

The leaked emails show the UAW just wants to cost pain to the companies which I’m not sure why - your just hurting yourself in the long run which shows how DUMB the people running the UAW are right now. Next year there will be little to no profit sharing as there will be little to no profit - so the signing bonus will replace profit sharing. It’s a net 0 gain in the long run.

As for the argument that CEO and board pay should work for free and given to the employees that would amount to .84 cents an hour on base pay if their pay is 100million dollars for total board compensation. If that’s all the UAW wants over the life of the contract so be it. But I’m not sure the UAW members advocating this could run the company as they also fight to be paid weekly because they can’t budget their money longer than that (also why they want a pension) 

This is irreversible damage to perception of the companies which just leads to lower sales and you can bet billions that Ford will be building and expanding their presence in Mexico just as others have done. You have a job at 40.00 an hour you have no job at 60.00 an hour. 

If anyone tried to get the 30% of signatures at a plant to trigger an election for  the plant to remain unionized one of two things would happen, they would end up dead or this would be settled. 

Also don’t really care what someone with a Prius says it’s not like he supported the UAW with his purchase. Also my friend says they say that to convince themselves they made a good purchase and says that to them. “Sounds like your just trying convince yourself it is because if it was that good sales wouldn’t have fallen as much as they have” Then follows it up with “is it though” when they try and explain and then  adds goes how most Prius people have moved on to Teslas and a Prius is the number one vehicle traded in. It’s really funny to watch how angry they get. 

I do agree that Ford will likely retaliate long term for these actions. I can see them investing further in Mexico sadly. Our unifor contract barely passed the uaw would’ve thrown it in the trash lol with what they’re demanding. I really just hope this gets resolved soon. It’s really the pension that are a MAJOR sticking point and the battery plants. I said it along time ago I just don’t believe legacy pensions are returning. I’ve been blasted by some people at work for saying that. SO BE IT!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Oacjay98 said:

I do agree that Ford will likely retaliate long term for these actions.

It’s not even retaliation.  It’s just the inevitable financial consequences of their demands.  You can’t make money paying workers twice or triple what your competitors are paying when your profit margins are single digits.  They’ll move the plants to Mexico or Canada or outsource it to their partner or a 3rd party.  Either way the end result is a loss of jobs for bothe the UAW and the US.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, akirby said:

What is stupid is one side making unreasonable demands with no recourse.  

In the case of ongoing negotiations between Ford and UAW, Ford's action yesterday of submitting the same offer to UAW as they did 2 weeks prior represents the "one side making unreasonable demands".

STARTING SALARIES INCREASED AT FORD BLUEOVAL EV PLANTS

https://fordauthority.com/2023/10/starting-salaries-increased-at-ford-blueoval-ev-plants/

BlueOval EV Plant_2023-10-12.jpg

After choosing not to take further action against Ford last week during its ongoing strike, the United Auto Workers (UAW) somewhat surprisingly wound up walking out of the Kentucky Truck plant just last night. This move came as Ford and the UAW remain at odds over retirement security and the topic of organizing the automaker’s future BlueOval EV plants, the latter of which General Motors agreed to include in its future contract with the union just last week, but is something that FoMoCo has thus far been hesitant to do. The UAW previously panned a government loan supporting the creation of Ford’s future EV facilities, as well as its decision to pause construction at BlueOval Michigan Battery Park amid these uncertainties, even though construction at BlueOval City in Tennessee and BlueOval SK Battery Park in Kentucky remains on track. Now, Ford has decided to increase its starting salaries at those plants, according to the Detroit Free Press.

As Ford Authority reported in early August, hourly jobs at the Ford BlueOval SK Battery Park were originally slated to start out at anywhere between $21 per hour and $29 per hour, depending on the position. Those workers are also slated to receive two pay raises each year, plus low-cost medical premiums, 401(k) matching, Ford vehicle discount benefits, vision and dental insurance, and potential bonuses up to $2,300 annually, while technicians are eligible to receive performance-based bonuses of up to $2,500 each year.

Now, those wages have increased to a starting rate of $24 up to $37.50 per hour, depending on experience and position. Currently, the top wage offered to Blue Oval factory workers is $32 per hour, which typically takes around eight years to reach – meaning that Ford’s under-construction BlueOval EV plants are offering wages that are higher than current UAW employees can earn, and at quicker rate.

“These new, higher wages are more competitive and in line with the current market,” BlueOval SK Human Resources Director Neva McGruder Burke said in a press release. “Hourly employees will be eligible to receive regular pay increases every six months. Once an employee reaches the top wage range, our human resources team will regularly assess pay increases to maintain competitiveness.”

We’ll have more on Ford’s BlueOval EV plants soon, so be sure and subscribe to Ford Authority for continuous Ford news coverage.

Edited by ice-capades
Additional Content

40 minutes ago, akirby said:

They’ll move the plants to Mexico or Canada or outsource it to their partner or a 3rd party.

