New Leader Shifts Lincoln's EV Plans - Lincoln is Expected to Discontinue Gasoline Versions of the Corsair and Aviator, While Its First EV, a Three-Row Crossover, is Expected in Late 2025

silvrsvt

51 minutes ago, paintguy said:

Insuring sinking sales for years to come. People who buy Lincoln SUVs are looking for luxury cruising and do long trips. At least those I know of do that. BEV charging has been sketchy for makes other than Tesla.

Actually, all Lincoln EVs will come equipped for full access to the Tesla charging network. Ford's CEO struck that deal a few months ago with Musk. Starting next year all Ford and (eventually) Lincoln EVs will be produced using the Tesla port for charging. That said, there is still a lot of work that needs to be done to make long EV road trips less problematic.

Edited by Gurgeh

1 hour ago, paintguy said:

Insuring sinking sales for years to come. People who buy Lincoln SUVs are looking for luxury cruising and do long trips. At least those I know of do that. BEV charging has been sketchy for makes other than Tesla.

Well about a week ago, it was announced that some of the battery tech Ford was investing in would offer longer ranges, but cost more. They're drastically different to ford's current lithium ion battery backs. Many theorized these would be used on Lincoln EVs. Future Ford and Lincoln EVs will also have access to Tesla's charging network, so it shouldn't be as much of an issue. 

17 hours ago, Gurgeh said:

Dang paywall. But thanks for the extensive subject line which, I suppose, does a good job summarizing the article.

If you view the page source and scroll you can read the article, just have to read between the code. 

They are also shrinking dealer count even more. 

TBH Lincoln just sounds dead at this point in the US market and should be shut down. Ford just don't want to have to pay to close the dealerships so they will keep base minimal product and let the dealers just close on their own. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

24 minutes ago, Flying68 said:

Thanks for sharing. Wow, things in Lincoln-land look pretty dismal. It was only a few years ago that Lincoln had great ambitions to grow their market share, grow their line-up, and strongly encourage Lincoln dealerships to become Lincoln-only.  I have the 2024 hybrid Nautilus on order. Will probably still go through with it. But looking forward, my guess is that Lincoln will become to Ford what Buick is to GM. A make that is mainly focused on the China market, where it is quite popular, and still exists in North America (to the extent it does) only because of that.

1 hour ago, jasonj80 said:

TBH Lincoln just sounds dead at this point in the US market and should be shut down. Ford just don't want to have to pay to close the dealerships so they will keep base minimal product and let the dealers just close on their own. 

That’s a shame because the latest models are best in class.  We looked at most other luxury brands and we preferred the Nautilus over all the rest npby a wide margin.  I guess we’ll keep our 22 for a long time.

• Like 1

Sooo this doesn't sound too different from what we all expected right?

Redesigned Navigator coming next year

"Aviator EV" going into production late 2025 so we'll likely see that as well next year, no need for ICE Aviator by then hopefully so makes sense to discontinue

Huge grain of salt but hasn't it been rumored that Lincoln is getting a Mach E size-ish EV? That would  give good reason to discontinue the ICE Corsair. Could be revealed around the time the Corsair leaves.

2024 Nautilus already revealed.

Hopefully Lincoln is working on a halo model as well. That could be on the horizon, and wouldn't be leaked to autonews.

But yes, the investment in Lincoln has been disappointing, and unclear lately.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flying68 said:

Thanks for link.  I can see dropping twin-turbo V6 due to fuel economy requirements, but do not follow why a lower-cost hybrid optimized for fuel economy is not offered. Maybe the premium Lincoln brand requires the standard AWD and added power of EcoBoost, but with 100 kW electric motor assist in hybrid, is that much power really needed at base level?  I suppose Ford think so.  Apparently fuel efficiency and luxury don’t go well together as it once did.  Obviously we will know much more once EPA numbers are released.

45 minutes ago, Rick73 said:

Thanks for link.  I can see dropping twin-turbo V6 due to fuel economy requirements, but do not follow why a lower-cost hybrid optimized for fuel economy is not offered. Maybe the premium Lincoln brand requires the standard AWD and added power of EcoBoost, but with 100 kW electric motor assist in hybrid, is that much power really needed at base level?  I suppose Ford think so.  Apparently fuel efficiency and luxury don’t go well together as it once did.  Obviously we will know much more once EPA numbers are released.

Because your not going to see a huge improvement in numbers that would affect CAFE ratings in doing so. 

If you think derating an engine these days is going to improve MPGs, that isn't going to happen. 

