Electric Vehicle Discussion Thread - Ford Related

rperez817

12 hours ago, Rangers09 said:

I'll suggest it isn't only applicable to trucks, as we now have about 1 month experience with DW's PHEV Escape and based on current technology and charger availability the hybrid is the perfect solution. We are currently on a 2.5 week trip, with no access to a charging station at our condo. I have looked for charging stations as we drive around town, but haven't seen one in a week.

The PHEV is working even better than I expected, using electric around the city and when on the motorway/highway using EV Charge. During a 20 mile highway trip yesterday, it put about 40% charge back into the battery, so we can continue using electric around the city.

If this was a BEV, it would already be dead at the side of the road, or we would be looking for a Ford dealer with charging station, and sitting waiting while it charges.

Did Ford remove the mobile power cord?  You should be able to plug it into a standard outlet and let it charge overnight.  No need for a charging station, but might still be hard to find an accessible outlet.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, slemke said:

Did Ford remove the mobile power cord? 

When my wife and I purchased our Mustang Mach-E a few years ago, Ford included a mobile power cord (120V/240V) at no extra charge. For 2023 model year Mustang Mach-E, it appears to be an additional feature priced at $500. Don't know if this the case for Escape PHEV too.

image.thumb.png.6db666b4bd7e966fe6a3de836673c642.png

13 hours ago, slemke said:

Did Ford remove the mobile power cord?  You should be able to plug it into a standard outlet and let it charge overnight.  No need for a charging station, but might still be hard to find an accessible outlet.

I'm aware the vehicle can be charged using a standard 110V outlet, which is what we use at home. None are available at our condo, as I have walked the entire parking garage during a previous visit. They don't recommend using an extension cord, as I would need over 300', due to voltage loss.

13 hours ago, rperez817 said:

When my wife and I purchased our Mustang Mach-E a few years ago, Ford included a mobile power cord (120V/240V) at no extra charge. For 2023 model year Mustang Mach-E, it appears to be an additional feature priced at $500. Don't know if this the case for Escape PHEV too.

image.thumb.png.6db666b4bd7e966fe6a3de836673c642.png

It comes with the standard cord for plugging into a 110V outlet. Might also work for 240V.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Rangers09 said:

I'm aware the vehicle can be charged using a standard 110V outlet, which is what we use at home. None are available at our condo, as I have walked the entire parking garage during a previous visit. They don't recommend using an extension cord, as I would need over 300', due to voltage loss.

That’s unfortunate.  Usually there are a couple outlets around somewhere for maintenance.  But like I said, might be difficult to access which seems to be your case.  And I wouldn’t put it past Ford to save some money and not include the mobile charger as that was done on the Mach e.

2025 Ford Project T3 Next-Generation Electric Pickup: Trust the Truck:
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2025-ford-f150-lightning-ev-second-generation-project-t3/

Not a ton of substance in this article but I thought the concept drawing was interesting, although it is not from Ford. Definitely has the 97 F150 vibe to it as has been discussed in these forums, and isn’t bad looking. 

Ford-T3-Pickup-2023_WEB.jpg?w=428

Edited by tbone
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, tbone said:

2025 Ford Project T3 Next-Generation Electric Pickup: Trust the Truck:
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2025-ford-f150-lightning-ev-second-generation-project-t3/

Not a ton of substance in this article but I thought the concept drawing was interesting, although it is not from Ford. Definitely has the 97 F150 vibe to it as has been discussed in these forums, and isn’t bad looking. 

Ford-T3-Pickup-2023_WEB.jpg?w=428

I have a feeling it’s going to more radical then that-they need to reduce frontal area to get better range

On 7/6/2023 at 10:33 PM, slemke said:

That’s unfortunate.  Usually there are a couple outlets around somewhere for maintenance.  But like I said, might be difficult to access which seems to be your case.  And I wouldn’t put it past Ford to save some money and not include the mobile charger as that was done on the Mach e.

they are opional on the cheaper Lightnings....$500 I believe...

On 7/1/2023 at 10:46 PM, DeluxeStang said:

I could genuinely see a future where Tesla transitions out of making cars, and instead focuses on providing access to things like their charging station and battery technology instead.

I still think the solar tile and battery wall is a long term winner. Not enough people even know about it right now. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I still think the solar tile and battery wall is a long term winner. Not enough people even know about it right now. 

Battery walls are nothing more then clapped out Telsa battery packs LOL

Not sure if Solar Tile will be viable as a replacement for roofs, unless the price comes down significantly 

8 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Battery walls are nothing more then clapped out Telsa battery packs LOL

Not sure if Solar Tile will be viable as a replacement for roofs, unless the price comes down significantly 

It would help if more than 37 people knew about it. They don’t ever talk about it.

yeah, I know the power wall is just a battery pack not much different than what they use in their cars, but that’s where the value is. There’s production scale there which should hopefully bring prices down sooner. It’s a package deal with the solar tiles in my mind. Not much point in having one without the other. 