Right now in my driveway I have a made in Canada Edge, and a made in Mexico Maverick.  As much as I wanted to order a made in USA '24 Ranger, and waited years for the latest update, the cost was too much to accept.  I can't imagine that USA-made products won't see an additional MSRP increase as a result of whatever the new contract costs.

HRG

12 hours ago, Andrew L said:

I went out for drinks with my neighbors. Me and one of them are big car guys and we started talking about the UAW and what they are demanding and the strikes. One of the neighbors (who is not a car guy really unless it's a Prius) piped up and said it's really simple to fix this by cutting the CEOs pay and using that money to cover the costs that they need to give all the workers their demands. I had to break down to him how that wouldn't work but he refused to listen to me and kept saying the CEO needs to lose their salary to fix this.

You did infer he drives a Prius right?  Case closed..while not all "Prius Owners" think alike, a good clue as to how many of them think?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, akirby said:

It’s not even retaliation.  It’s just the inevitable financial consequences of their demands.  You can’t make money paying workers twice or triple what your competitors are paying when your profit margins are single digits.  They’ll move the plants to Mexico or Canada or outsource it to their partner or a 3rd party.  Either way the end result is a loss of jobs for bothe the UAW and the US.

More likely Mexico than Canada. I can’t see another greenfield car assembly plant ever coming again from ford in this country of Canada. They downsized ford of Canada down to a minimal footprint to their operations. Our contract passed but barely passed. Fein has raised everyone’s expectations it seems. The question is at what cost? 

1 hour ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Right now in my driveway I have a made in Canada Edge, and a made in Mexico Maverick.  As much as I wanted to order a made in USA '24 Ranger, and waited years for the latest update, the cost was too much to accept.  I can't imagine that USA-made products won't see an additional MSRP increase as a result of whatever the new contract costs.

HRG

As prices go up, “Buy American” goes out the window, and the younger generations probably don’t care about buying American anyways. I myself have no problem buying an imported vehicle if the quality is there and the price is right.

Edited by T-dubz

10 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

As prices go up, “Buy American” goes out the window, and the younger generations probably don’t care about buying American anyways. I myself have no problem buying an imported vehicle if the quality is there and the price is right.

Hell, there’s plenty of UAW workers who have no problem buying an import. I see plenty of them scattered through the parking lot. 

5 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

...Also don’t really care what someone with a Prius says it’s not like he supported the UAW with his purchase. Also my friend says they say that to convince themselves they made a good purchase and says that to them. “Sounds like your just trying convince yourself it is because if it was that good sales wouldn’t have fallen as much as they have” Then follows it up with “is it though” when they try and explain and then adds goes how most Prius people have moved on to Teslas and a Prius is the number one vehicle traded in. It’s really funny to watch how angry they get. 

Prius as virtue-signaling has become passe. Tesla is the new "aren't I grand!?" car.

28 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

How true that is. Plus how many of the younger generation grew up in a household that was a "Ford, GM or Mopar" household??? My bet is most of them under 30 did not.  The brand loyalty factor that I grew up with doesn't exist.  It exists with my sons..and daughter in laws in particular- as it is a matter of staying in the will?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gurgeh said:

Tesla is the new "aren't I grand!?" car.

That was the case about a decade ago following the introduction of Model S. But it too has become passe. The "aren't I grand!?" automobile type of choice nowadays is a high-end pickup truck (ICE powered or BEV) from Ford, GM, Stellantis, Toyota, Nissan, or Rivian.

Tesla may have an opportunity to regain that status when Cybertruck deliveries commence en-masse.

4 hours ago, rperez817 said:

In the case of ongoing negotiations between Ford and UAW, Ford's action yesterday of submitting the same offer to UAW as they did 2 weeks prior represents the "one side making unreasonable demands".

You better put your money where your mouth is and start paying the employees of your family business 46% more in compensation because you believe that is reasonable.  

• Haha 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, tbone said:

You better put your money where your mouth is and start paying the employees of your family business 46% more in compensation because you believe that is reasonable.  

And give them a defined benefit pension and guaranteed job security and free health care……..

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, T-dubz said:

This is a great point.  The pro-American sentiment in this country is at an all time low, and as the older generations that still have that sentiment die off, most of those left won’t give two shits where the vehicle is made. But UAW, continue to cut off one’s nose to spite one’s face. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, twintornados said:

Wrong.

The mere fact that they remain employed and have rejected the union says otherwise.  There are no other jobs in those areas that pay that well for unskilled labor.  You act like people have guns to their heads forcing them to work there.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, tbone said:

My family's business doesn't have employees and is completely irrelevant to UAW-automaker negotiations anyway.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

My family's business doesn't have employees and is completely irrelevant to UAW-automaker negotiations anyway.

You routinely have referenced your family’s business, which suggests to me that your collective family has some type of ownership in the business.  If you don’t have employees, that suggest you have family members that are providing the labor, so make sure those individuals get 46% more of the profits than those family members that do not provide the labor.  

Business is business, so it is relevant. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1