2024 Tacoma Shown Off

silvrsvt

1 hour ago, akirby said:

The only thing holding back Ranger is Bronco.  If parts or assembly line slots are scarce then Bronco will get them.  It’s a shame they can’t go all out 3 shifts on both.

Going to three shifts at MAP was one of the things in the new UAW contract.  No timetable was given though.

2 hours ago, akirby said:

The only thing holding back Ranger is Bronco.  If parts or assembly line slots are scarce then Bronco will get them.  It’s a shame they can’t go all out 3 shifts on both.

I don’t disagree. It’s really bizarre they are hamstringing their own new model without adding that third shift. It’s clear they couldn’t sufficiently meet demand for the Bronco without sacrificing substantial Ranger production.

1 hour ago, tbone said:

I don’t disagree. It’s really bizarre they are hamstringing their own new model without adding that third shift. It’s clear they couldn’t sufficiently meet demand for the Bronco without sacrificing substantial Ranger production.

They haven't been able to get enough parts for either anyway.

1 hour ago, tbone said:

It's been reported numerous times that a lot of the Ranger production problems were related to parts and supply chain issues.

15 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

It's what makes a Toyota a Toyota. I'll give them credit that many of their designs are unique looking, fresh, and energetic. But they don't age gracefully at all. The rav 4 looks pretty terrible, particularly the face of the thing, and the Camry looks older than the last gen fusion. The ft-1 was solid until they butchered the proportions with the production supra, that's according to the team that designed it. The new MR2 looks sweet, and seems like it'll come to production. But it probably won't come here knowing our luck. 

I’m not disagreeing with you btw, but I had to laugh at the “don’t age gracefully” comment simply because Toyota has so many “new” vehicles that are quite old yet still selling more than much newer entries from the competition. I think the Tacoma was last redone in 2015. The RAV4 and camry were 2018, 4Runner was 2009.

Toyotas new concepts all look really good imo. The crown sedan (not the one we are getting) is probably one of the better sedan designs I’ve seen in a while and I’d definitely consider the crown sport if it were offered in the US.

1 hour ago, tbone said:

I don’t think they had enough parts to run 3 shifts of anything.  Hopefully that changes soon.

1 hour ago, T-dubz said:

I’m not disagreeing with you btw, but I had to laugh at the “don’t age gracefully” comment simply because Toyota has so many “new” vehicles that are quite old yet still selling more than much newer entries from the competition. I think the Tacoma was last redone in 2015. The RAV4 and camry were 2018, 4Runner was 2009.

Toyotas new concepts all look really good imo. The crown sedan (not the one we are getting) is probably one of the better sedan designs I’ve seen in a while and I’d definitely consider the crown sport if it were offered in the US.

To be fair, Toyotas sell well because they have the perception of long term reliability. I say perception, because the ranger and maverick both scored better than the Tacoma on reliability and quality indexs. 

Toyota is the "I'm 86 and I just need a reliable car so I can go to church each Sunday" car brand, they've kind swapped places with Cadillac in that regard. Most people who buy Toyotas don't care about owning an exciting car. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

To be fair, Toyotas sell well because they have the perception of long term reliability. I say perception, because the ranger and maverick both scored better than the Tacoma on reliability and quality indexs. 

Toyota's reputation for reliability isn't just based on perception. The company consistently ranks high in objective measures in this regard. For example, Toyota and Lexus took the top 2 spots for predicted reliability among brands in Consumer Reports' most recent Automotive Reliability Survey, the results of which were released to readers yesterday.

image.thumb.png.88b8b6e9ccd137917c1bd00a41588096.png

However, 2024 Tacoma may experience mediocre or worse reliability rating in its first year. New Tundra, which 2024 Tacoma shares some engineering with, is the least reliable Toyota model in the survey and is rated below average (see below). Also, when the Tacoma was last redesigned for 2016 model year, it also rated below average in its first year.

