New Leader Shifts Lincoln's EV Plans - Lincoln is Expected to Discontinue Gasoline Versions of the Corsair and Aviator, While Its First EV, a Three-Row Crossover, is Expected in Late 2025

silvrsvt

Here's an article from Ford Authority reporting on the 2024 Nautilus' official launch in China (where Job 1 is just a couple of weeks away). It gets into some of the points I made in my earlier post. That is, Lincoln is increasingly a make focused on the Chinese domestic market, where most Lincoln's now get sold. There, Lincoln has vehicles not found in North America (the Zepher), and a number of configurations not seen here (such as rear seat executive packages and the Centennial SVP line-up). In China, Lincoln is considered a youth-oriented brand. Unlike the Ford brand, which is languishing, the Lincoln brand has experienced rapid growth.

https://fordauthority.com/2023/08/lincoln-nautilus-hybrid-officially-launches-in-china/

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Gurgeh said:

Here's an article from Ford Authority reporting on the 2024 Nautilus' official launch in China (where Job 1 is just a couple of weeks away). It gets into some of the points I made in my earlier post. That is, Lincoln is increasingly a make focused on the Chinese domestic market, where most Lincoln's now get sold. There, Lincoln has vehicles not found in North America (the Zepher), and a number of configurations not seen here (such as rear seat executive packages and the Centennial SVP line-up). In China, Lincoln is considered a youth-oriented brand. Unlike the Ford brand, which is languishing, the Lincoln brand has experienced rapid growth.

https://fordauthority.com/2023/08/lincoln-nautilus-hybrid-officially-launches-in-china/

It is also thought of as a much more premium brand than here, it is thought of higher in the market than Lexus, Audi, and Cadillac. 

Though if Lincoln had the lineup it has in China here with the interior and features it probably would be thought of higher here. That being said the average household income of a Navigator is considerably higher than an Escalade. 

What's sad is people on this message board could run Lincoln better than the people actually running it. It gets moments at Ford then falls to irreverence. There is no reason that the Corsair shouldn't have had the regular hybrid powertrain from the Escape and the Aviator shouldn't have had the regular hybrid powertrain from the Explorer. They could have imported the Zephyr to keep a sedan in the Lincoln lineup. 

• Like 7

13 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

larger vehicles won't see a marked improvement in MPGs, the F-150 sees a slight bump in city MPG and the Explorer HEV sees a nice boost in city mileage but not sure if that is translating into actual real world use going by reports.

F-150 is not a typical hybrid I would use for comparison when discussing fuel-economy improvement potential.  Being a truck that must have significant towing capabilities makes it unusual more than the higher weight itself.

A Nautilus is closer in size and weight to a Toyota Sienna which achieves 36 MPG city and highway.  That’s pretty good for a 7 or 8 passenger vehicle.  Granted, it only has 245 net hybrid system HP, which may not be enough for a luxury brand/vehicle.  It would be for me, but I’m not a typical buyer nor am I interested in any Lincoln at this time.

Like I said, we will know much more when EPA ratings are released.  If in range of 36 MPG City/Highway/Combined like Toyota Sienna but with greater power of a 2.0L EcoBoost, that would be quite an achievement.  However, I would not hold my breath if expecting great fuel economy unless Ford uses the Atkinson 2.5L hybrid.  Just an opinion.

Lincoln’s problem is it’s always been on a shoestring budget.  The LS was held back by Jaguar.  The rebadged MKX and MKZ were terrible as was the MKT.  The MKS was the first step in the right direction.  They let Navigator languish too long.

They finally went all in on Aviator but ended up on a bespoke platform.  Continental was good but hampered by cd4 platform and bland styling.

I wonder where they would be now if they had done a cd6 Nautilus, Continental and Zephyr to go with Aviator with a full range of powertrains.

• Like 10

22 minutes ago, Rick73 said:

F-150 is not a typical hybrid I would use for comparison when discussing fuel-economy improvement potential.  Being a truck that must have significant towing capabilities makes it unusual more than the higher weight itself.

