New Everest debuts on March 1st

I can totally see that, pick up where the last BOF Explorer left off, and pick up (space-wise) where the Edge is currently at.  Doubt they will cannibalize themselves, considering Toyota has more SUVs, in their line-up. Interesting as much as we go forward, we always return to our roots.  Next up, maybe a Ranger based minivan a'la Aerostar  :)

The reason previous Everest was not in the US was simple... US was scoped out for the entire T6 program. Ford end up spending a lot of extra money to retrofit T6 Ranger and new gasoline engine/10 speed auto combo for the US but that money didn't flow down to Everest. Instead it went to green light the Bronco which was not a bad outcome, all things considered.

It should be interesting now to see what happens to Everest because the new generation platform was designed with US market fully baked in the program. It will be super easy to certify it for sale in the US... if Ford can find a decent place to build it - demand for Ranger and Bronco is likely to keep Everest volume limited on a worldwide basis. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bzcat said:

The reason previous Everest was not in the US was simple... US was scoped out for the entire T6 program. Ford end up spending a lot of extra money to retrofit T6 Ranger and new gasoline engine/10 speed auto combo for the US but that money didn't flow down to Everest. Instead it went to green light the Bronco which was not a bad outcome, all things considered.

It wasn’t a lot of money spent on North America T6 Ranger, basically final refresh of global Ranger with US EB 2.3 as an easy fit with no changes to crash protection,upgraded Frame and rear disc brakes that were a pull ahead of T6 Gen 2, the timing for that was as development of the next Gen architecture began so a placeholder that’s proven formidable against Colorado.

At that time, the decision for next Gen product was Bronco as first vehicle, next Ranger and Everest after that. Everest was never considered for North America, a decision made under Fields as the feeling was that FNA had enough SUVs and that Everest was unnecessary internal competition, better to use that buil capacity for Bronco which was expected to be a big hit.

T6 Everest arrived roughly four years after Ranger so contained a lot of upgrades that kept it fresher, I’m delighted that the addition of North America to the T6 fold has now made global alignment of Ranger and Everest, especially the Raptor package.

It should be interesting now to see what happens to Everest because the new generation platform was designed with US market fully baked in the program. It will be super easy to certify it for sale in the US... if Ford can find a decent place to build it - demand for Ranger and Bronco is likely to keep Everest volume limited on a worldwide basis. 

With inclusion of North America comes the ability for Global to do more things and access more options and features, Everest will remain outside North America but becomes more of a match for Prado/Landcruiser 200, V6 diesel promises a smoothness that the competition can only dream about, something buyers will pay a premium to get.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, The Handler said:

Is there a good business case for T6 replacing CD6 SUVs?

No I do think so, CD6 Explorer has wider track and good weight control as well as hybrid PHEV so they won’t mess with that just to get a BOF. production is already established at CAO, they won’t mess with that until they’re ready for a complete change to electric….

What is a lost moment for me was that CD6 Explorer was not done on two wheelbases short and long, under one project, the CD6 Edge could have been delivered years earlier but like so many other missteps (CD4 sedans) opportunity was missed to get scales of economy.

On 2/18/2022 at 9:02 PM, bzcat said:

With the Edge gone soon, Ford is going to need a new 2 row CUV replacement with 75+ cubic feet of cargo space. And a price range between Escape and Explorer like the Edge. And electrified offerings unlike Edge. Hopefully Ford will show this replacement BEFORE the Edge leaves for good. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, bzcat said:

We knew CD6 Edge was in fact a thing and went pretty far in development. I believe ultimately, with Europe dropping out and China lukewarm on the prospect, Ford just didn't want to invest in another CD6 production site in North America.

They already had sunk a lot of money into the SWB CD6s but instead of developing them with the original Explorer/Aviator, Ford basically doubled development costs. In any case, Hackett had diverted a lot of funding away from ICE which made it DOA.

20 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

They already had sunk a lot of money into the SWB CD6s but instead of developing them with the original Explorer/Aviator, Ford basically doubled development costs. In any case, Hackett had diverted a lot of funding away from ICE which made it DOA.

With Explorer and Aviator BEVs perhaps there will be enough capacity in Chicago to do a SWB 2 row CD6 Edge replacement.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I saw it. I didn't really like it TBH. 

Initially, my thought was that it should have been a SWB Explorer (developed at the same time) but I’m wondering if the nice styling of the Explorer didn’t work that well on a shorter wheelbase vehicle. I do wonder though if a 114” wheelbase shorter two- row Explorer would have worked better than a separate Edge…

37 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I'm getting a feeling that it was a cross between the Escape and the Explorer and not in a good way. 

I get the feeling that had they put the initial funding into a C2, we would have seen a remarkable vehicle with hybrid and PHEV. Edge failed in Europe because it was expensive and had a 2.0 diesel right when dieselgate blew up

Edited by jpd80

20 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

I like it!  Too bad I can't buy it.

HRG

I’m happy with the effort, it sort of makes up for us antipodeans not getting Edge and Explorer  

but they still haven’t released a lot of the specs and dimensions which is a bit frustrating.

diesels for most of Everest’s market except for China which will probably get the 2.3 EB.

Edited by jpd80

Judging by the intro video,  looks like a home run...job well done Aussies!  Again too bad we wont see it in NA.

But shocker ..no mention of electrification of any sort....don't the Aussies pay attention to what the "green new dealers" say we must have?  No worries about where the juice comes from, just plug it in...someone, somewhere, will worry about generating the juice, mining the material for the batteries, and disposing of all that stuff when it reaches end of its life cycle.

"Don't worry, be happy"!  Look at how the Wall Street analysts have responded to Mr Farley's emphasis of electrics?  That is all that matters.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1