Ford July 2023 Sales - Up 5.9% overall

Looks like lower June production of Explorer/Aviator really hurt their sales.

Also something I noticed - Ford interestingly breaks down Chicago into "Main" and "SHO" (I'm assuming SHO is the hybrid/plug in versions), but they don't break down Dearborn to separate Lightning numbers even though it's a separate section.

For those interested in Mediums

Ford Totals list Heavy truck at 8806 units

OAP Stats list heavy truck at 8350 and Super Duty at 13,457.   Again question where is F-600?  I'm thinking it is in the Super Duty count.

And when it comes to SD, OAP does 450 and 550 chassis and are those still built at KTP?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

Looks like lower June production of Explorer/Aviator really hurt their sales.

Also something I noticed - Ford interestingly breaks down Chicago into "Main" and "SHO" (I'm assuming SHO is the hybrid/plug in versions), but they don't break down Dearborn to separate Lightning numbers even though it's a separate section.

Chicago SHO is a different building about a mile away.

2 hours ago, joseodiaga4 said:

164 Aviators? ?? what’s happening? 

Lack of inventory?

Looks like Ford has about 1,800 units in stock which based on YTD sales is roughly 45 days in stock. That normally is a good inventory level but when the gross number drops that low (below 2,000), availability becomes a problem. Maybe the customs wants blue but most of the 1,800 units are white, for example. That's an extreme example but you get the point... maybe the 1,800 scattered around dealer lots do not have desirable color or options and they are very slow to churn, while the dealers have ran out of the popular trim or option/color combo.

Looks at the production chart... in June, Ford stopped building Aviator/Explorer for part of the month. In July the production rebounded a little but still not to normal level. That means they are drawing down the inventory and if customer can't find the right combo at Lincoln dealer, they move on to the Acura or Audi dealer across the street.

Edited by bzcat

Explorer and Aviator production (and sales) suffered in June and July due to the 360 degree camera blue screen issue which turned into a recall which became a major problem. 

There was a stop sale on all Explorer and Aviators in inventory. If either had that 360 degree camera then they couldn’t be sold..a solution had finally been developed but they have a lot of work to do to get things back on track.

11 minutes ago, bzcat said:

Lack of inventory?

Looks like Ford has about 1,800 units in stock which based on YTD sales is roughly 45 days in stock. That normally is a good inventory level but when the gross number drops that low (below 2,000), availability becomes a problem. Maybe the customs wants blue but most of the 1,800 units are white, for example. That's an extreme example but you get the point... maybe the 1,800 scattered around dealer lots do not have desirable color or options and they are very slow to churn, while the dealers have ran out of the popular trim or option/color combo.

Looks at the production chart... in June, Ford stopped building Aviator/Explorer for part of the month. In July the production rebounded a little but still not to normal level. That means they are drawing down the inventory and if customer can't find the right combo at Lincoln dealer, they move on to the Acura or Audi dealer across the street.

There has been 0-2 Aviators on the lot of the Lincoln dealer near me for the last 3 to 4 months and ironically I believe they have been white.  Hard to sell what you don’t have.  

12 minutes ago, ExplorerDude said:

Explorer and Aviator production (and sales) suffered in June and July due to the 360 degree camera blue screen issue which turned into a recall which became a major problem. 

There was a stop sale on all Explorer and Aviators in inventory. If either had that 360 degree camera then they couldn’t be sold..a solution had finally been developed but they have a lot of work to do to get things back on track.

The blue screen issue has been around since 2020.  It was happening on the 2020 we had.  Nice they have gotten around to fixing it.  

15 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

For those interested in Mediums

Ford Totals list Heavy truck at 8806 units

OAP Stats list heavy truck at 8350 and Super Duty at 13,457.   Again question where is F-600?  I'm thinking it is in the Super Duty count.

Correct that’s what the common knowledge is, deductive counts between certain lists for other sources helps the process but I cannot afford the annual subscription anymore…

15 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

And when it comes to SD, OAP does 450 and 550 chassis and are those still built at KTP?

as far as I know the SD cab chassis units are built a Ohio

Now the National dealer stock of Mach E is at 9,145

California Route 1………..392……..long range………...213

GT…………………………………3,465

Premium………………….….4,366…….long range……...2,667

Select……………………………..923

Of the 9,000 odd Mach Es at dealerships, less then 3,000 have the desirable long range battery

Ford wants dealers to pay $1 million for upgrades so it can give them BEVs that sell like ass…..