The difference is actually huge though in the gas that is saved. I get 26 mpg on my City/Highway commute with my hybrid F-150 and can get higher if I baby it or traffic conditions are just right, but normally I get around 23/24 (I drive 80 on the highway which kills it, but if you drive under that on Metro Detroit roads you might get killed)  I got 13 with my 6.2L  Raptor and 18 with the loaner I had with the V8. 

I don't drive as much as I used too - maybe 20K a year but

20,000/13= 1538x$4.00 = $6153

20,000/18 =1111x$4.00 =$4444

20000/23 =870x$4.00=$3478

The savings on big vehicles is actually much more than on small vehicles 

Going from a gas Maverick that gets 29 mpg to the hybrid at 39 mpg actually yields a smaller cost savings. 

20000/29 = 689x$4.00 = $2758

20000/39 = 512x$4.00 = $2051

On 8/30/2023 at 9:17 AM, rperez817 said:

Sadly, the only amazing thing about Lincoln since then is how dramatically it went from one of the top luxury car brands to irrelevance. ☹️

They basically invented the Full Size luxury segment with the Navigator then gave it away to Cadillac. Cadillac didn't have an answer when it launched in 1997 then did a rush job to get the 99 Escalade out which was just a Yukon and a few badges. 

They tried to make the first gen Aviator different but focused on underpinnings to make it different rather than what the customer saw in style. 

There was actually a smaller Lincoln SUV based on the first Escape as well that would have come out in 2003 along with a smaller sedan. 

Some hate Nasser, but he was the last CEO that saw potential in Lincoln. That's why he wanted it in California to escape the BS that was Dearborn. 

Edited by jasonj80
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, akirby said:

Lincoln’s problem is it’s always been on a shoestring budget.  The LS was held back by Jaguar.  The rebadged MKX and MKZ were terrible as was the MKT.  The MKS was the first step in the right direction.  They let Navigator languish too long.

They finally went all in on Aviator but ended up on a bespoke platform.  Continental was good but hampered by cd4 platform and bland styling.

I wonder where they would be now if they had done a cd6 Nautilus, Continental and Zephyr to go with Aviator with a full range of powertrains.

Agreed. While Lincoln was so successful decades ago, it's been that long since it had a budget for suitable product development and support. The whole "MK" naming convention was an idiotic attempt to emulate practices of the competitors it wanted to emulate but resulted in mass confusion with most being unable to correctly identify the "MK" models. It's been decades since there was a Lincoln "Wow" factor with models that were instantly identifiable as a Lincoln with new models having bland, homogenized styling. Lincoln would introduce a new design theme to be dropped a few years later and replaced by a new theme that was no better or even worse.

Lack of suitable budgets for product development and support, inconsistent Lincoln management, lack of commitment, etc. Unfortunately, the list goes on and on.   

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, ExplorerDude said:

Lincoln’s Product Plans have changed so many times in the last 24 months. There were so many plans that were canceled and shelved, some because of resources and COVID. Chiefly, the most concrete ones were the Rivian based SUV and the Corsair coupe. I feel for the teams that put so much work into these products just to have them shelved, it’s demoralizing.

These are absolutely confirmed:

2024MY Nautilus, all-new

2024MY Aviator, refresh

2025MY Navigator/L, all-new mostly

2026MY 7-Seater BEV SUV from Oakville

2027MY Compact BEV SUV

There are rumors of other BEVs that aren’t SUVs or CUVs……

Corsair Coupe?? Tell me more..

"There are rumors of other BEVs that aren’t SUVs or CUVs……"

I've been banking on this to bring some excitement to Lincoln, and fill in a gap or two in it's line-up. Here's to hoping. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Sigh, this post made me realize maybe I need to drop my emotional attachment to this brand.

• Sad 3

14 hours ago, ExplorerDude said:

Lincoln’s Product Plans have changed so many times in the last 24 months. There were so many plans that were canceled and shelved, some because of resources and COVID. Chiefly, the most concrete ones were the Rivian based SUV and the Corsair coupe. I feel for the teams that put so much work into these products just to have them shelved, it’s demoralizing.

