UAW Demands 46% Pay Hike

1 hour ago, tbone said:

What is your opinion of this deal?

Could be better. It’s not horrible not great. UAW comparisons flying. People pissed no profit sharing. Wanting more percentages in comparison to uaw. 3 year contract is a factor. Retooling questions, retool delayed til end of second quarter 2024 possibly later. No SWW during retool. SUB AND EI

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Ugh, I just want this to be over

Sure seems like Ford and UAW may reach a deal sooner than later. 

We just went through this in my industry recently and it was very stressful. Finally went to binding arbitration in DC where a board imposed a contract upon the companies and the union members. No one is particularly happy on either side but the deal is reasonable and fair in my opinion. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Wow, UAW cancels additional actions at Ford plants because it sees meaningful progress,

Ford is offering to reinstate COLA.

This will probably force GM an Stellantis to do similar kind of agreements……

1 hour ago, paintguy said:

Hey, in the USA that is dangerously close to political talk. LOL Apologies to moderator in advance...

Lol I know all too well about US politics which this Canadian will stay out of. The workforce is very divided over the contract. 54 percent ratification shows that. People are really suspicious of the union. I predicted if this passed it would be by a narrow margin.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ice-capades said:

UAW Might Be Demanding Too Much

Washington Post Opinion by Catherine Rampell via the Las Vegas Sun, published in today's Las Vegas Review-Journal (No link available)

Las Vegas Review-Journal_2023-09-25_UAW Might Be Demanding Too Much.jpg

Las Vegas Review-Journal_2023-09-25_UAW Might Be Demanding Too Much.pdf

Wow, that came from the Post?  I about fell out of

my chair!   Although I raise an eyebrow to “booming demand” for BEVs, and the the implications of being “reliant” on the demand for gas-guzzling trucks and SUVs.   Sorry, you can’t help providing what people actually want to buy.  

9 minutes ago, tbone said:

Wow, that came from the Post?  I about fell out of

my chair!   Although I raise an eyebrow to “booming demand” for BEVs, and the the implications of being “reliant” on the demand for gas-guzzling trucks and SUVs.   Sorry, you can’t help providing what people actually want to buy.  

Agreed about the so-called booming demand for BEV's... where is it exactly?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

Agreed about the so-called booming demand for BEV's... where is it exactly?

The capacity appears to be there now but the demand seems to have faded.  Tesla still has the advantage when it comes to BEVs,  as it is seen as the originator of the electric car and it is also considered by many to be a luxury vehicle, whether it is or not, so it does not surprise me their sales numbers are better in this category.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tbone said:

The capacity appears to be there now but the demand seems to have faded.  Tesla still has the advantage when it comes to BEVs,  as it is seen as the originator of the electric car and it is also considered by many to be a luxury vehicle, whether it is or not, so it does not surprise me their sales numbers are better in this category.  

It is a host of different things:

https://www.theautopian.com/electric-vehicle-demand-summer-2023/

“Price cuts do show that we’re in sort of an equilibrium of demand and supply and price so when sales aren’t there, they’re going to be dropping price,” said Mark Wakefield, co-head of consultancy AlixPartners’ automotive practice. “Tesla in particular has the room to do that.”

Wakefield said it is too soon to declare that U.S. EV demand has hit a plateau. “We see it as choppy growth, but continued growth,” he said.

IMO I think the cratering in demand is over reported and not as big of deal as people are making it out to be. 

Edited by silvrsvt

14 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

It is a host of different things:

https://www.theautopian.com/electric-vehicle-demand-summer-2023/

IMO I think the cratering in demand is over reported and not as big of deal as people are making it out to be. 

I’m respect to your posted quote, Tesla certainly has a labor cost advantage to cut the car prices, assuming the Post article is correct.