November has best ever sales month for Lightning

No one wants Lightning to fail.  However, it would seem profit is more important than volume, given that anything sells if price is low enough.

As reference, Rivian pickup sales also continue to improve, but various reports indicate they are losing over $30k per truck, and have gone through roughly half of their available $18 billion.  If company is in business to make money, not sure volume alone says much in either direction.

https://fox11online.com/news/nation-world/electric-truck-maker-rivian-losing-33k-per-vehicle-sold-report-says-automotive-vehicles-ford-general-motors-tesla

“Other electric truck companies have experienced similar difficulties. Lordstown Motors filed for bankruptcy in June, and Lucid Group is currently dealing with heavy losses and a stock hovering just above $5.”

As far as I know Lucid doesn’t manufacture pickups, but profitability principles apply nonetheless.

2 hours ago, akirby said:

There is much disagreement on the state of BEV sales, customer demand, future outlook, production plans, etc. and media reports are a major factor in influencing public opinion. There may also be confusion on what information is actually factual depending on bias, disclaimers and other factors that allow so-called "facts" to be manipulated in order to better serve the originators' desired objective.

Whether you agree or not, I'll state politely that your post goes overboard and could be considered as a personal attack on Deanh. You could just agree to disagree and leave it at that.  

Edited by akirby
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ice-capades said:

There is much disagreement on the state of BEV sales, customer demand, future outlook, production plans, etc. and media reports are a major factor in influencing public opinion. There may also be confusion on what information is actually factual depending on bias, disclaimers and other factors that allow so-called "facts" to be manipulated in order to better serve the originators' desired objective.

Whether you agree or not, I'll state politely that your post goes overboard and could be considered as a personal attack on Deanh. You could just agree to disagree and leave it at that.  

I deleted my comment so I’ll just ask a question instead.

Hey @Deanh - I though nobody was buying Lightnings?

8 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

https://x.com/jimfarley98/status/1730658472524497352

In October, @Ford had a record month for F-150 Lightning sales. We just broke another record with November being our best-ever sales month for Lightning with nearly 4,400 EV trucks – over 100% increase from last year! More EV sales news on Monday

4,400 sales is great  news for the Lightning, I’m happy that sales continue increasing even if at a slower rate.

Perhaps Ford’s original projections on sales was truly accurate before it was distracted by the 200k reservations…

Maybe by the time BOC opens, sales of BEV F150 will be up to 12,000-15,000/ month….

Currently, there’s just over 6,700 Lightnings available at Ford dealers, so great opportunity for walk in sales..

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

4,400 sales is great  news for the Lightning, I’m happy that sales continue increasing even if at a slower rate.

Perhaps Ford’s original projections on sales was truly accurate before it was distracted by the 200k reservations…

Maybe by the time BOC opens, sales of BEV F150 will be up to 12,000-15,000/ month….

Currently, there’s just over 6,700 Lightnings available at Ford dealers, so great opportunity for walk in sales..

Early projections and reservations were based on a $40k starting price.  Add $20k and you lose a lot of buyers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Early projections and reservations were based on a $40k starting price.  Add $20k and you lose a lot of buyers.

Absolutely agree

Ford was all over the place, increasing the base price by up to 50% and then taking off $10,000 earlier this year

followed by improved tax credits….You're right, anyone new to F Trucks hoping to get a cheap $40k BEV has gone.

Interestingly, Tesla has done similar with its original $39,990 base CT, that’s now a $57k RWD coming in 2025.

While Lightning has lost 200k of reservations, I have a feeling that Cybertruck’s 1.3 million reservations might be

about to evaporate even quicker now that orders are open…It’s put up or shut up time and we’ve seen this all

before with the Tesla 3 launch. Back then,  buyers wanting the bas $36k RWD that Tesla just didn’t want to build

were pushed down the queue until they ordered a higher spec or quit the program.

The golden rule of sales is, don’t disappoint your buyers by misleading them with undeliverable prices.

