15 hours ago, akirby said:

Stock prices nowadays are terrible indicators of a company’s financial health.  

I don't disagree, however Ford is chasing stock value for all the reasons that stock values matter, and Ford thinks profits are the way to increase share value.

If Ford stock grew like Tesla's did then you could just imagine the value to investors. 

Also, on a related but different note. Ford's shrinking global sales and abandoning certain segments really does portray their success. 

I bought a Ranger because I want domestic car makers to succeed and because I needed a vehicle now. If things had worked out even a bit differently I would have much rather went with the upcoming Canyon and its 2.7T. 

1 hour ago, docarter said:

I bought a Ranger because I want domestic car makers to succeed and because I needed a vehicle now.

Congratulations on your new Ford Ranger docarter sir. I also bought a Ranger in 2019 instead of Honda Ridgeline for those reasons (I want Ford in particular to succeed). When Ford brings out a 100% electric version of Maverick, that will be my top choice to replace the Ranger. 

Anyway, I'm very glad that Ford introduced a unibody pickup with the Maverick. Maverick could be considered the Ford Sport Trac successor that I asked for in the Ford Wish List 5 years ago.

Saw the Maverick in person Saturday at a Ford sponsored event. Sat in it as well. I like it. Just the right height for driver and passenger entry and exit. The Bed was easily acessable too.

I went to a couple different Ford dealerships and saw a few, along with alot of Mach E GTs at one dealership (4)....the one dealership had a $5K markup on it!

On 10/18/2021 at 10:02 PM, SteelyD said:

Saw the Maverick in person Saturday at a Ford sponsored event. Sat in it as well. I like it. Just the right height for driver and passenger entry and exit. The Bed was easily acessable too.

Reminds me of a simpler time when smaller pickups could fill a niche when things weren’t all about “covered wagons”.

42 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Reminds me of a simpler time when smaller pickups could fill a niche when things weren’t all about “covered wagons”.

It was almost impossible to have a first Gen Ranger as a family vehicle.  Even in Supercab form it was a 3 seater at best.  A Mustang was a better family hauler.  You’d need another vehicle.   Nowadays any truck can be a family hauler.

7 hours ago, akirby said:

It was almost impossible to have a first Gen Ranger as a family vehicle.  Even in Supercab form it was a 3 seater at best.  A Mustang was a better family hauler.  You’d need another vehicle.   Nowadays any truck can be a family hauler.

Sorry, context here  is me living in a different part of the world, Maverick takes me back to the mid 80s dual cab Courier.

Since 1985, ROW markets have had the smaller dual cab Courier for about 20 years before they began growing in size and changing

name to larger Ranger We also had single cab pickups that were both car and light commercial based, like your Rancheros.

So the journey outside of North America is very different but to me, Maverick seems very familiar, like an old friend back again. That’s the hardest part, knowing that Ford has forgotten about the ROW buyers.

Edited by jpd80

19 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

That’s the hardest part, knowing that Ford has forgotten about the ROW buyers.

Maybe they don't want Maverick sales eating into Ranger sales ;)

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Maybe they don't want Maverick sales eating into Ranger sales ;)

Oh how the tables have turned

10 hours ago, akirby said:

My family did it for a little while. Those jump seats were torture devices. I'm surprised I never wound up with a head injury as many times as I hit my head on the window 

Oh how many of us were raised in 70s/80s "coupes", where we just had to settle for sitting in the back.  I did love my mother's philosophy...When Robocop came out in what 84-86, as a kid I'm like "OH look mom, how cool it's Robocops car! (Taurus). Shes like "OH no Anthony, that car, has 4 doors, THOSE people are wealthy, we can only afford 2 doors, which is why your an only child, we are poor"..Meanwhile my father had an F250, and my mother had a Benz coupe and convertible, no vehicle older then 3 years, but we were "poor"...I was traumatized, I'm sending her To Shady Pines !

9 hours ago, ANTAUS said:

Oh how many of us were raised in 70s/80s "coupes", where we just had to settle for sitting in the back.  I did love my mother's philosophy...When Robocop came out in what 84-86, as a kid I'm like "OH look mom, how cool it's Robocops car! (Taurus). Shes like "OH no Anthony, that car, has 4 doors, THOSE people are wealthy, we can only afford 2 doors, which is why your an only child, we are poor"..Meanwhile my father had an F250, and my mother had a Benz coupe and convertible, no vehicle older then 3 years, but we were "poor"...I was traumatized, I'm sending her To Shady Pines !

When I was 5 we got the new Ford Maverick just as it came out, coming from an old station wagon to a coupe with non lowering rear windows (they only popped out a few inches). The 4 of us travelled for years in that car, trips and all, no AC too, but I didn’t know any better lol. Now as an adult I think back, it seems like torture hahaha! 6 years later mom finally got her license so dad bought a used 1971 Coupe DeVille…much bigger, but we still had to climb into the back! But I had a power window all to myself, plus AC!

We are so spoiled today with what our cars offer,  and it it’s fun to think of the “hardships” we used to endure then.

Latest test drive review of Maverick Hybrid at Motor Trend. 2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid First Test: Thrifty, Awesome Fun (motortrend.com)

If there's only one thing you take away from this first test, it's that the 2.5-liter I-4 and permanent-magnet electric motors are more than up to the challenge of the work this truck will be asked to do. It even pulled a light trailer with shocking confidence and ease. And the planetary continuously variable transmission is no buzzkill, either, providing smooth and linear power delivery that enabled the little truck to post some solid test numbers.

2022-Ford-Maverick-XLT-10.jpg

2022-Ford-Maverick-XLT-20.jpg

7 hours ago, spudz64 said:

When I was 5 we got the new Ford Maverick just as it came out, coming from an old station wagon to a coupe with non lowering rear windows (they only popped out a few inches). The 4 of us travelled for years in that car, trips and all, no AC too, but I didn’t know any better lol. Now as an adult I think back, it seems like torture hahaha! 6 years later mom finally got her license so dad bought a used 1971 Coupe DeVille…much bigger, but we still had to climb into the back! But I had a power window all to myself, plus AC!

We are so spoiled today with what our cars offer,  and it it’s fun to think of the “hardships” we used to endure then.

I'm old enough to remember no power steering, no power brakes, no power windows, three gears on the column, radio was option, and exhaust system would rust out after two years. No headrests and outside mirror was on driver side only.

My first vehicle was a hand me down '62 Galaxie 500 and luckily had radio, power brakes and windows, 390 V8 with 4 Barrel and gas was about 30 cents/gallon. Still a fuel hog though. 

5 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

I'm old enough to remember no power steering, no power brakes, no power windows, three gears on the column, radio was option, and exhaust system would rust out after two years. No headrests and outside mirror was on driver side only.

My first vehicle was a hand me down '62 Galaxie 500 and luckily had radio, power brakes and windows, 390 V8 with 4 Barrel and gas was about 30 cents/gallon. Still a fuel hog though. 

And the option was AM only.  Seat belts were lap only.  Infant car seat was mom.  Once my sister came along I got a car seat that hooked over the back of the seat and provided a bar that came down like on a roller coaster.  No power locks.

points and plugs changed every year.  Batteries that needed to be checked and maintained regularly.  Pretty sure we always had an extra fan belt around too.  And remember to set the choke correctly.

Vehicles have come a long way since I was born.