Ford continues to be floating downstream without a paddle when it comes to Lincoln.  Really disappointing.  I felt like Farley was moving things in the right direction a couple years ago, but there have been some really questionable decisions and waffling on product lately.  FoMoCo is not inspiring a lot of confidence these days.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Hasn't been that way for almost 15-20 years? LOL

Actually, there was a several year period, starting with the release of the new Continental, followed by new Navigator, the revised and rebadged Nautilus, the white-space Aviator and the new Corsair, when Lincoln really seemed to be on a roll. Then covid hit, the planned all-new Nautilus was canceled (only to be revived a few years later as a China-exclusive, then revised further as both that and an import for North America) the Rivian flagship EV was canceled, and now Ford announces the cheshiring of the ICE-based Corsair and Aviator along with an announcement that the company is basically getting out of the business of 2-row crossovers. Well, SUVs/crossovers are all Lincoln has. If there's to be no 2-row crossovers then we're looking at just the EV Aviator replacement and the Navigator. There may well be other product in the pipeline we don't know about. If so, this is a replay of Ford's mistake announcing the end of sedans without discussing what new products they had in the works in their stead.

Edited by Gurgeh
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Gurgeh said:

Actually, there was a several year period, starting with the release of the new Continental, followed by new Navigator, the revised and rebadged Nautilus, the white-space Aviator and the new Corsair, when Lincoln really seemed to be on a roll. Then covid hit, the planned all-new Nautilus was canceled (only to be revived a few years later as a China-exclusive, then revised further as both that and an import for North America) the Rivian flagship EV was canceled, and now Ford announces the cheshiring of the ICE-based Corsair and Aviator along with an announcement that the company is basically getting out of the business of 2-row crossovers. Well, SUVs/crossovers are all Lincoln has. If there's to be no 2-row crossovers then we're looking at just the EV Aviator replacement and the Navigator. There may well be other product in the pipeline we don't know about. If so, this is a replay of Ford's mistake announcing the end of sedans without discussing what new products they had in the works in their stead.

This short period is what got me rooting for Lincoln. Was hoping Lincoln could go toe to toe with BMW or Mercedes-Benz one day with a full lineup. Super optimistic kid haha. 

Why is it though that Cadillac is so ahead of Lincoln with EVs? Celestiq, Lyriq, and Escalade IQ which should be available next year. And Lincoln's not getting one until late 2025?

I think we need to remember this is Automotive News, which has a pretty lame record for reporting on future product with accuracy. (Unlike years ago when they had really good scoops and info) Basically what they report as upcoming was all stuff we already read from an Auto Forecast Solutions report from fall 2022. And while it could be accurate, with the amount of change FMC has been going through lately it’s possible it’s changed or wasn’t correct to begin with.

What does sound accurate is the mention that Lincoln’s new president has backed down from previous BEV models and debut timeline, as she gave an interview months back that supports that claim from AN. 

IMG_2550.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, matt6 said:

Why is it though that Cadillac is so ahead of Lincoln with EVs? Celestiq, Lyriq, and Escalade IQ which should be available next year. And Lincoln's not getting one until late 2025?

A combination of Ford changing their plans up several times, they really need to stop doing that, and their Lincoln EVs being more ambitious than Cadillacs in many respects. Most of Cadillacs EVs are just like their ICE models in terms of design and to a lesser degree, tech. It seems like Ford wants to use electrification to make some truly unique products. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DeluxeStang said:

A combination of Ford changing their plans up several times, they really need to stop doing that, and their Lincoln EVs being more ambitious than Cadillacs in many respects. Most of Cadillacs EVs are just like their ICE models in terms of design and to a lesser degree, tech. It seems like Ford wants to use electrification to make some truly unique products. 

And the Rivian debacle.

7 hours ago, Gurgeh said:

I seen a report on Autoforecast Solutions that there was only and Aviator EV GT and no ICE Aviator after 2025 I thought it was a typo months ago. They better have more products in the pipeline cause Lincoln is thin on products. I hope this corporation knows what they’re doing, all this plan changing is annoying to me. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spudz64 said:

I think we need to remember this is Automotive News, which has a pretty lame record for reporting on future product with accuracy. (Unlike years ago when they had really good scoops and info) Basically what they report as upcoming was all stuff we already read from an Auto Forecast Solutions report from fall 2022. And while it could be accurate, with the amount of change FMC has been going through lately it’s possible it’s changed or wasn’t correct to begin with.

What does sound accurate is the mention that Lincoln’s new president has backed down from previous BEV models and debut timeline, as she gave an interview months back that supports that claim from AN. 

IMG_2550.jpeg

Ooops didn’t see that this was posted! This was what I seen months ago in regards to Aviator GT.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spudz64 said:

IMG_2550.jpeg

It’s somewhat accurate but the Edge for example has been extended to the 2nd quarter of 2024. They may as well build the Edge til July 2024 at the rate they’re going because they’re EV plan seems to be lacking