These are absolutely confirmed:

2024MY Nautilus, all-new

2024MY Aviator, refresh

2025MY Navigator/L, all-new mostly

2026MY 7-Seater BEV SUV from Oakville

2027MY Compact BEV SUV

There are rumors of other BEVs that aren’t SUVs or CUVs……

Hmm, I'm curious what else was less concrete.

14 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Part of it is that the Mustang and how its perceived makes it much easier to sell a super car like the GTD to the public.

What does Lincoln really have that will resonate with people that it can sell a 300K car? The Caddy Cequistic or whatever its called is pretty horrible from a styling stand point on the outside IMO

I can maybe see a 150K Lincoln one day, but it has to be really good. 

I think Lincoln can do it, but it has to be a full-effort model.  It can't just be a half measure.

5 hours ago, Gurgeh said:

See, but that to me is a double-edge sword.

Sure you' can say "oh Lincoln doesn't sell all that great in the US, so we won't give it all the features we'll give the Chinese models to save money."   But on the other side then, wouldn't those extra features - and perhaps more importantly more consistent and thorough refreshes (not a nip and tuck to the grille shape) - actually result in more sales?

• Like 4

I can’t believe how Ford held up and then butchered a RWD plan for its medium large cars and utilities.

Aussie Falcon Fairlane and Territory showed what could be done on a shoestring but Ford NA knew better….

The moment was in 2008, Mulally said no, so Ford  let it pass and then Fields made an absolute hash of it.

Edited by jpd80

4 hours ago, jpd80 said:

I can’t believe how Ford held up and then butchered a RWD plan for its medium large cars and utilities.

Aussie Falcon Fairlane and Territory showed what could be done on a shoestring but Ford NA knew better….

The moment was in 2008, Mulally said no, so Ford  let it pass and then Fields made an absolute hash of it.

...and when Ford decides to go RWD-based... its days are numbered. lol The ICE Explorer will live longer than the Aviator, right?

The problem now is the rush shift to EVs. The EV charging infrastructure, battery production (sourcing of materials), and battery recycling can barely keep up with the growth of EVs and they still only make up a fraction of North American vehicle sales. 

Some things to think about.... 
"The additional environmental cost of transporting these batteries results in a higher carbon footprint than ICE vehicles. A 2021 study comparing EV and ICE emissions found that 46% of EV carbon emissions come from the production process while for an ICE vehicle, they ‘only’ account for 26%. Almost 4 tonnes of CO2 are released during the production process of a single electric car and, in order to break even, the vehicle must be used for at least 8 years to offset the initial emissions by 0.5 tonnes of prevented emissions annually."
-
The Environmental Impact of Battery Production for Electric Vehicles | Earth.Org 

Edited by AM222
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AM222 said:

Some things to think about.... 
"The additional environmental cost of transporting these batteries results in a higher carbon footprint than ICE vehicles. A 2021 study comparing EV and ICE emissions found that 46% of EV carbon emissions come from the production process while for an ICE vehicle, they ‘only’ account for 26%. Almost 4 tonnes of CO2 are released during the production process of a single electric car and, in order to break even, the vehicle must be used for at least 8 years to offset the initial emissions by 0.5 tonnes of prevented emissions annually."
-
The Environmental Impact of Battery Production for Electric Vehicles | Earth.Org 

The thing is that to keep doing what we are doing (ie ICE production) isn't going to fix anything either. Cherry picking certain facts to paint EVs in a bad light isn't solving anything either. 

Its like saying recycling efforts are crap when there isn't enough materials on the market to recycle-the end result is that things should get better as more products are added to the market. 

• Like 1

On 8/28/2023 at 5:05 PM, Willwll313wll said:

Sooo this doesn't sound too different from what we all expected right?

Redesigned Navigator coming next year

"Aviator EV" going into production late 2025 so we'll likely see that as well next year, no need for ICE Aviator by then hopefully so makes sense to discontinue

Huge grain of salt but hasn't it been rumored that Lincoln is getting a Mach E size-ish EV? That would  give good reason to discontinue the ICE Corsair. Could be revealed around the time the Corsair leaves.

2024 Nautilus already revealed.

Hopefully Lincoln is working on a halo model as well. That could be on the horizon, and wouldn't be leaked to autonews.

