California Highway Patrol picks Ford Explorer

How many high speed chases do they do everyday?

In Southern California it seems almost everyday. I think they probably have enough on tape to start their own cable channel. I can see it now-"The Pursuit Channel!" All pursuits all the time. Great stuff if you can't sleep! :)

Edited by CKNSLS
  • Like 1

You know the answer to that?, i imagine im a lone CHiP in a desert and my buddy is 10 mis down the road i want the fastest car avaliable. CHiPs were always known to have the fastest interceptors but again im not exactly crying if the cops have a less powerful car then i do.

No department in the country is going to recommend an officer drive 140 mph under any circumstance. You can't help if you don't make it there alive. And high speed chases are pretty much prohibited except in rare circumstances. What good will it do to catch up to someone driving 100+ in another vehicle? You can't PIT them or make them stop. And a helicopter can follow them much more safely than a vehicle.

• Like 1

CHP is not just highway patrol. It is also our State Police. They have other law enforcement functions besides speed trap on our interstate. The PIU is going to replace both Crown Vic and the current mix fleet of Tahoe and F-150 used in rural and mountain area.

As to PIU being slower than Charger... I'm not sure why anyone would argue that as a "problem". The Crown Vic is slower than the Charger... in fact, the Crown Vic is slower than the Explorer PIU.

Ford probobly still has the most aggresive regional sales team in CA of the big three. No dobut they cut them a good deal, on an overall efficient package (purchase price/packaging/fuel econ equation). FWIW, my wife loves her Limited, and I think its fun to drive with nice sterring and a sweet revving regular fuel 3.5L.

It's the crotch rocket bikers that really try to run from the police. Could be a rumor as I don't know for sure, but I keep hearing local police cruisers around here won't bother chasing them as they are either too fast and/or they sometimes kill themselves in doing so if chased. As for the EB Taurus P.I., that should make for a very good interceptor in all weather conditions. Power and traction.

Its easier to scrape them off the road...hopefully they don't take along anyone else with them

Ford probobly still has the most aggresive regional sales team in CA of the big three. No dobut they cut them a good deal, on an overall efficient package (purchase price/packaging/fuel econ equation). FWIW, my wife loves her Limited, and I think its fun to drive with nice sterring and a sweet revving regular fuel 3.5L.

Ford uses the 3.7 in the PI Ute.....but we know what you mean.:)

No department in the country is going to recommend an officer drive 140 mph under any circumstance. You can't help if you don't make it there alive. And high speed chases are pretty much prohibited except in rare circumstances. What good will it do to catch up to someone driving 100+ in another vehicle? You can't PIT them or make them stop. And a helicopter can follow them much more safely than a vehicle.

You may be able to outrun a Hemi Charger, or a EcoBoost Taurus or even a 6.0L Caprice....but you will never outrun the Motorola in the dashboard.

You may be able to outrun a Hemi Charger, or a EcoBoost Taurus or even a 6.0L Caprice....but you will never outrun the Motorola in the dashboard.

Yes, as was already pointed out. I was talking about the need to get to your buddy who's in trouble 10 miles down the road.

Y'know. I wonder if Jerry Reed's estate gets any royalties from the TV show "Eastbound and Down"

Also, that movie has *not* aged well. I mean, shoot. Thunder and Lightning has held up better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL0ZBr_lOE4 (warning: this is the whole movie. Sit down and getcher popcorn)

Edited by RichardJensen

Well said. The danger of injuring innocent motorists and/or pedestrians is too great a risk these days. Many departments have modified their pursuit rules to discourage high speed chases. The litigation costs alone can run into the millions when it all goes bad and someone gets killed.

Well said. The danger of injuring innocent motorists and/or pedestrians is too great a risk these days. Many departments have modified their pursuit rules to discourage high speed chases. The litigation costs alone can run into the millions when it all goes bad and someone gets killed.

Exactly what my department has done. Several troops that I work with have new Chargers, they have had them up above 140, and they have all said that was too fast! They quickly brought them back down below the 140 mark. I surely hope that I get to keep my 2008 PI until we wise up and get Fords again. (I really like the Explorer PI)

Edited by danglin

Exactly what my department has done. Several troops that I work with have new Chargers, they have had them up above 140, and they have all said that was too fast! They quickly brought them back down below the 140 mark. I surely hope that I get to keep my 2008 PI until we wise up and get Fords again. (I really like the Explorer PI)

My town and next town over are DONE with the Chargers. and according to a MA trooper friend, MASS. is probably going to expand on their 140+ unit order as the visibility factor in the UPI is apparently a key factor.

My town and next town over are DONE with the Chargers. and according to a MA trooper friend, MASS. is probably going to expand on their 140+ unit order as the visibility factor in the UPI is apparently a key factor.

Yeah, I seen a post a month ago or so which Mass. State Police was dropping chargers due to reliability problems. Our new chargers have already had several issues, and they have been nicknamed "Dodge in the garage"!!

We have several 2008 Mustangs used for Special Patrol, and they all have High Mileage. I have talked to several of the troops driving them, and they all have said the only real trouble with them has been alternators, and seats wearing out. Not surprising since Mustangs are not Police Package. I was at the GHQ Garage earlier in the week, and they are outfitting some 2013's to replace the 2008's. They are sharp!!

• 1 month later...
No department in the country is going to recommend an officer drive 140 mph under any circumstance.

I don't know the Oklahoma Highway Patrol's official policy, but a friend who is an OHP Trooper was filmed driving in excess of 120mph on Oklahoma back roads. They were shooting an episode of the TV show "Real Stories of the Highway Patrol," and one of the crews was riding along with him when he received a call of shots fired, officer down (IIRC, it turned out to be an erroneous call, so it didn't make the show). This would have been around 15 years ago, when he was still driving a Chebbie Shamu, so I don't know if he got up to 140, but he was definitely giving her the spurs, and he certainly wasn't disciplined for it.

The town i moved to last year has begun to replace their Crown Vics... With a couple of caprices due to the "training they already have using rwd" & "having the drive wheels and steering seperate is more reliable" lines... oy!

Oddly enough they have purchased a set of 4 new BMW bikes for road patrol.

This was in the local newspapers... They had ONE charger and according to the dept. spokesman, have sworn them off.