'15 Transit Review

I can't wait to see the cutaway in a motorhome. I've owned a Sprinter based RV for 5 years, and the Sprinter hasn't been upgraded much in 10 years. The brakes, seats, and basic ergonomics of a Sprinter are terrible.

I'm hoping that design wins with Winnebago, Jayco, Thor, and several other motorhome builders are announced really soon.

• Like 2

Good reviews. Back when the original Econoline came out the reaction was "this is good". Then when the current layout arrived in 75 the reaction was "this is even better". Well, from what I hear the Transit is better yet. Well done Ford.

The only sales lost to GM will be those who want to hang on to the old form factor. And I see at least as many current GM van customers moving over to the Transit due to the advantages of its new form factor.

Most commercial fleets are not married to a particular manufacturer - there may be a relationship, but relationships can easily be changed when there is a compelling reason to.

Well. There will be some initial resistance to the Transit. My brother has used E-150's and Rangers for his company for over 25 years. He will replace the Rangers with the Transit Connect (long wheel base). He's not sure about the reliability of the Transit compared to the E-150. The E-150's have been very reliable. He's not ready to replace any of his vans yet, but might buy another E-150 while he can still get one.

That said, I think the Transit will be a success.

Well. There will be some initial resistance to the Transit. My brother has used E-150's and Rangers for his company for over 25 years. He will replace the Rangers with the Transit Connect (long wheel base). He's not sure about the reliability of the Transit compared to the E-150. The E-150's have been very reliable. He's not ready to replace any of his vans yet, but might buy another E-150 while he can still get one.

Interesting how he trusts the TC but not the Transit. I bet when he gets ready to make the move, he'll have more data available to him.

Interesting how he trusts the TC but not the Transit. I bet when he gets ready to make the move, he'll have more data available to him.

He has no real option other than the TC to replace the Ranger. He will not look at anything but Ford. To be honest, I don't think he'll actually buy another E-150. He'll wait until he needs a new van and the Transit will be the only choice. The issue for him is that he usually puts aver 250,000 miles on the vans and has spent very little money on them outside of regular maintenance. Hopefully, he'll be that happy with the new Transit.

I don't get why people have this fear of the Transit not being reliable.

But don't you know Ford doesn't test their vehicles for long-term reliability/durability? I mean with the F-150 they only took it around the block to test it, right?

I completely agree. They'll test it just as much as the F-series trucks....

...its a pretty common condition, referred to as fear of change....exhibit A) people that continue buying Camry's when theres better alternatives out there.......

...its a pretty common condition, referred to as fear of change....exhibit A) people that continue buying Camry's when theres better alternatives out there.......

That's a slightly different condition. For my brother, putting a van in the shop for unscheduled maintenance cost much more than the repair bill. It means one of his service technicians is unavailable. That is also costing him money. Tell any business man (especially a small business owner) to switch vehicles and he is right to be cautious.

Again, I am not saying the Transit is unreliable. Neither is my brother. He is just considering it from a business standpoint. The E-150's have been extremely reliable. Hopefully, the Transit can match them.