But yes, the investment in Lincoln has been disappointing, and unclear lately.

well a bit different but all have change a lot lately.

I read at GMI that the delay is related to the same global battery safety standards that are now delaying the MEB Explorer in Europe.
AN is reporting that the Aviator is going out of production by early 2026 so the 3-Row EV should be the replacement.

Corsair is going out of production in 2025 and according to Borg, it is scheduled to be replaced by a Chinese-made Lincoln EV based on the GE1 Mach E.

Also, I find incredible that he says that this Lincoln EV was suppose to arrive end of 2024 alongside the 3-Row EV in early 2025. All the timeline is off now 

29 minutes ago, joseodiaga4 said:

well a bit different but all have change a lot lately.

I read at GMI that the delay is related to the same global battery safety standards that are now delaying the MEB Explorer in Europe.
AN is reporting that the Aviator is going out of production by early 2026 so the 3-Row EV should be the replacement.

Corsair is going out of production in 2025 and according to Borg, it is scheduled to be replaced by a Chinese-made Lincoln EV based on the GE1 Mach E.

Also, I find incredible that he says that this Lincoln EV was suppose to arrive end of 2024 alongside the 3-Row EV in early 2025. All the timeline is off now 

You won't see new Oakville Products till very late 2024 or Spring 2025, so that would make then 2026MY products. That is the three Row EV that apparently was having issues in styling clinics for the Ford version. Oakville won't be shut down till next June/July. 

I seriously doubt that the Corsair EV replacement is going to come from China when it can be built in LAP with whatever replaces the Escape, if it gets replaced. I'd expect more info to come after the UAW settlement in a month or so, if it doesn't go sideways. I'd also expect Ford to decouple where ever it can from exporting from China....they are going through some serious issues in China and most western industries are reshoring to NA/Mexico or other more friendly countries after COVID. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

You won't see new Oakville Products till very late 2024 or Spring 2025, so that would make then 2026MY products. That is the three Row EV that apparently was having issues in styling clinics for the Ford version. Oakville won't be shut down till next June/July. 

I seriously doubt that the Corsair EV replacement is going to come from China when it can be built in LAP with whatever replaces the Escape, if it gets replaced. I'd expect more info to come after the UAW settlement in a month or so, if it doesn't go sideways. I'd also expect Ford to decouple where ever it can from exporting from China....they are going through some serious issues in China and most western industries are reshoring to NA/Mexico or other more friendly countries after COVID. 

I’ve been saying this for awhile. We have been told second quarter 2024. First it was January, then March now I’m hearing May 2024. I’ve been predicted nothing rolls out of OAC til early to mid 2025 at the earliest. I can see shorter shifts coming when nautilus is gone. What do you mean issues in styling clinics?? Maybe it’s ugly and they had to change the styling lol.

4 hours ago, Oacjay98 said:

I’ve been saying this for awhile. We have been told second quarter 2024. First it was January, then March now I’m hearing May 2024. I’ve been predicted nothing rolls out of OAC til early to mid 2025 at the earliest. I can see shorter shifts coming when nautilus is gone. What do you mean issues in styling clinics?? Maybe it’s ugly and they had to change the styling lol.

Maybe it just not what people wanted in the focus study…..

Ford is pushing sleek aero to get battery range improvements but maybe the Focus group was wanting a boxy three row utility?

This wouldn’t be the first time that Ford ignored their buyers and gave them something else….

Edited by jpd80
Typo thanks to autotext
  • Like 1

On 8/29/2023 at 10:19 PM, Captainp4 said:

Has Lincoln really done anything amazing since the 60s continental? Mark viii or whatever was pretty cool, LS was cool, navigator was cool..... The new continental was REALLY close, especially the "coach door" one, but just didn't have whatever "it" is. I feel like my entire life (at least since I started following automotive news in HS) Lincoln had some really cool concept or plan that was just around the corner and never came because -insert some economic or social disaster-. If the Ford family is so against killing the brand why don't they fight harder to make it relevant?