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

It would help if more than 37 people knew about it. They don’t ever talk about it.

yeah, I know the power wall is just a battery pack not much different than what they use in their cars, but that’s where the value is. There’s production scale there which should hopefully bring prices down sooner. It’s a package deal with the solar tiles in my mind. Not much point in having one without the other. 

I had to get a roof put on my house a few years back and looked into it...didn't get very far. The big issue, as I understand it, is that you can't overbuild your solar collectors for future growth. So for example, you wanted to charge your EV at home, you wouldn't be able to factor that into the calculation as to how many panels/bricks you would need till you actually had it

3 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

I had to get a roof put on my house a few years back and looked into it...didn't get very far. The big issue, as I understand it, is that you can't overbuild your solar collectors for future growth. So for example, you wanted to charge your EV at home, you wouldn't be able to factor that into the calculation as to how many panels/bricks you would need till you actually had it

Oh there’s got to be a way to do it. Maybe grid out your roof to be able to disconnect or switch off certain sections that aren’t needed at the moment but retain their capability for later. I’m going to have to look into this once I’m done with my apprenticeship, I need to know. I want to switch to solar for my house eventually. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, joseodiaga4 said:

2026 Ford 3-Row Electric SUV: A Mainstream Electric Family Hauler

image.png.f3762ae3fa229e406a272d5b18a4baef.png

I am not sure if it's going to look like this, but it is a nice render

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2026-ford-3-row-electric-suv-future-cars

Thanks for posting.  I was looking for this render but didn’t recall where I saw it.  I think this is pretty sharp but I suspect this would be the more traditional looking SUV and not the new aero version they say is on the horizon that supposedly has the controversial styling.  

Major price cuts for F-150 Lightning announced today. Greater Plant Capacity, Improving Efficiencies Support Lower F-150 Lightning Prices for Customers | Ford Media Center

DEARBORN, Mich., July 17, 2023 – Ford is taking advantage of increased plant capacity, continued work on scaling production and cost, and improving battery raw material costs to help lower the MSRP of F-150 Lightning® for all customers.

The Rouge Electric Vehicle Center in Michigan is temporarily closed to complete final plant upgrades to triple the plant’s annual run rate to a targeted 150,000 F-150 Lightning trucks beginning this fall.

The upgrades at the plant, combined with improving battery raw material costs and continued work on scaling production and cost, help make it possible to lower pricing across the F-150 Lightning line. Customers will now have greater availability of their built-to-order truck as early as October at an MSRP closer to initial Lightning pricing.

“Shortly after launching the F-150 Lightning, rapidly rising material costs, supply constraints and other factors drove up the cost of the EV truck for Ford and our customers,” said Marin Gjaja, chief customer officer, Ford Model e. “We’ve continued to work in the background to improve accessibility and affordability to help to lower prices for our customers and shorten the wait times for their new F-150 Lightning.”

F-150%20Pricing.jpg

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

Could this be anticipating new Silverado EV competition?  It’s going to get interesting for sure.  The Silverado’s  midgate, much larger battery and longer range will attract some buyers even if cost is on high side.

https://www.caranddriver.com/chevrolet/silverado-ev

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

And with price cuts to this magnitude, we're supposed to believe that there's no profit in selling BEV vehicles until the 2nd generation BEV vehicles become available in a few years? Yeah, right!

28 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

And with price cuts to this magnitude, we're supposed to believe that there's no profit in selling BEV vehicles until the 2nd generation BEV vehicles become available in a few years? Yeah, right!

Well we have no idea what was driving the price spikes (I thought it was raw material/material costs), but I'd be kinda pissed if I just got one and paid that extra 10K on it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rick73 said:

Could this be anticipating new Silverado EV competition?  It’s going to get interesting for sure.

For sure Rick73. In addition to Silverado EV, Tesla Cybertruck just started production. Competition is getting very intense.

F-150 Lightning is the most important vehicle in Ford's global lineup nowadays, and it seems that Ford is going to do everything possible to ensure that its first mover advantage in the BEV full-size pickup truck segment isn't lost.

On 7/13/2023 at 10:03 AM, joseodiaga4 said:

2026 Ford 3-Row Electric SUV: A Mainstream Electric Family Hauler

image.png.f3762ae3fa229e406a272d5b18a4baef.png

I am not sure if it's going to look like this, but it is a nice render

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2026-ford-3-row-electric-suv-future-cars

I really hope Ford gets this right because whatever that was under the tarp isn’t this vehicle so I believe those who say it changed styling.