2019 Ford Edge Discussion (merged posts)

Yeah, let's just hope they have a lot to reveal at the show.

Because they can charge more for this than the Sport, and the Sport remains an upgrade over Titanium, etc.

Just allows them to add more at the top of the lineup.

The Sport will no longer exist. At least that is how I read it in the various sources I read.

The Sport will no longer exist. At least that is how I read it in the various sources I read.

Ah, you're right. Didn't realize that. Well that's interesting. So it's an improvement over and outright replacement for the Sport model.

Makes you wonder if an Explorer ST will come to replace the Sport model there?

heres some irony, and I wonder how Ford will react...a LOT of the comments are along the same lines..."WHAT?....you take away the fiesta ST and give us this? " I take that as a signal people think Ford is ignoring the enthusiast on a budget....

Ah, you're right. Didn't realize that. Well that's interesting. So it's an improvement over and outright replacement for the Sport model.

Makes you wonder if an Explorer ST will come to replace the Sport model there?

I was thinking the same thing. The new Edge looks nice to me and glad to see the rotary shift knob. However, the Edge is a bit small for me. Would love to see this treatment on the Explorer with the 3.5 used in the new Expedition.

heres some irony, and I wonder how Ford will react...a LOT of the comments are along the same lines..."WHAT?....you take away the fiesta ST and give us this? " I take that as a signal people think Ford is ignoring the enthusiast on a budget....

theyre not? Edited by fuzzymoomoo

Heres the problem with the 3 pedal, no one will actually buy them. Everyone says they want them on the internet but they wont actually go into the showroom and plunk down the 45k on it. If youd have read the internet youd have thought the Chevrolet SS with stick shift would have been the best selling car ever, topping even the F-150.

Remember this is only going to be around for 30/36months. At least it looks different enough than the current Edge that people will know the difference in models. Looks like they are making A lot of equipment standard, should help clean up the order guide and ordering complexity.

• Like 1

actually I dont agree, I think we sell more ST Fiestas than the rest of the lineup combined.....its relatively cheap for what it is, a an absolute blast to drive...theres pretty much nothing like it in Fords line-up....it WILL be missed.....sales were strong after any review or publicity. And PS maybe Ive mis-read your comment, you mention 3 pedal ( pertains to stick shift ) then mention 45k....?....that's an RS, not a Fiesta St, please enlighten... ( Heck I may even buy a second one if it is being nixed )

Edited by Deanh

actually I dont agree, I think we sell more ST Fiestas than the rest of the lineup combined.....its relatively cheap for what it is, a an absolute blast to drive...theres pretty much nothing like it in Fords line-up....it WILL be missed.....sales were strong after any review or publicity. And PS maybe Ive mis-read your comment, you mention 3 pedal ( pertains to stick shift ) then mention 45k....?....that's an RS, not a Fiesta St, please enlighten... ( Heck I may even buy a second one if it is being nixed )

I agreed with sevensecondsuv that if its an ST varient there should be at least the option for a 3 pedal manual. Just like a Shelby Mustang.

The problem as I see it is they're not using the same formula that made the Focus ST and Fiesta ST so successful. Those two gave you the next larger ecoboost than what is available on the lower trims and combined it with a manual transmission that's not available in the standard trims (other than the bargain basement stuff, and even then it's a different transmission). All at a price that is comparable to a nicely appointed non-ST trim of the same model and easily attainable for the average new car buyer. This new Edge is nothing like that. All they did was a 25hp tune and body kit and made it the highest priced trim for the model, topping $50k. They'll sell a few, but it's not going to be the resounding success that the focus and fiesta versions were/are.

The problem as I see it is they're not using the same formula that made the Focus ST and Fiesta ST so successful. Those two gave you the next larger ecoboost than what is available on the lower trims and combined it with a manual transmission that's not available in the standard trims (other than the bargain basement stuff, and even then it's a different transmission). All at a price that is comparable to a nicely appointed non-ST trim of the same model and easily attainable for the average new car buyer. This new Edge is nothing like that. All they did was a 25hp tune and body kit and made it the highest priced trim for the model, topping $50k. They'll sell a few, but it's not going to be the resounding success that the focus and fiesta versions were/are.

If you pretend they never offered an Edge Sport in the first place and all you had was the 2.0LEB and the 3.5L NA engines, then this ST model would seem like a great deal. You're just not going to sell a manual transmission midsized utility in the states regardless of badging or performance level. BMW doesn't offer one either.

You're penalizing Ford because they offered both a Fusion Sport and Edge Sport in the past, but those were not tuned by Ford Performance and it's more than just a simple tune and a body kit.

• Like 1

This new Edge is nothing like that. All they did was a 25hp tune and body kit and made it the highest priced trim for the model, topping $50k. They'll sell a few, but it's not going to be the resounding success that the focus and fiesta versions were/are.

Citation please?

Not to mention that its not like the Focus ST isn't exactly cheap..it butts up against 30K well loaded. The Fiesta the same deal

ST is a much more compelling package than Sport. People who were willing to pay for the Sport before should have no problem with ST. And sounds like there will be some sort of optional performance package with brake and suspension upgrades that will make it even better.

Think of it as a budget SQ5 or X3 40M or GLC43... Ford is going to sell tons of these at fat profit margins.

Also another possible reason for the ST badge instead of just Sport - It aligns it with Ford's global portfolio... maybe Ford will try to sell this in markets outside North America.

• Like 3

In regards to manual trans, virtually nobody buys them anymore. Add to the fact that you generally take a performance hit now days as far as acceleration goes and the economy advantage isn't there anymore. Now with driving experience and control, nothing beats a stick. The problem is, the people that care about that is shrinking. Auto enthusiasts, which if you are on here you probably are, make only a terribly small amount of consumers. However, they are probably the most vocal about what they deem important speed, power, handling and driving experience.

I am just guessing but I would say that there are probably 50% of people out there (probably more) who view cars as merely appliances. That's why Toyota's sell in boat loads. I consider 97% of Toyota's soulless vehicles. Enthusiasts are definitely a minority. The performance cars (Halo) cars help the brands perception but the SUV/Trucks/Cuvs unfortunately pay the bills. That's why I am glad Ford Performance exists and will be extremely pissed if they water down the performance side.