Ford August 2023 Sales Results

37 minutes ago, akirby said:

Tell me again how Mach-es aren’t selling?

Bronco Sport, Maverick way up.

What happened to Aviator?  Was that the rear view camera recall/stop sale?i

Up for the month but down 10% for the year overall.

Aviator and Explorer I believe both have a stop sale due to the cameras I think it affects the 360 camera as well as the rear view but might be wrong on that.

Ford moved a bunch of Mach Es in August, but it looks like sales are still trailing the production increase as there is a 4 month supply at the current rate.  Let’s see if the sales continue to improve.  What happened to lightning sales?  Plant down for retooling?

Ford also disclosed a $270M charge for Explorer/Aviator cameras, so maybe they have a solution worked out and we’ll start to see Aviator and Explorer sales pick up.

7 hours ago, akirby said:

Tell me again how Mach-es aren’t selling?

Bronco Sport, Maverick way up.

What happened to Aviator?  Was that the rear view camera recall/stop sale?i

Yes, bothe ere impacted because of stop sale, so lucky to get 8,000 out the door.

7 hours ago, slemke said:

Ford moved a bunch of Mach Es in August, but it looks like sales are still trailing the production increase as there is a 4 month supply at the current rate.  Let’s see if the sales continue to improve.  What happened to lightning sales?  Plant down for retooling?

The Mach-e dealer stock appears to be mostly std range models.  The extended range models seem to be selling well now.  Wrong production mix and/or dealers ordering the cheaper versions which customers don’t seem to want.

And yes Lightning production was down for retooling to boost production capacity.

2 hours ago, akirby said:

The Mach-e dealer stock appears to be mostly std range models.  The extended range models seem to be selling well now.  Wrong production mix and/or dealers ordering the cheaper versions which customers don’t seem to want.

The extended range option on the Mach-E has always been a controlled commodity and part of the monthly wholesale agreement. As such, Dealers accepting allocation for Mach-E are limited to the commodity restrictions in place for that wholesale's scheduling period. 

52 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

The extended range option on the Mach-E has always been a controlled commodity and part of the monthly wholesale agreement. As such, Dealers accepting allocation for Mach-E are limited to the commodity restrictions in place for that wholesale's scheduling period. 

That’s what I thought.  Ford needs to fix that.

So the Escape outsells all of Lincoln combined.  But let's shit can the Escape.  ?

Not to mention it outsells the Explorer and Expidition...

Yeah, I'm a bit miffed.  Traded my 2013 Escape Titanium off a week ago to get a 2020 Escape Titanium.  Get them while they last!

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, 92merc said:

So the Escape outsells all of Lincoln combined.  But let's shit can the Escape.  ?

Yeah, I'm a bit miffed.  Traded my 2013 Escape Titanium off a week ago to get a 2020 Escape Titanium.  Get them while they last!

All the Escape is doing is changing...there will be some sort of small CUV that replaces it. 

57 minutes ago, 92merc said:

What is 1,000,000 x $0?  Volume doesn’t mean profit.

1 hour ago, 92merc said:

If the escape was just gonna die period, I would agree with you. But it's basically guaranteed by this point that the escape name and vehicle type will live on as a BEV. It should be a better vehicle overall than the current escape, better looking, better performing, better tech, all at a similar price. That's my guess at least. 

Ford is saving billions of dollars long term with these next gen platforms, making a cheaper EV more feasible. It's not a stretch to assume Ford's cheap EV offering will be the escape. 

21 hours ago, Andrew L said:

Up for the month but down 10% for the year overall.

Aviator and Explorer I believe both have a stop sale due to the cameras I think it affects the 360 camera as well as the rear view but might be wrong on that.

August, at least here ...had a $3000 rebate WITH 1.9 financing on Mach -E's....theres the reason behind the slight bump....still down YTD though...

6 hours ago, Bellanca said:

Heads should be rolling over the Aviator/Explorer camera issues. All three of mine have had issues—no blue screen of death but not uncommon for the screen to get all jumbled while reversing. I’m assuming the Aviator sales are only those without the 360 camera. 

I am confused as to why this has gone on for as long as it has and why they are having such a hard time with it.  I imagine the supplier is to blame, maybe Ford should really look into someone else but they really need to light a fire under them to get this fixed the stop sale has been going on for I think 2 months now? maybe longer.

Camera issues have been popping up on Ford products for a while now too.  My 2013 MKZ had the camera go out completely on me when I was backing into my driveway, first the image of my garage door froze on it and was stuck like that for several days.  I would be leaving work and backing out of my spot and see my garage door.  I made an appointment and just before the appointment I started getting a solid blue screen when I would put it in reverse.  Thankfully it was covered under warranty but in the MKZ group on facebook lots of people have complained about the camera going out on them.  *knock on wood* it hasn't happened on my 2017 Black Lable... yet.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Agreed, but where's the proof that Lincoln is profitable?  Platform sharing is one thing, but consider all the bespoke tooling for exterior panels, interior components (seats, dash, door panels), unique powertrain offerings, at these volumes?  It's tough to imagine they make the profit some would like to believe they do.

HRG

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Andrew L said:

I am confused as to why this has gone on for as long as it has and why they are having such a hard time with it.  I imagine the supplier is to blame, maybe Ford should really look into someone else but they really need to light a fire under them to get this fixed the stop sale has been going on for I think 2 months now? maybe longer.

Camera issues have been popping up on Ford products for a while now too.  My 2013 MKZ had the camera go out completely on me when I was backing into my driveway, first the image of my garage door froze on it and was stuck like that for several days.  I would be leaving work and backing out of my spot and see my garage door.  I made an appointment and just before the appointment I started getting a solid blue screen when I would put it in reverse.  Thankfully it was covered under warranty but in the MKZ group on facebook lots of people have complained about the camera going out on them.  *knock on wood* it hasn't happened on my 2017 Black Lable... yet.

It’s embarrassing to say the least. Don’t get me wrong I love my Aviator but when your $80k car has issues that should be an easy fix it does become a bit aggravating. And I’m honestly doubting the fix they have for it will resolve it. To me it seems it’s something with the wiring, like something is shorting out and causing the distortion. 

2 hours ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Agreed, but where's the proof that Lincoln is profitable?  Platform sharing is one thing, but consider all the bespoke tooling for exterior panels, interior components (seats, dash, door panels), unique powertrain offerings, at these volumes?  It's tough to imagine they make the profit some would like to believe they do.

HRG

Not hard to imagine given the pricing.  A black label Nautilus is almost $70K and they normally don’t have big rebates.  They’re not in a price war and they’re not buying volume with super low prices.

30 minutes ago, Bellanca said:

It’s embarrassing to say the least. Don’t get me wrong I love my Aviator but when your $80k car has issues that should be an easy fix it does become a bit aggravating. And I’m honestly doubting the fix they have for it will resolve it. To me it seems it’s something with the wiring, like something is shorting out and causing the distortion. 

Explorer/Aviator has two strikes against them - Chicago Assembly and Ford’s terrible supplier relationships.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, akirby said:

So you really believe they make no profit on Escapes?   It would sincerely be embarrassing if Ford could not. There is no way every manufacturer is losing money on this class of vehicle, especially when most of those manufacturers don’t have full size vehicle, ie. Full-size trucks and SUVs, to cover the cost of those losses.  

12 hours ago, Andrew L said:

Happened to my Flex as well. Whole camera needed to be replaced which took 3 weeks because the part was on backorder 

• Like 1