Ford May Postpone New EV Launches Amid Strategy Reboot

ice-capades

2 hours ago, Oacjay98 said:

They won’t do that, I’m not advocating for another ford plant to close to benefit us. The UAW would go ballistic. I just can’t see that happening although I’ve heard a lot of  bad things  about CAP.

Excellent reply....however, OAC needs more than a boutique car to build...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twintornados said:

I waited until Oacjay98 responded because the answer was better coming from him.

The last thing Ford would want to do is go to war with the UAW, crippling annual profit.

I can see why Ford steered away from hurting CD6  sales but to me this is Ford continuing 

hedging on BEVs being range topping premium products vs replacements for existing ICE vehicles.

The original three row BEVs to be built at Cuautitlan were a lot more conventional SUV shape.

So I wonder if the two year delay actually gave Ford too much time to rethink the vehicles and

copy Tesla X.

I’m trying to keep an open mind on this, if Ford is planning to sell what is basically a “three row Tesla X”,

Ford needs to get this right, if it looks shit to our eyes then maybe it’s appealing to a different buyer group.

So let’s hope that Ford has picked right…..

Random thought, had the Mach E been sold as sedan/hatchback/coupe combo, it would have capture more

of the Mustang’s spirit and really given Tesla a run for its money. Better aero and battery efficiency.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

Random thought, had the Mach E been sold as sedan/hatchback/coupe combo, it would have capture more

of the Mustang’s spirit and really given Tesla a run for its money. Better aero and battery efficiency.

Ford hit a gold mine with this idea of a mustang sub-brand, and then they just let it die. I remembered when the mach-e was revealed, a high ranking Ford employee, I think his name is Dave Pericak or something, he was the head engineer on s550. He got really giddy about future product plans pertaining to the expansion of the mustang sub-brand.

I remember being like, I can't wait to see whatever he's talking about, and then it never came. Just like I recall being excited to see what the Shelby version of the mach-e was gonna be like, and it never happened. There was apparently a mach-e dark horse planned at one point, but I don't see that happening now. 

• Like 5

20 hours ago, akirby said:

Sounded like everything except trucks and vans.

20 hours ago, twintornados said:

Thanks I agree and that’s why I believe that Ford has to rectify this situation somehow 

• 3 weeks later...

According to Borg, Ford has delayed the launch of the 3-Row EV by another 2 years, pushing it out until Late 2027..

He says that Ford is going back to the drawing board on the battery pack with a complete redesign that brings it inline with the CE1 platform.
Also, the vehicles may see major redesigns.
This may also explain why Lincoln abandoned electrification plans at the dealerships and removed the Lincoln Star.

59 minutes ago, joseodiaga4 said:

According to Borg, Ford has delayed the launch of the 3-Row EV by another 2 years, pushing it out until Late 2027..

He says that Ford is going back to the drawing board on the battery pack with a complete redesign that brings it inline with the CE1 platform.
This may also explain why Lincoln abandoned electrification plans at the dealerships and removed the Lincoln Star.

Interesting. I'm surprised they're making major platform changes this late in the game. It'll be fascinating to see just how extensive those redesigns are, will they be doing an all new body, or just tweaking the front and rear a tad? Time will tell. 

1 hour ago, joseodiaga4 said:

I find that really hard to believe that OAC will be down for almost 36 months. Borg has been completely wrong more often than not also. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

I find that really hard to believe that OAC will be down for almost 36 months. Borg has been completely wrong more often than not also. 

I don’t find it hard to believe given how strongly Ford has been signaling that it is pulling back in its BEV programs and how much the increase in the BEV selling pace has slowed the past year or so as the availability of ICE-vehicles has nearly returned to pre COVID levels. BTW - Borg is also saying that Ford will finally have a hybrid AWD Maverick for the 2025 model year. That’s good news. 

Edited by Trader 10

14 minutes ago, Trader 10 said:

I don’t find it hard to believe given how strongly Ford has been signaling that it is pulling back in its BEV programs and how much the increase in the BEV selling pace has slowed the past year or so as the availability of ICE-vehicles has nearly returned to pre COVID levels.

Come on think about this objectively-OAC is going down for retooling in the next 60 days...and they are going to keep the plant down for almost 36 months?! NO FUCKING WAY! That will cost Ford Billions not to build it-keep in mind suppliers need build parts for it and they need to keep their workforces employed too.

Borg is most likely got information screwed up once again. He got chased off here for being wrong so many times before. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Come on think about this objectively-OAC is going down for retooling in the next 60 days...and they are going to keep the plant down for almost 36 months?! NO FUCKING WAY! That will cost Ford Billions not to build it-keep in mind suppliers need build parts for it and they need to keep their workforces employed too.

Borg is most likely got information screwed up once again. He got chased off here for being wrong so many times before. 

Remember that Ford in October announced it was postponing $12 billion in BEV investment. We have no idea what it would cost to postpone production another 24 months, but I don’t think it would be billions. It will cost billions to retool the plant and get the new models out. If the currently planned models aren’t competitive Ford will never make a profit building them. 

42 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Is it possible the truth lays somewhere in-between? Maybe the Ford version is still scheduled to come out in 2025, but the Lincoln version may have been delayed for whatever reason by a few years. Perhaps he heard electric three row, and delayed, and wrongly assumed it was the Ford version. 

• Like 1

Has Borg mixed up which 3-Rows are delayed, could that be the T3 SUVs delayed until 2027?

There’s a lot of misinformation out there, maybe Ford is trying to find leaks?

If Borg is correct, this will be the second time the Oakville 3-Rows have been delayed.

Originally, these supposed to arrive in 2023, right when buyers walked away from BEVs.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

Borg also mentioned how there was going to be a BS ev, now that's been axed, and how there are no other compact EV crossovers in development. This contradicts what other people on this site are saying about there being CE1 crossovers in development that aren't BS's. 

33 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

Borg also mentioned how there was going to be a BS ev, now that's been axed, and how there are no other compact EV crossovers in development. This contradicts what other people on this site are saying about there being CE1 crossovers in development that aren't BS's. 

A certain poster here has stated a compact EV is coming and their record has been much better then Borg's..plus other info put out by them have been correct. It is not hard to find :) 

24 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

A certain poster here has stated a compact EV is coming and their record has been much better then Borg's..plus other info put out by them have been correct. It is not hard to find :)

Why are we treated this poster as he who shall not be named? ? It was ExplorerDude for anyone wondering. But I agree, ExplorerDude and Jmd80 generally have much better track records than BORG does. Basically every insider on this sight is a more reliable source than BORG from what I've seen. 

20 hours ago, joseodiaga4 said:

This would be an absurd decision, IF true (given the source and above commentary, it's a good if).

I'm a proponent of making sure a product is right, but when you talk continual shifts in timelines, at a certain point, you'd have to have something out, even if it's not perfect.

2 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

Ford in its own statement about the skunkworks platform said that it is developing multiple vehicles. If the release date is 2027 then it no wonder why For would be unwilling to discuss which vehicles are in development apart from vague descriptions. Cannot signal too much to competitors.

• Like 1