2017 Escape Spied w/ Rear Completely Uncovered

I swear you must have blue glasses.

It comes on at random times when not needed, including when other drivers are approaching.

Then yours must be defective. Mine never come on or stay on with other vehicles approaching or if there is a car up ahead. They do always come on above 20 mph if the road is clear, but that's what they're supposed to do if they're set to automatic. How is the system supposed to know that you want them on this time but not that time?

I mean, i've had them come on as cars are approaching, but that is because they road was curving so my car couldn't see the other headlights. So there are times were for a split second it turns on but goes right off again. I'd say it works flawlessly 95% of the time. The best is when they shut off because they reflect off of road signage causing too much ambient light.

The only other time I had a problem was after getting my windshield replaced, and the camera was not calibrated. I was driving through a construction area down to one lan with jersey barriers on either side, no street lights on the stretch of highway. Driving behind the car and must have gotten too close where being out of calibration caused the tail lights to disappear to the camera.

Edited by jinx8402

Wouldn't surprise me, as my 2015 Edge is starting to seem like a big old pile. The side sensors go off at random times when there is nothing around too.

On my dad's 2014 Explorer, the Cross Traffic Alert sensors go off when there's nothing there all the time.

You can't see cross traffic if you're parked between 2 vehicles, especially large trucks or SUVs. Without it you have to just back out slowly and hope either nobody's coming or they stop for you. I do get an occasional false alarm but it works great most of the time.

• Like 1

Most conveniences you can easily do yourself like blind spot detection or park assist.

But please tell me how you're going to see a car approaching when you're backing out from between 2 trucks. It can't be done without cross traffic alert.

I tell you what, it IS handy. Backing our minivan out of a spot (like you said, between two trucks where this no way to see into the lane behind you) that thing has saved our butts more than once from someone not paying attention and driving too quick.

Edited by Intrepidatious

I am going to back out just like always. Slowly and checking my mirrors. Seriously, stop trying to pretend like this procedure of backing out of a parking spot is something new. It's not and you know it. These types of "sensors" only add unnecessary weight to vehicles. Again, I understand it, but it's unnecessary.

Well, what *is* necessary? Power windows? Nope. Air conditioning? Nope. Radio? Nope. Fuel gauge? Nope (just have an idiot light). For that matter, how much power do you need to move your vehicle? Way less than what you have, I can guarantee that.

I mean, if you're going to start playing the 'necessary' card, you have to either accept that *your* definition of 'necessary' is just as arbitrary as the next guy's, or you have to back yourself up to some really spartan vehicle with minimal power, minimal comfort/entertainment items, and minimal instrumentation.

And even in terms of *safety*, what's necessary is basically an arbitrary choice regarding the number of deaths that we, collectively, are willing to put up with.

In fact, when you get right down to it. cars themselves aren't necessary. Cripes. The human race existed for millennia before cars were invented, so how could they possibly be *necessary* for the continuation of the species?

• Like 1

Oh come on RJ. We are discussing a single option called "cross traffic alert". This is an option that is unnecessary. Get over it. Most of us can back out of a parking spot or make a left turn in traffic without being "warned". I am so glad you decided to turn this discussion into something more. As usual....

Oh come on RJ. We are discussing a single option called "cross traffic alert". This is an option that is unnecessary. Get over it. Most of us can back out of a parking spot or make a left turn in traffic without being "warned". I am so glad you decided to turn this discussion into something more. As usual....

If you don't like the feature, don't buy it. its there for those that do want it. I don't think anyone goes to the dealership and says I'll buy that car because it specifically has cross traffic alert, it's just an added/additional feature that's available for those that want it.

• Like 1

Cross traffic alert came in handy when I was backing up between 2 vans, and I couldn't turn my neck because I slept in a weird position. I can just imagine how it helps those who are elderly and just can't. Dont think so much of it as helping YOU directly, think of it how it can help the person in the next car your trying to navigate around.

• Like 1

Wouldn't surprise me, as my 2015 Edge is starting to seem like a big old pile. The side sensors go off at random times when there is nothing around too.

my 2013 SHO does the same thing, but its mostly when I'm driving and its single lane in each direction...so I know I'm not going to hit anyone.

The point of if you need it or not is moot. If you paid for it... It should work!!! And if it doesn't, then Ford should be taken to task for it.

I trust they will have the wrinkles fixed by the time I buy my new Edge next year. This is a good option which I can use.

Edited by T-bird

What we have seen is an increase in is D**head drivers that race up and down parking lots

without a care for people trying to edge out from between two tall vehicles, the sensible thing

is to have another person be a spotter and guide you out. I see this tech as good in so far

it's more protection from other low performance drivers...

But agree, technology must never replace vigilance and good driving decisions.

Edited by jpd80