The Ford Order Tracking System Is No Longer Available.  THANKS Cyberdman For Making Available All Of These Past Years.  More Here.

NLPRacing

Ford trademarks 'Thunder' name for F-150, Ranger and Maverick - Autoblog

https://www.autoblog.com/2022/07/01/ford-trademarks-thunder-name-for-f-150-ranger-and-maverick/

I would like to speculate that this means we will get a performance street version of the F150 Thunder w/the 5.2L V8 from the Raptor R, Ranger Thunder w/the 3.0L EB HO from the Bronco Raptor and a Maverick Thunder w/the 2.3L EB from the Focus RS. 

28 minutes ago, bzcat said:

It's a nice parallel to Lightning so I'm guessing they are going to be PHEV models.

Good thinking bzcat. Longer term, maybe "Thunder" and "Lightning" will represent relative performance levels for BEV pickup trucks at Ford, with the "Thunder" models at the top?

When the vehicles are available, Ford needs a commercial with AC/DC Thunderstruck playing.

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

Good thinking bzcat. Longer term, maybe "Thunder" and "Lightning" will represent relative performance levels for BEV pickup trucks at Ford, with the "Thunder" models at the top?

Have you ever watched the movie Cars?  Lightning McQueen calls a competitor Thunder because lightning comes before thunder.  Thunder can't be the top model.

21 minutes ago, Havelock said:

Have you ever watched the movie Cars?  Lightning McQueen calls a competitor Thunder because lightning comes before thunder.  Thunder can't be the top model.

After all, light(ning) moves faster than sound (thunder).

To me, this would make the most sense as tied to the Lighting brand (I.e. performance model of Lightning/EV), but Ranger and Maverick obviously don’t have EV versions yet, so that may have to be out the window and be Hybrid versions as someone speculated above.

this likely ties into that sporty version of Maverick that we saw a while back.

I would hope we would see some V-8 action of some kind in a potential street truck. Cool name!

Posted (edited)

I wonder if GM is thinking damn, there goes another good name……..

Edited by jpd80

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

Well GM could always use Bozo. It fits.

3 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Ford probably would have sued anyway since it is too close to Thunderbird and Thunderbolt, both of which are still trademarked by Ford. 

I think the young  marketing whippersnappers  at Ford spend the $250 to file for a trademark just to see the reaction & speculation on social media. If it's generally positive, it be comes a model, app, or component name: Thunder Subwoofer,  Sync5 Thunder "Cloud" V2V connectivity.  Cheap research.

On 7/1/2022 at 12:18 PM, T-dubz said:

To me, lightning is the EV and thunder is the ICE

Thunder is probably PHEV. That's my guess and I'm sticking to it.

14 hours ago, Chrisgb said:

I think the young  marketing whippersnappers  at Ford spend the $250 to file for a trademark just to see the reaction & speculation on social media. If it's generally positive, it be comes a model, app, or component name: Thunder Subwoofer,  Sync5 Thunder "Cloud" V2V connectivity.  Cheap research.

Or more like Ford grabs a good name before the competition thinks of using it on one of their models…

13 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Or more like Ford grabs a good name before the competition thinks of using it on one of their models…

That's a good explanation jpd80. In April, Stellantis tried to steal Ford's thunder figuratively speaking when they sent out this twit/tweet around the same time as the F-150 Lightning launch event.

As you mentioned, maybe Ford is attempting to prevent Stellantis and other companies from stealing Ford's thunder literally. 😀

10 hours ago, rperez817 said:

That's a good explanation jpd80. In April, Stellantis tried to steal Ford's thunder figuratively speaking when they sent out this twit/tweet around the same time as the F-150 Lightning launch event.

As you mentioned, maybe Ford is attempting to prevent Stellantis and other companies from stealing Ford's thunder literally. 😀

Oddly enough, Ford also trademarked the 'Skyline' name in America last year. The name was used by Nissan elsewhere so it was odd that Ford would trademark that here. Perhaps they just wanted to grab the name. I do think, however, the 'Thunder' will be a trim line. Like some others here, I think it will likely be a performance-tuned hybrid/plug-in hybrid ICE to go alongside the 'Lightning' EV.

18 hours ago, pffan1990 said:

Oddly enough, Ford also trademarked the 'Skyline' name in America last year. The name was used by Nissan elsewhere so it was odd that Ford would trademark that here. Perhaps they just wanted to grab the name. I do think, however, the 'Thunder' will be a trim line. Like some others here, I think it will likely be a performance-tuned hybrid/plug-in hybrid ICE to go alongside the 'Lightning' EV.

Ford used the Skyline name before Prince/Datsun/Nissan did. First model was in 1956 as a 1957. 

1 hour ago, jasonj80 said:

Ford used the Skyline name before Prince/Datsun/Nissan did. First model was in 1956 as a 1957. 

I know Ford used Skyliner.  I don”t remember Skyline, though. 

4 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

3 hours ago, CurtisH said:

I know Ford used Skyliner.  I don”t remember Skyline, though. 

Right. There was the Skyliner which was a retractable hardtop convertible during 1957-1959. It was previously a Crestline Skyliner in 1954 and Fairlane Crown Victoria Skyliner in 1955-1956. Ford did resurrect the Skyliner name as a luxurious concept van for the full-size Transit van. It was called the Ford Transit Skyliner.

https://fordauthority.com/2021/07/ford-skyline-trademark-foreshadows-potential-future-vehicle/

Posted (edited)

Electrek article today says that Maverick Thunder and Ranger Thunder are electric versions of those trucks in the U.S., but in Europe they're Lightnings. Ford files trademarks for electric versions of smaller Maverick and Ranger pickup trucks - Electrek

Now in the US, Ford also recently filed trademarks for electric versions of the Maverick and Ranger, but it is calling them “Maverick Thunder” and “Ranger Thunder”:

Again, Ford chose the category that specifies both pickup trucks and electric vehicles for those trademarks.

Electrek's take: Whether it is called the Thunder or Lightning, or both, this is great news for electrification, especially in the US where pickup trucks are so popular, and therefore more electric pickup models are needed to accelerate EV adoption.

The electric versions of those smaller pickup trucks should also come at a lower price than the F-150 Lightning, which should prove really interesting.

With how fast Ford is moving into electrification these days, I wouldn’t be surprised if we see official announcements and unveiling of those trucks relatively soon.

Screen-Shot-2022-07-12-at-6.00.59-AM.jpg?quality=82&strip=all

Screen-Shot-2022-07-12-at-6.00.35-AM.jpg?quality=82&strip=all

Edited by rperez817

Since Ford just trademarked the Lightning names for both Maverick and Ranger, maybe the Thunder names will be used for hybrid models?  Or PHEV hybrids?

24 minutes ago, 92merc said:

Since Ford just trademarked the Lightning names for both Maverick and Ranger, maybe the Thunder names will be used for hybrid models?  Or PHEV hybrids?

I would bet it's the PHEV versions for sure. I am no insider though.

Performance versions of Lightnings? Lol