Edited by jpd80
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

Now the National dealer stock of Mach E is at 9,145

California Route 1………..392……..long range………...213

GT…………………………………3,465

Premium………………….….4,366…….long range……...2,667

Select……………………………..923

Of the 9,000 odd Mach Es at dealerships, less then 3,000 have the desirable long range battery

Ford wants dealers to pay $1 million for upgrades so it can give them BEVs that sell like ass…..

Well Ford better put in the work to try and resolve this situation quickly.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Oacjay98 said:

Paltry numbers for the Mach-E And the Lightning. Ford has a long long way to go with these electric vehicle sales. It’s quite concerning actually. If this trend continues I can see Ford changing plans YET AGAIN.

Ford indicated that the plant upgrades and associated production shutdowns at CSAP for Mustang Mach-E and Rouge Electric Vehicle Center for F-150 Lightning that took place earlier in 2023 resulted in those paltry numbers. 

But you make an excellent point about the trend continuing Oacjay98. Hopefully, the decline Ford Model e division sales in July is just a temporary blip. If it isn't, Ford is in serious trouble. Ford's survival as a company is predicated on a successful transition to 100% electric vehicles. Fingers crossed that Ford is able to achieve a 600,000 unit yearly run rate for BEV in early 2024, and the upward spike for F-150 Lightning sales performance starting this month as Ford mentioned in the graphic below.

Rouge%20EVC%20Production%20Climb.jpg 

58 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Ford indicated that the plant upgrades and associated production shutdowns at CSAP for Mustang Mach-E and Rouge Electric Vehicle Center for F-150 Lightning that took place earlier in 2023 resulted in those paltry numbers. 

But you make an excellent point about the trend continuing Oacjay98. Hopefully, the decline Ford Model e division sales in July is just a temporary blip. If it isn't, Ford is in serious trouble. Ford's survival as a company is predicated on a successful transition to 100% electric vehicles. Fingers crossed that Ford is able to achieve a 600,000 unit yearly run rate for BEV in early 2024, and the upward spike for F-150 Lightning sales performance starting this month as Ford mentioned in the graphic below.

It’s still early in the process so I’m not in panic mode yet. Let’s hope the sales trend up going forward.  Thanks for the graphic.

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

Unless I’m reading graph incorrectly, the last 3 or 4 months of 2023 are indeed much improved, but since data is “cumulative”, doesn’t it mean that straight line represents flat sales without growth during that period?  I can’t tell accurately, but it appears like roughly 10,000 units per month, which in itself is quite an improvement over July.  That part is great, however, a rate of roughly 120,000 Lightning per year will be short of getting close to 600,000 early in 2024 unless we see much greater contribution from Mach E and E-Transit.  Or Lightning sales would have to  increase well above 10,000 per month?  Just saying it doesn’t look to me like 600,000 rate will be achieved in early 2024.  Ford left it open for full year, and I would expect later in 2024 is more likely.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rick73 said:

Unless I’m reading graph incorrectly, the last 3 or 4 months of 2023 are indeed much improved, but since data is “cumulative”, doesn’t it mean that straight line represents flat sales without growth during that period?  I can’t tell accurately, but it appears like roughly 10,000 units per month, which in itself is quite an improvement over July.  That part is great, however, a rate of roughly 120,000 Lightning per year will be short of getting close to 600,000 early in 2024 unless we see much greater contribution from Mach E and E-Transit.  Or Lightning sales would have to  increase well above 10,000 per month?  Just saying it doesn’t look to me like 600,000 rate will be achieved in early 2024.  Ford left it open for full year, and I would expect later in 2024 is more likely.

I have a bad feeling about this, Ford ramping up Lightning production is one thing but, has it been too long?
Whispers are that many of those early enthusiastic reservations have evaporated.

So my take on this is that you’re correct with the 120,000 production figure and it would be dangerous for them to stick with delusions of massive preorders still being there ….I’m betting that Ford keeps walking back the 600,000 figure…….or just stop talking about it.

Edited by jpd80