Edited by jpd80

On 12/2/2023 at 4:17 PM, jpd80 said:

Blue Oval City is expected to open in 2025, and Ford stated that it expects to have 600,000 units/year run rate for BEV sometime in 2024 (previously, they expected to achieve that goal in 2023 but pushed it forward a year or so) and 2,000,000 units/year run rate by 2026. That's for all Ford BEV, not just F-150 Lightning. But it certainly suggests that F-150 Lightning sales alone can and should exceed 12,000-15,000 units/month. Twice or even 3 times that volume by 2025 for F-150 Lightning alone is quite possible.

53 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Blue Oval City is expected to open in 2025, and Ford stated that it expects to have 600,000 units/year run rate for BEV sometime in 2024 (previously, they expected to achieve that goal in 2023 but pushed it forward a year or so) and 2,000,000 units/year run rate by 2026. That's for all Ford BEV, not just F-150 Lightning. But it certainly suggests that F-150 Lightning sales alone can and should exceed 12,000-15,000 units/month. Twice or even 3 times that volume by 2025 for F-150 Lightning alone is quite possible.

Neither of those projections (600k in 2024 or 2M in 2026) are going to happen in the timeframes mentioned. I’m not even sure if 200k in 2024 is possible.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Absolutely not gonna happen. Projections have been lowered. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, T-dubz said:

Neither of those projections (600k in 2024 or 2M in 2026) are going to happen in the timeframes mentioned. I’m not even sure if 200k in 2024 is possible.

OAC will not be online for BEV production til sometime in 2025. Original time frame was December 2024 to start early production. I don’t believe Ford and I believe we won’t start building prototypes til 2025. BOC not online til  2025 so I agree they will not be hitting 600000 of anything in 2024 in terms of EVs!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

Ford Motor Company November 2023 U.S. sales numbers are in the document link. F-150 Lightning sales were up 113% in November, F-Series overall were down about 4%. PowerPoint Presentation (q4cdn.com)

In case the link doesn't work, the PDF is attached to this post as well.

november-2023-us-sales-release.pdf

Good too see Lightning sales increasing. Just a bit of info, Lincoln Nautilus production at OAC ends this week the last units are going through body shop as we speak. They should be done in final assembly by Wednesday or Thursday. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

Ford Motor Company November 2023 U.S. sales numbers are in the document link. F-150 Lightning sales were up 113% in November, F-Series overall were down about 4%. PowerPoint Presentation (q4cdn.com)

In case the link doesn't work, the PDF is attached to this post as well.

november-2023-us-sales-release.pdf

I see Bronco and Explorer sales down due to uaw strike and other factors with Explorer.

3 hours ago, Joe771476 said:

I SAW a Rivian Amazon delivery truck recently. Let me emphasize SAW, I could barely HEAR it! It's huge. On a side note, thieves are robbing these trucks in broad daylight around the country. 

I saw a dozen of them going down I95 in NY heading to CT in October. I see them making deliveries around me these days, but I still see Promasters and larger Transit delivery vehicles with a big box on the back of them too. 

On 12/5/2023 at 8:54 AM, ausrutherford said:

Surprised sales in November were as good as that given the strike. I would have thought a good 10% down. Maybe next month...

The strike at Kentucky Truck Plant meant that F Series sales were down about 13,000 sales which hurts profit 

On 12/2/2023 at 12:18 PM, akirby said:

I deleted my comment so I’ll just ask a question instead.

Hey @Deanh - I though nobody was buying Lightnings?

just saw this so well re-visit...its selling extremely well, but wait...so well in fact they are cutting production 50% next year...sarcasm...yep...100%...I can only attest to what I personally witness...its NOT selling...we sold 7 last month, that said THAT was a 50% increase from the Month before which is statistically outstanding correct? ....and the units that sold were mostly PROs...something we have not had a lot of...now we have a plethora, so supply cannot be blamed for lacklustre sales...we now have more BEV F150s than gas...