2024 Nautilus -- Feedback for Ford/Lincoln Management

I bought my second Lincoln, a 2022 Nautilus Black Label in Flight Blue Metallic with the Luggage Tan Flight interior. (I passed down my first Lincoln -- a 2018 MKC Reserve -- to my sixteen-year-old daughter). Our other car is a fully loaded 2018 Chrysler Pacifica plugin hybrid. Previous cars included two Acura MDXs, a BMW 328i wagon, and a Volvo V70R wagon.

I could not be happier with my Nautilus. The 2.7T AWD powertrain is smooth and powerful. The ride and handling in all three modes (Comfort/Normal/Sport) is exemplary. The interior is beautiful and supremely comfortable with excellent ergonomics. The SYNC 4 entertainment system with wireless CarPlay and 19 speakers is simply terrific. And Crest Lincoln in Woodbridge, CT is the best dealer I've ever done business with. 

That said. I've seen the announcements about the 2024 Nautilus. And as owner of a small manufacturing company with 60 employees in CT and OH, I will never buy a Lincoln -- or any other car -- made in China. I prefer products made in the USA, but I have no problem buying goods made in Canada, Japan, Germany, Austria, Sweden, Australia, New Zealand, the UK, etc. because companies in those countries (like those in the U.S.) respect intellectual property rights, generally offer reasonable pay and benefits, and usually act responsibly when it comes to the environment. Not so with China. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, akirby said:

They know but given the need to get new BEVs into production it was either import it or drop it.  I think there is a good chance it moves to Louisville with Corsair at some point.

I hope you’re right. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jniffen said:

My ordered ‘24 Nautilus has passed the built stage,  not sure how long for shipping.

Back to topic, I’m saddened the Lincoln look has been dropped for a certain Korean auto design.

Think you mean '23 Nautilus. The 2024's don't start shipping for another 8 months or so.

• 4 weeks later...

I currently own two Lincolns, aMKS and an MKX.  I will be replacing them in the near future and would have like to but a 2024 Nautilus unfortunately I will never buy a car made in China. The US has already shipped too many job to China and it’s disgraceful that Ford/Lincoln will be doing it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dug50 said:

I currently own two Lincolns, aMKS and an MKX.  I will be replacing them in the near future and would have like to but a 2024 Nautilus unfortunately I will never buy a car made in China. The US has already shipped too many job to China and it’s disgraceful that Ford/Lincoln will be doing it.

Except these jobs were never in the US and they’re not shipping these jobs to China.  But your aversion to Chinese products is very understandable and shared by many.

• Like 3

I am also adverse to buying a Nautilus built in China.  I would have preferred a Nautilus BEV built in NA.  Mildly disappointed in the powertrain option, would have like to see a 2.7 or a bit more power from the hybrid or even a PHEV version.  Might change my mind when the first few hit the dealer and I can look.

• Like 3

Former Ford CEO Alan Mulally recommended dropping the Lincoln Division years ago, but the Ford family which controls the company insisted on continued investments in Lincoln to re-establish the brand, etc. Not considering the transition from ICE to EV, Lincoln has only 4 SUV models and no cars or halo product. Lincoln's "smoke and mirrors" marketing message always talk about the Lincoln future product plans but show few results currently after all these years. Lincoln's success, if you can call it that, has been due to its sales in China. And now, enthusiastic or loyal Lincoln customers have to decide whether to purchase a 2024 Lincoln Nautilus exported from China.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ice-capades said:

Former Ford CEO Alan Mulally recommended dropping the Lincoln Division years ago, but the Ford family which controls the company insisted on continued investments in Lincoln to re-establish the brand, etc. Not considering the transition from ICE to EV, Lincoln has only 4 SUV models and no cars or halo product. Lincoln's "smoke and mirrors" marketing message always talk about the Lincoln future product plans but show few results currently after all these years. Lincoln's success, if you can call it that, has been due to its sales in China. And now, enthusiastic or loyal Lincoln customers have to decide whether to purchase a 2024 Lincoln Nautilus exported from China.  

Starting in 2017 with release of the new Continental and followed in short order by the all-new Navigator, the updated MKX (the Nautilus), the Aviator and Corsair, Lincoln appeared to be making a serious move toward revitalization and sales were improving. But the new Continental never really caught on as much as many hoped and Lincoln never made an effort to update it. Then FMC decided to shut down all sedans in North America (pretending initially that Lincoln was excluded), and then further development of the line seemed to come to a screeching halt with the all-new Nautilus canceled (later revised for China and now being brought here) and then the Rivian-derived large flagship electric vehicle also canceled. So now Lincoln has just 4 vehicles, which almost became 3. We'll see if FMC actually plans another revitalization effort as the company moves along its electrification route. What Lincoln needs is a vision, fiercely competitive product (and more of them), and maybe an impressive halo sedan (or pretend large crossover with a sloped back and lower stance -- so yeah, pretty much a sedan). But all of that takes serious investment and an actual commitment to the brand. I'm not saying make stuff luxury buyers don't want; there's lots of product out there in the luxury field that does sell. FMC really needs to decide whether to compete full-on in the luxury space on a sustained basis. Just look how far and how fast Genesis has risen in the field. It is possible, but again it takes sustained commitment, a vision, great products and resources.