-owner of 64 Continental and 2017 MKC

I just wrote up a huge novel to reply to you on this and of course the site crashed (because too many people were on?) and I lost it.  Hopefully I can remember what I said and it goes through this time....

I would argue past the 60s Continental the Mark V would have been one of the best Lincolns made.  It was an answer to everyone else downsizing and it sold in really good numbers in fact almost double of the Eldorado it's main competitor.  They really got it right with that one it was bold and in your face, a lot of Lincoln enthusiasts I believe think the Mark V is the pinnacle of the Mark series outside of the II.  The VI which came after was a dud and not received well at all since it was downsized so much but the VII was such a dramatic departure of the same old formula it was another hit and really what Lincoln needed in the 80s.  The VIII was even more dramatic and pushed the envelope with the InTech V8 but sadly the personal luxury coupe segment was dying so it was almost like it didn't matter.  I attached the picture comparing the sales of the Mark V and Eldorado.

The LS was a fine example of Lincoln getting another kick in the butt to be competitive but the PAG/Jaguar hated it and did everything they could to make sure it was gone.  It was supposed to get a supercharged version called the LSE but that ended up being just an appearance package with a stiffer suspension due to Jaguar exes being pissed off.  Imagine if Ford didn't listen to them and kept building upon the LS, imagine where it would be today?

There's a theme here and it's consistency something Lincoln has been severely lacking.

Other models worth talking about:

Town car - It was perfect in the 80s and 90s till the 98 redesign which was lazy.  I honestly think Ford underestimated how powerful that nameplate was.  What they SHOULD have done was keep the lower end trim with the SOHC V8 for all the retirees who are afraid of tech and the livery market but make a higher end trim above Signature with the 32 Valve DOHC V8 and offer more modern tech to make it competitive with the likes of the Lexus LS.  I find it ridiculous that the 98-02 models only have single zone climate where a lower end Buick of the same era could have dual zone climate for instance.  Just a lazy job done IMO.

Navigator - It started that class, it was on top for the first gen.  2nd gen, while I love the styling of it, fell short by not offering more power and a LWB option which Cadillac did and in turn caught them with their pants down essentially and stole the market from them and never looked back.  3rd gen was hideous.  Imagine if for the 3rd gen didn't style it like a fat pig and put a competent V8 in it maybe things would have played out differently?  It didn't help the 3rd gen went on way too long.  The current Navigator is probably top of its class in terms of interior features and refinement but the previous gen did some damage to the image of the Navigator.

MKZ -  Early MKZs were nothing to write home about they were just a rebadge... but seems like it finally got it's groove with the 2013 and up model.  2017 really got it going with the 3.0T AWD.  Sadly the CUV craze killed it.  Imagine if they were able to pull the Aviator's Plug In Hybrid powertrain into it and the Continental.  It might have been enough to keep them relevant. 

Again... consistency.

This is my 2 cent rant take it for what it's worth.  But like someone else said in this thread it seems like anyone on this forum could run the brand better than the current people.  I love the Lincoln brand I own 2 now which makes 4 total.  I grew up with an 88 Town Car Signature my dad owned it left an impression on me, all of his work buddies drove one too.  I would hate to see the brand go away.  I really hope they have a long term plan in place to turn it around but more importantly I hope they get serious about it.  It's a brand with a long rich history and deserves so much better and could do better.  You know not too long ago it briefly was the best selling Luxury brand in the US in 1998 and it outsold Cadillac in 2000 as well.  While it would take a miracle to get it anywhere near numbers like that again I bet there are a ton things they could do short term to turn it around and stop losing sales. 

image.png

• Like 2

On 8/31/2023 at 8:35 PM, silvrsvt said:

The thing is that to keep doing what we are doing (ie ICE production) isn't going to fix anything either. Cherry picking certain facts to paint EVs in a bad light isn't solving anything either. 

Its like saying recycling efforts are crap when there isn't enough materials on the market to recycle-the end result is that things should get better as more products are added to the market. 

Like moving carbon emissions behind the curtains in a very expensive manner. 

