Jump to content





Trader 10

Maverick prototype reveals IRS

Recommended Posts

I posted about this in a different thread last year. But good to know Autoblog finally caught on. 😆

 

This is confirmation that FWD and AWD Maverick will have different rear suspension. 

 

MaverickAWD.d09.KGP_.jpg

Edited by bzcat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, bzcat said:

I posted about this in a different thread last year. But good to know Autoblog finally caught on. 😆

 

This is confirmation that FWD and AWD Maverick will have different rear suspension. 

 

MaverickAWD.d09.KGP_.jpg

 

Or does this mean that the earlier mules were not using the final suspension setup? Would be odd to use two different configurations for the same vehicle, especially for a lower cost one?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, valve said:

 

Or does this mean that the earlier mules were not using the final suspension setup? Would be odd to use two different configurations for the same vehicle, especially for a lower cost one?

 

Probably keeping the cost down on the FWD version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, valve said:

 

Or does this mean that the earlier mules were not using the final suspension setup? Would be odd to use two different configurations for the same vehicle, especially for a lower cost one?

 

 

It's very common for FWD cars on the same platform to have different rear suspension. The high performance or luxury version tends to feature IRS for better ride and handling while entry level versions have twist beam or some other type of semi-IRS. VW for example have used IRS on Golf while using twist beam on Jetta for years. Ford too has been doing the same - the lower end Focus has twist beam while Vignale and ST use IRS. Transit Connect, which is a lower cost Focus van also uses twist beam but C-Max, which is higher cost Focus van had IRS.

 

 

Edited by bzcat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2021 at 3:57 PM, ausrutherford said:

Were they expecting leaf springs or something?

I'd buy that for a dollar!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, bzcat said:

 

It's very common for FWD cars on the same platform to have different rear suspension. The high performance or luxury version tends to feature IRS for better ride and handling while entry level versions have twist beam or some other type of semi-IRS. VW for example have used IRS on Golf while using twist beam on Jetta for years. Ford too has been doing the same - the lower end Focus has twist beam while Vignale and ST use IRS. Transit Connect, which is a lower cost Focus van also uses twist beam but C-Max, which is higher cost Focus van had IRS.

 

 

Both VW and Ford use the twist beam on their lower hp engines in their Golf & Foci variants. The only Focus that escapes this is the wagon variant, and Active spec'd.  Not sure about the Jetta as it is a car that is more rare to see then a Aston Martin DB9

Edited by MKII

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MKII said:

Not sure about the Jetta as it is a car that is more rare to see then a Aston Martin DB9

 

I see lots of them around where I live...don't think I've seen a DB9 on the road here though 😛

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

 

I see lots of them around where I live...don't think I've seen a DB9 on the road here though 😛

 

 

Here I think Astons (and any other exotics) are just about as frequent as Jettas haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2021 at 1:39 PM, rmc523 said:

 

Here I think Astons (and any other exotics) are just about as frequent as Jettas haha.

 

I see plenty of Exotics or oddball luxury cars, but Astons for some reason are pretty rare in my neck of the woods. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It will be interesting to see the take rate for FWD vs AWD Maverick, I have feeling that

 save for a $20k base special, most will check the AWD option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any word on when they will show Maverick off officially? Call me crazy, But I find this thing very interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, wildosvt said:

Any word on when they will show Maverick off officially? Call me crazy, But I find this thing very interesting.

I’d venture to guess before the summer is over at the latest. Seems like it’s just about ready to go. I know a lot of people want a “cheap” pickup and hopefully this will fit the bill for them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2021 at 10:35 AM, akirby said:

 

Probably keeping the cost down on the FWD version.

 

And probably increases the payload.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Rendering https://www.motor1.com/news/490981/2022-ford-maverick-exclusive-renderings/

 

2022-ford-maverick-unofficial-rendering.

 

Also speculation on price: https://fordauthority.com/2021/02/2022-ford-maverick-to-start-at-under-20k-exclusive/

 

Article mentions Ford may use a non-EcoBoost base engine to keep prices low... I guess either 2.0 or 2.5 could work. 

 

These timed drip of information from Ford PR tells us the official release of the truck must be getting close. 

Edited by bzcat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks good.  If the actual truck is anywhere close to the rendering it should be a success.  Looks like a baby Fseries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hard to tell, but it almost looks like a 90s sized F150.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, probowler said:

Hard to tell, but it almost looks like a 90s sized F150.

 

Ranger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, twintornados said:

 

Ranger

I have a hard time believing that! (Believe it when I see it)But I hope it is, that is a great size for a truck 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, probowler said:

I have a hard time believing that! (Believe it when I see it)But I hope it is, that is a great size for a truck 👍

 

The Supercab Ranger is pretty big for what it is.

 

The Short bed Ranger with the standard cab is alot shorter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, twintornados said:

 

Ranger


Looks like they started with a sporttrac to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

17 hours ago, probowler said:

Hard to tell, but it almost looks like a 90s sized F150.

 

Really? Come on... The 10th gen F-150 crew cab with the short 5'5 bed was 222" long. Maverick will be nearly 2 ft shorter. Don't be silly. 

 

1024px-Ford_F-150_King_Ranch.jpg

 

1 hour ago, sullynd said:


Looks like they started with a sporttrac to me. 

 

1st gen Sporttrac was 206" long and 2nd gen was 210"... that's the same size as Ranger and much longer than Maverick will be I think. 

 

LWB Transit Connect is 190" and Fusion is 192" long. Ranger crew cab is 211" long.

 

Remember Maverick is supposed to replace Focus and Fusion sedan... so I think Ford will keep it around 195~200".

 

Another data point: Fiat Toro is 194"... 

Edited by bzcat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×