Back on topic, I'll be getting the 2024 Nautilus (I have a Black Label on order), which will be my second Lincoln. It is fine with me that the more powerful engine option is a hybrid, though I'd like it to have at least (and ideally more) power than the outgoing excellent twin scroll V6. I would really like to be able to avoid oversized wheels that Lincoln wants to forced me into; I may go as far as to buy my own and put them on. I wish it wasn't coming from China, but I understand the special circumstances that made this necessary at least as a stop-gap measure. If the Nautilus wasn't being brought over from China -- the only realistic option in the short term -- Lincoln would have lost me as a customer as I look to replace my 2019 Nautilus. I like the unique cabin configuration, with the smaller steering wheel and the sweep of screens above the wheel displaying driver information. Even with its recent problems, Lincoln continues to arguably have the best interiors in the business.

Edited by Gurgeh
  • Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with jcwCT completely.  I have a 2019 Nautilus Reserve 2.7 ecoboost.  I would have purchased a 2024-25 model.  BUT no China Built Lincoln in my future and I would never purchase a vehicle with a CVT transmission.  SO, I guess there's no new Lincoln's in my future. 

12 hours ago, RickinLA said:

I agree with jcwCT completely.  I have a 2019 Nautilus Reserve 2.7 ecoboost.  I would have purchased a 2024-25 model.  BUT no China Built Lincoln in my future and I would never purchase a vehicle with a CVT transmission.  SO, I guess there's no new Lincoln's in my future. 

A CVT in a hybrid is completely different then what you find in a gas powered vehicle...they aren't as horrible.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

A CVT in a hybrid is completely different then what you find in a gas powered vehicle...they aren't as horrible.

eCVT are way better than conventional automatic in a Hybrid/PIH application; drive considerably smoother. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Neither power split CVT (aka electric variable transmission) nor pulley type CVT are horrible. If you want examples of horrible automatic transmissions, the infamous Ford-Getrag DPS6 unit would be at the top of the list. Several Ford designed torque converter based slushboxes are in the horrible category too, most recently the 10R80.

6 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Neither power split CVT (aka electric variable transmission) nor pulley type CVT are horrible. If you want examples of horrible automatic transmissions, the infamous Ford-Getrag DPS6 unit would be at the top of the list. Several Ford designed torque converter based slushboxes are in the horrible category too, most recently the 10R80.

My experience with a Dodge Caliber rental refutes that...not to mention all the issues with various Nissan, Honda and whoever elses CVTs I see crop up on social media all the time. 

2 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

My experience with a Dodge Caliber rental refutes that...not to mention all the issues with various Nissan, Honda and whoever elses CVTs I see crop up on social media all the time. 

My experience with rental Nissans also refute that.  I think the Subaru u it’s are ok.

2 hours ago, rperez817 said:

The 10R80 isn’t even remotely close to being in the same category as the DPS6.  The 10 has been in service since the 2017 Raptor and the rest of the lineup from 2018 on. There have been some issues with them, However, it’s not the POS that you are claiming into to be. If it were, the F150 would likely no longer be the best selling truck, because nobody will continue to roll the dice on that expensive of an item to replace.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2023 at 2:47 PM, ice-capades said:

most won’t know it’s built in China.   Not saying it’s ideal, but I don’t think most will know, and it’s more important for Lincoln to not abandon the segment (for now?) like Ford is with Edge

• Like 4

The Buick Envsion, both generations one and two, have been imported from China and most shoppers and buyers don't seem to care. I compared an Envision Avenir with a loaded Corsair. The Envision was $14,000.00 less expensive and had more features and equipment than the overpriced Corsair. I have had six MKXs and one Nautilus, and have order a 2024 Black Label Nautilus. It was serialized a few days after the order was submitted in April. Would I prefer it was built in Oakville? Of course, but my many iPhones and Alexa products prove Chinese quality is as good as, or better than, anywhere else.  Elon Musk has stated that Teslas built in Shanghai have the highest quality of all his plants. Frankly, when I hear the new UAW president declare war on the Detroit 3, where hourly workers and retirees have superior benefits to salaried employees and retirees, and are among the highest compensated hourly employees in any U.S. industry, I have no compelling reason to continue to support them.

Edited by akirby

27 minutes ago, saintlaz1 said:

Anyone that has order a 24 have you gotten the tracking link? 

Tracking Link? The Job #1 Date for the 2024MY Nautilus isn't until 09/06/2023. There's nothing to track until after production starts, etc. The 2024 Nautilus scheduling start date is still TBD. 

23 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

Tracking Link? The Job #1 Date for the 2024MY Nautilus isn't until 09/06/2023. There's nothing to track until after production starts, etc. The 2024 Nautilus scheduling start date is still TBD. 

So dealers that have taken custom order for this and deposits Jusr sit on it till September 

2 hours ago, saintlaz1 said:

So dealers that have taken custom order for this and deposits Jusr sit on it till September 

It’s been submitted it to Ford but what exactly do you expect Ford to do before they actually start production?

• Like 2

20 hours ago, akirby said:

It’s been submitted it to Ford but what exactly do you expect Ford to do before they actually start production?

The only thing expected would be like the order number and a pending production status I thought that’s how that worked