Assuming they sort out all the additional transportation-related carbon emissions, they still have a charging infrastructure issue and battery packs are still expensive.
Early adopters obviously either have access to public chargers or live in a house with a home charger. In reality, there are many people who live in apartments in areas that still don't have a proper charging infrastructure. 

Though, between Ford and Lincoln, I think it makes more sense for the luxury brand to go all out on BEVs first. 

Edited by AM222

16 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Ford is pushing sleek aero to get battery range improvements but maybe the Focus group was wanting a boxy three row utility?

This wouldn’t be the first time that Ford ignored their buyers and gave them something else….

The 7-passenger Ford BEV is just not attractive, at least not to me. It will bring in those Tesla Model X and Model Y buyers who like that look.

The worst part is that when this was going to be built at the Mach-E plant in Mexico it was boxy and it was definitely going to be an Explorer. Then the move to OAP included a complete design shift (and not for the better). The product development code name changed as well.

35 minutes ago, ExplorerDude said:

The 7-passenger Ford BEV is just not attractive, at least not to me. It will bring in those Tesla Model X and Model Y buyers who like that look.

The worst part is that when this was going to be built at the Mach-E plant in Mexico it was boxy and it was definitely going to be an Explorer. Then the move to OAP included a complete design shift (and not for the better). The product development code name changed as well.

So it was supposed to look something like a jumbo version of the EU Explorer EV?
ford-explorer-elettrica-2023.jpg
...and now it's a generic aero blob? At least the Mach E has an aerodynamic shape with some character.

I'm impressed that Kia's boxy EV9 3-row BEV SUV (about the size of the ICE Explorer) has a drag coefficient of 0.28 considering its shape and size. I read that the Mach E has the same 0.28 drag coefficient figure considering its sleeker shape. 
2024-kia-ev9.jpg
If you can make a brick this aerodynamic, there's a lot of possibilities between this and an aero blob. Lol

Edited by AM222

32 minutes ago, AM222 said:

Though, between Ford and Lincoln, I think it makes more sense for the luxury brand to go all out on BEVs first. 

Definitely AM222. If Lincoln is to survive in the U.S. market at the end of this decade, it must transition to a 100% BEV product lineup by then. Fortunately, the current Lincoln brand theme of "Quiet Flight" is perfectly suited for that transition.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jpd80 said:

I just hope they get it right, whatever it takes. Battery improvements styling and whatever other refinements they need to make. Now the latest I heard is that the edge is now being pushed to June 14 2024 lol. This info was told to a co worker from a vendor. Rumors rumors rumors. Good thing it’s contract time so after the smoke clears we will get more solid information.

On 8/31/2023 at 4:26 PM, silvrsvt said:

I seriously doubt that the Corsair EV replacement is going to come from China when it can be built in LAP with whatever replaces the Escape, if it gets replaced. I'd expect more info to come after the UAW settlement in a month or so, if it doesn't go sideways. I'd also expect Ford to decouple wherever it can from exporting from China....they are going through some serious issues in China and most Western industries are reshoring to NA/Mexico or other more friendly countries after COVID. 

But the problem is that we are 3 years apart with not a lot of new products until the EVs.

11 hours ago, ExplorerDude said:

IMO they could have done both, just as the Escape and BS. Having both options would have been nice

I mean, if they are just going to stay on certain segments, they kinda need a couple of Options en each one. 

11 hours ago, AM222 said:

So it was supposed to look something like a jumbo version of the EU Explorer EV?
ford-explorer-elettrica-2023.jpg
...and now it's a generic aero blob? At least the Mach E has an aerodynamic shape with some character.

I'm impressed that Kia's boxy EV9 3-row BEV SUV (about the size of the ICE Explorer) has a drag coefficient of 0.28 considering its shape and size. I read that the Mach E has the same 0.28 drag coefficient figure considering its sleeker shape. 
2024-kia-ev9.jpg
If you can make a brick this aerodynamic, there are a lot of possibilities between this and an aero blob. Lol

Yeah, the Kia EV9 is quite impressive, Ford should copy the Koreans that seems to have figure it all out. They show the EV9 not long ago and they just presented the EV5. Their product development speed is 100x times better that Ford’s

Edited by joseodiaga4
  • Like 1