Ford Q1/March 2024 Sales Results

Here are March figures:

image.thumb.png.badd7426de88cf027712d8eabf1ca797.png

image.png.98dec1960a71fd49a3387c5952297802.png.5cebb7d67b6028b5ff826d8aa3e9f0c0.png

image.png.2f2cb689262b8511b2f0e4a302aa8199.png.a09c174073db9fcd564d1b32f1734c60.png

*NOTE - I had to throw the Brightdrop numbers in the 400 category - they split them into 400/600 on the Q4 2023 results, and reverted to just "Brightdrop" for Q1, not sure why they changed it back.

• Like 1

Mach E had a huge month at 5,364 sales.  Lightning and E-Transit also had healthy jumps.  Edge, Corsair, and Nautilus had big months too.

Bronco sales down again.  I wonder if pricing is still an issue....

Also, looks like new Rangers are finally trickling into dealerships.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

It has to be a contributing factor.  They are nice vehicles, but the cost goes way up when you start adding options, which is why I would consider a used model over new now.  

25 minutes ago, tbone said:

It has to be a contributing factor.  They are nice vehicles, but the cost goes way up when you start adding options, which is why I would consider a used model over new now.  

Not even so much the options, but the extreme increases vs. debut pricing just a couple of years ago, as I've mentioned before.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Not even so much the options, but the extreme increases vs. debut pricing just a couple of years ago, as I've mentioned before.

Money is almost always the answer.

Edge sales are crazy. It’s selling almost as much as the escape and it’s a 100 year old design. Rebates are surprisingly low at only $1500 too. Wonder what sales would be like if ford refreshed the sheet metal? Interior just needs an update to ford’s current switchgear and steering wheel along with a new seat and dash design. 

I was wondering where all of the sales were happening at because I haven’t seen any edges on dealer lots around me and haven’t noticed any new ones on the road, but I’d guess it’s a big seller up north where awd is more important.

standard awd, huge touchscreen, good amount of tech, and a moderately low price make it a pretty compelling option.

32 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

Edge sales are crazy. It’s selling almost as much as the escape and it’s a 100 year old design. Rebates are surprisingly low at only $1500 too. Wonder what sales would be like if ford refreshed the sheet metal? Interior just needs an update to ford’s current switchgear and steering wheel along with a new seat and dash design. 

I was wondering where all of the sales were happening at because I haven’t seen any edges on dealer lots around me and haven’t noticed any new ones on the road, but I’d guess it’s a big seller up north where awd is more important.

standard awd, huge touchscreen, good amount of tech, and a moderately low price make it a pretty compelling option.

The reason it is selling so well is that its getting subvented interest rates....even at 84 months, its 1/2 of a "good" rate from a Credit union. 

3 hours ago, joseodiaga4 said:

Ford should keep the Edge and Escape.

On the other side, the new Navi can’t come soon enough, it is the only Lincoln that is not selling right now.

The commodity Edge Is dead. Were just building a lot because it’s the end of the road.

7 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Mach E had a huge month at 5,364 sales.

I live in the Phoenix area and I see a lot of Mach E's, and you cant turn around without seeing another Bronco, but suddenly there are a lot of Broncos on the lot by my house. When I recently purchased a newer Edge, I asked why so many Broncos and he said at the beginning they never reached the lot because of pre orders and now they sit. Maybe the light-off-road-desert market has been fulfilled for now.

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

The reason it is selling so well is that its getting subvented interest rates....even at 84 months, its 1/2 of a "good" rate from a Credit union. 

Heck, I bought one last month, just because my wife has so enjoyed her '19.  0% for 66 months.

HRG

Mary 2024 at Mendota Ford 03092024.jpg

Edited by HotRunrGuy
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, joseodiaga4 said:

Ford should keep the Edge and Escape.

On the other side, the new Navi can’t come soon enough, it is the only Lincoln that is not selling right now.

It sounds like they are keeping the escape, that's almost certainly what this new affordable EV utility is now that we know it's not a BS. As for the edge, there are a lot of ways they could keep that going as well. 

2 hours ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Heck, I bought one last month, just because my wife has so enjoyed her '19.  0% for 66 months.

HRG

Mary 2024 at Mendota Ford 03092024.jpg

Very nice, may I ask what this color is called? Everytime I see it, I always think it's classy, but eye catching at the same time. I've thought about getting our explorer wrapped in a similar color. 