image.thumb.png.0e73fdcb2c2359ef34be99f8d1c6297b.png

19 hours ago, akirby said:

That's a poor excuse, IMO. @fuzzymoomoo can correct me here, but I believe that MAP has the potential to build vehicles at a ~250,000/yr clip,  and they're running half or less than that, heavily skewed toward Bronco. Meanwhile, Toyota manages to scavenge enough parts to put together 237,000 Tacomas for the US (2022).

i recently contracted to have a 1/2 bath remodeled and a kitchen floor replaced. The winning contractor had the lowest bid, but the work would be "worked in" around other jobs. We had full function of both rooms but the 3-4 day job took over four weeks. We're happy with the work, but it was a major inconvenience.

I wonder if Ford bids some parts the same way; "Yeah, we can make the parts that cheap, but we're gonna run them around the normal contracts..."

In light trucks, Ford has become a one trick pony; F-Series, or go somewhere else. 

1 hour ago, Chrisgb said:

That's a poor excuse, IMO. @fuzzymoomoo can correct me here, but I believe that MAP has the potential to build vehicles at a ~250,000/yr clip,  and they're running half or less than that, heavily skewed toward Bronco. Meanwhile, Toyota manages to scavenge enough parts to put together 237,000 Tacomas for the US (2022).

i recently contracted to have a 1/2 bath remodeled and a kitchen floor replaced. The winning contractor had the lowest bid, but the work would be "worked in" around other jobs. We had full function of both rooms but the 3-4 day job took over four weeks. We're happy with the work, but it was a major inconvenience.

I wonder if Ford bids some parts the same way; "Yeah, we can make the parts that cheap, but we're gonna run them around the normal contracts..."

In light trucks, Ford has become a one trick pony; F-Series, or go somewhere else. 

In some cases it’s a labor issue with the supplier.  Not much Ford can do if they can’t find people to work, and it’s not easy to find new or alternate suppliers due to the volume and lead times.  In other cases it’s the supplier getting raw materials or just transportation.  It’s a complicated issue.  I’m sure Ford is partially to blame but not 100%.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chrisgb said:

Having a preexisting supply chain for parts that has been in operations for years pre covid is a huge help too

Ford was spinning up the Bronco right as COVID hit and the Ranger had a major issue with a supplier going belly up with brake lines last fall (or was it 2021?) which impacted production.

I wouldn't call what has happened over the past three year or so a good indication of what Ford can't or can do. We are finally getting over the hump with supply issues and demand is waning so things should get better for production at least in the next 12 months. 

On 11/28/2023 at 11:24 PM, DeluxeStang said:

Oh my God it's a fucking snowplow. That thing is gonna catch so much grime in the winter. 

My '18 F150 Lariat 2wd had the same thing. 8 bolts and removed for every winter, put back on in spring, over 4.5 years never damaged it.

1 hour ago, maginty said:

My '18 F150 Lariat 2wd had the same thing. 8 bolts and removed for every winter, put back on in spring, over 4.5 years never damaged it.

Regardless, I don’t think your air dam is that big. And I thought the one they put on my old Superduty was big.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2023 at 7:47 AM, Dequindre said:

Nice Charger! I have an F8 Green GT and love it. 

Thanks, after 33 yrs of Ford only, I bought my first Charger SRT8 new in 2007. We took a road trip west coast to east coast, US side one way, Canada side the other. Was super comfortable, and we had people coming up at gas stations from 10-80yrs old commenting on the looks, some even asking what it was. We liked it so much we bought this new Charger SRT392 in 2015 and have had O problems with either one. I've had this one at the track, bone stock down to tire pressure and ran a 12.8 1/4 mile at 2292 ft elevation. My first one with the 6.1, I had up to 164mph and this one 172mph, just like the old days when vehicles were governed by your right foot. This one has active exhaust that sounds sweet, and enough room in the rear seat for 3 teenage grandkids.

• Like 1