Mach 1 - High Performance BEV SUV - NAIAS 2018

Anyone else feel like they butchered this whole thing. I watched the release video a couple times and had no clear idea what Ford was trying to say. Then mike Levine tweets about the vehicle and its not clear. Then Mike Levine tweets again to clarify his original tweet. He also tweets that the Mach 1 name is just being tested. Tested? Test it with a small group not the whole world.

Who is running the show? This was poorly executed in my opinion.

• Like 1

Anyone else feel like they butchered this whole thing. I watched the release video a couple times and had no clear idea what Ford was trying to say. Then mike Levine tweets about the vehicle and its not clear. Then Mike Levine tweets again to clarify his original tweet. He also tweets that the Mach 1 name is just being tested. Tested? Test it with a small group not the whole world.

Who is running the show? This was poorly executed in my opinion.

I agree. It wasnt entirely clear what Mach 1 is.

The presentation before the video hinted at combining a ICE (mustang sound) with electric, which is why I thought it was the electrified/hybridized Mustang they were talking about. Only for Mike Levine to later tweet about it being a performance BEV.

And now theres info saying the Mach 1 name is only being explored? Whats the point of sharing it with the world if theyre only testing it?

• Like 1

Levine clarified the Mach 1 name to Jalopnik. Look at their article and it listed as update at 6PM. Its a damn shame that in the article Levine has to update them twice after the release. #butchered

Butchered, or brilliant? Ford had to know they're playing with fire. Let's say it is just a study - would they have as many people talking about this BEV if they had a safer name? Especially since they didn't really show anything?

Are there legacy names that aren't sacred? Could a BEV SUV be a Falcon? Maverick? Thunderbird?

• Like 1

Butchered, or brilliant? Ford had to know they're playing with fire. Let's say it is just a study - would they have as many people talking about this BEV if they had a safer name? Especially since they didn't really show anything?

Are there legacy names that aren't sacred? Could a BEV SUV be a Falcon? Maverick? Thunderbird?

Bronco? Dont shoot me for saying it. Lol

Had a couple thoughts about this...

Ford calling it the Mach 1:

Could be this ;)

speed-racer_car_1.jpg

The other thought I had was maybe this is an intentional faux pas to make the Mustang Faithful go nuts and draw even more attention to this product? Then Ford can go, oh we are going to actually call it this instead.

I see this being either something based on the Bronco or Explorer-if/when the Explorer goes RWD, it means it can share alot more parts with the Mustang (thus making the Mustang cheaper) and share powertrains with the F-150 also.

I think Ford is being coy about this.

Had a couple thoughts about this...

The other thought I had was maybe this is an intentional faux pas to make the Mustang Faithful go nuts and draw even more attention to this product? Then Ford can go, oh we are going to actually call it this instead.

Yeah, this makes sense. I certainly hope that this is their plan.

Probably another Probe situation.

Public: Wait, that want to call it what? Absolutely not!

Ford: well shit. Call it something else. Just kidding heres the real one! Boom: 1994 Mustang

History is doomed to repeat itself for those who dont learn from it

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

As the owner of a classic 1970 Mach 1 I don't find this amusing in any way, shape or form. If they were trying to create a "buzz" they certainly achieved that goal, but not in a positive way. My guess is that the only reason Levine backtracked on the name was because of all the negative feedback. Fail.

Here's one take on it:

Ford Motor Co. will nearly triple its investment in electrified vehicles to $11 billion, Executive Chairman Bill Ford announced Sunday night, and one of the first new all-electric models it plans to launch will be a high-performance crossover taking aim at the likes of the Tesla Roadster and the Porsche Mission E.

Codenamed Mach 1 – a name lifted from a classic version of the Ford Mustang – the high-performance battery electric vehicle will debut in 2020, said Jim Farley, the automaker’s president of global markets, and will offer, “a whole new world…for our customers.”

http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2018/01/new-high-performance-ev-to-highlight-fords-11b-electrification-program/#more-122583

Edited by Harley Lover