10 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

The main reason is folks are buying them before they’re gone.  This is the last month unless something changes.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, akirby said:

The main reason is folks are buying them before they’re gone.  This is the last month unless something changes.

I remember when MKT sales suddenly surged in their final months of production for the same reason. Can't remember if the Flex did likewise.

21 minutes ago, Flying68 said:

Amazing that so many people want 2 row mid-size SUVs/cross-overs, almost like there are some people that don't need an unusable 3rd row and prefer a more spacious 2nd row instead.  Go figure.

Demand was never a question.

1 hour ago, Gurgeh said:

I remember when MKT sales suddenly surged in their final months of production for the same reason. Can't remember if the Flex did likewise.

Without going back and looking it up, I don’t know but it was the reason I got mine when I did. 

12 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

Very nice, may I ask what this color is called? Everytime I see it, I always think it's classy, but eye catching at the same time. I've thought about getting our explorer wrapped in a similar color. 

That is Burgundy Velvet.

HRG

17 hours ago, transitman said:

I live in the Phoenix area and I see a lot of Mach E's, and you cant turn around without seeing another Bronco, but suddenly there are a lot of Broncos on the lot by my house. When I recently purchased a newer Edge, I asked why so many Broncos and he said at the beginning they never reached the lot because of pre orders and now they sit. Maybe the light-off-road-desert market has been fulfilled for now.

My G/Fs father got one last year he was waiting forever for it was on preorder for a long time.  He paid I want to say close to 72k for it, it's loaded to the gills.  Bright blue, blue leather, 4 door, removable top, big chunky tires.  He's trying to sell it now.  He's a Ford guy through and through but he said he misses having a sporty sedan or coupe, he also said he really didn't think it through since they have an Explorer already they have no need for 2 SUVs.  He has had multiple offers from dealers but all low balling him pretty hard.  He has it listed I think on Autotrader now for about 52k and no bites only low balls.  He said if he doesn't sell it soon he will just keep it.  He doesn't hate it at all he just misses having something sporty. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, akirby said:

Demand was never a question.

Maybe I am bit stubborn but I don’t understand why Ford plans to exist those to segments. It is weird that everybody else can make their products work but Ford can’t.

The plan is to loose 200k sales annually? 
that alone in the US because if there is no Escape, what is the future for the Kuga? 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, joseodiaga4 said:

Maybe I am bit stubborn but I don’t understand why Ford plans to exist those to segments. It is weird that everybody else can make their products work but Ford can’t.

The plan is to loose 200k sales annually? 
that alone in the US because if there is no Escape, what is the future for the Kuga? 

They may have good volume but profit margins are probably lower than they want.  Some of that is due to the competition, some due to higher costs.  But they’re not just killing vehicles - they’re diverting those resources to new vehicles that either promise higher margins or are strategically more important to the company.

E.g. if they had kept Focus they would have had to build a new factory and hire dozens if not hundreds more people and there is no way Focus would generate enough profit to cover that added cost.  So they replaced it with Bronco and Ranger. 

7 minutes ago, akirby said:

They may have good volume but profit margins are probably lower than they want.  Some of that is due to the competition, some due to higher costs.  But they’re not just killing vehicles - they’re diverting those resources to new vehicles that either promise higher margins or are strategically more important to the company.

E.g. if they had kept Focus they would have had to build a new factory and hire dozens if not hundreds more people and there is no way Focus would generate enough profit to cover that added cost.  So they replaced it with Bronco and Ranger. 

agree on the Focus subject because staying in that segment makes no sense, everything is about SUV/CUV right now, but to exist the compact and medium size SUV/CUV segment seems a bit weird.

I understand that the volume is not the problem, but they can't find a way to reduce cost and improve profits? And so far it seems they are just killing, there won't be any new real vehicle (not redesign, refresh) until 2026 with the new compact EV and I don't think this project is the result of the death of the Edge 

What do these results tell me? People want affordable vehicles that are filled with value for the price. That doesn't mean cheap, but it means something other than $85k+ F-Series or Broncos that have become overpriced in the last couple years. Look at the Maverick, Bronco Sport and Escape? Build more. The Edge? WTF are they canceling that model? I promise it makes good money and it's in demand.