2024 Ford Edge Production Will End In Late April

Shrinking garage size is a trend the domestic pickup makers are missing- In new construction townhouses have been trending over single family for years, and condo garages are smaller- Thus the market for full size pickups and related BOF SUVs is shrinking while higher prices are pusher buyers to longer loans and ownership cycles. For the domestic pickup makers that have been comfortably lounging in their "chicken tax" created fortress, the market is shrinking while they have factories and UAW workers to keep busy.

It gets worse- Drive through any older suburb at 3am and the driveways in front of the two car attached garages are full and parts of the streets too as multi generation families have turned those double garages into bedrooms. If on street parking is banned driveway space is at a premium and buying an Edge instead of Explorer can mean one more car can fit in the driveway, and at "shift change" less family members will have to sit in a car on the street waiting for a driveway parking space.

The world and even America is changing. The Japanese and Korean makers get it, Ford not so much...  

17 minutes ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

Shrinking garage size is a trend the domestic pickup makers are missing- In new construction townhouses have been trending over single family for years, and condo garages are smaller- Thus the market for full size pickups and related BOF SUVs is shrinking while higher prices are pusher buyers to longer loans and ownership cycles. For the domestic pickup makers that have been comfortably lounging in their "chicken tax" created fortress, the market is shrinking while they have factories and UAW workers to keep busy.

It gets worse- Drive through any older suburb at 3am and the driveways in front of the two car attached garages are full and parts of the streets too as multi generation families have turned those double garages into bedrooms. If on street parking is banned driveway space is at a premium and buying an Edge instead of Explorer can mean one more car can fit in the driveway, and at "shift change" less family members will have to sit in a car on the street waiting for a driveway parking space.

The world and even America is changing. The Japanese and Korean makers get it, Ford not so much...  

Nice way to completely Conflate facts and options. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I really don't see the point of a vehicle like this - from Porsche or Ford.

Inspired by Rally racing which is huge in Europe and other parts of the world.  And apparently it has the off road performance to go with the looks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

LOL, please tell me what extra car will fit in the 9.5 inches gained by the Edge over the Explorer.

32 minutes ago, tzach said:

LOL, please tell me what extra car will fit in the 9.5 inches gained by the Edge over the Explorer.

Funny you ask. 2 Edges fit much better than 2 Explorers, on my 33' (396") long driveway, without overhanging the sidewalk, hitting the door, or each other.

HRG

Driveway.JPG

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Inspired by Rally racing which is huge in Europe and other parts of the world.  And apparently it has the off road performance to go with the looks.

I'm just not sure if I see it selling here.....and certainly not in any numbers that would light the world on fire.

I wonder if he's hinting at *stirs pot* a Mustang sedan........:stirpot:

18 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

No

If the rumor I heard about that mystery product is true it’s going to make a few people around here happy. 

If whatever it is is mustang based, likely as it's planned for flat rock, the mustangs 60th anniversary would be an excellent time to reveal it. I used to want a mid-engine mustang, but I realize those dreams are kinda dead now with the GTD. 

I'm guessing mustang hybrid or that lifted raptor thing. Who knows, if Ford wants to get really crazy, they could combine the mustang hybrid and raptor into one product, a slightly lifted AWD mustang for colder climates with electric motors powering the front wheels, enhancing performance and all weather capability in one go. 

7 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

If whatever it is is mustang based, likely as it's planned for flat rock, the mustangs 60th anniversary would be an excellent time to reveal it. I used to want a mid-engine mustang, but I realize those dreams are kinda dead now with the GTD. 

I'm guessing mustang hybrid or that lifted raptor thing. Who knows, if Ford wants to get really crazy, they could combine the mustang hybrid and raptor into one product, a slightly lifted AWD mustang for colder climates with electric motors powering the front wheels, enhancing performance and all weather capability in one go. 

While a sedan would be nice, I don't see it happening-the Raptor Mustang or hybrid Mustang would be the most likely thing to happen.

18 minutes ago, Joe771476 said:

Stop building EV's!  They're all done!

image.jpeg.9f7fb4562ea666a7711cc0f1a19c4c5a.jpeg

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

While a sedan would be nice, I don't see it happening-the Raptor Mustang or hybrid Mustang would be the most likely thing to happen.

image.jpeg.9f7fb4562ea666a7711cc0f1a19c4c5a.jpeg

The implication from the contract was that it was an all-new product.  An AWD or hybrid Mustang would be considered, I feel, an AWD extension of the Mustang line.

Considering the plant is being run at about one-third capacity, I was guessing it would be a Ford product brought here from another part of the world.

Some ideas:

Evos

Taurus sedan

Edge

Nautilus

I think the question is how much is Ford willing to spend at Flat Rock.  Over the past several years the had two multi-billion dollar investments- and a new paint shop- cancelled by Hackett the Hatchet

Edited by Footballfan

15 minutes ago, Footballfan said:

The implication from the contract was that it was an all-new product.  An AWD or hybrid Mustang would be considered, I feel, an AWD extension of the Mustang line.

Considering the plant is being run at about one-third capacity, I was guessing it would be a Ford product brought here from another part of the world.

Some ideas:

Evos

Taurus sedan

Edge

Nautilus

I think the question is how much is Ford willing to spend at Flat Rock.  Over the past several years the had two multi-billion dollar investments- and a new paint shop- cancelled by Hackett the Hatchet

I don't believe something as tall as an edge or Nautilus could be build at Flat Rock. But as you mentioned, if it was something s650 based, it is odd how they're referring to it as this new product, rather than calling it a derivative of the s650 like they have when referring to additional mustang models in the past. 

24 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

I don't believe something as tall as an edge or Nautilus could be build at Flat Rock. But as you mentioned, if it was something s650 based, it is odd how they're referring to it as this new product, rather than calling it a derivative of the s650 like they have when referring to additional mustang models in the past. 

That's true for some of the vehicles.  The Taurus and perhaps the Evos would fit, but anything else would require a new or heavily modified paint shop. 

What about the Puma? It would fit since it small but who knows if it would be profitable. 

Or something like the Evos that could be the mythical Suburu fighter-a small lift with some cladding on it would fit in the plant and the paint shop. 

• Like 1

While this might also be suited for the competing vehicles forum, it is relevant to this discussion on the end of Edge production and the conversation of the factory over to building the new Ford and Lincoln 3-row EVs. Seems Toyota is also looking to compete in this space with a new EV plant in Kentucky to churn out 3-row EVs, to be released at the same time as the new Ford/Lincoln products. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/02/06/toyota-to-invest-1point3-billion-for-large-all-electric-suv-in-kentucky.html

Edited by Gurgeh

16 hours ago, Gurgeh said:

While this might also be suited for the competing vehicles forum, it is relevant to this discussion on the end of Edge production and the conversation of the factory over to building the new Ford and Lincoln 3-row EVs. Seems Toyota is also looking to compete in this space with a new EV plant in Kentucky to churn out 3-row EVs, to be released at the same time as the new Ford/Lincoln products. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/02/06/toyota-to-invest-1point3-billion-for-large-all-electric-suv-in-kentucky.html

I know this completely OT, but Toyotas CEO is talking out both sides of his mouth with EVs plus having an engine plant raided by authorizes because they don't meet regulations...WTF 

On 2/6/2024 at 11:42 AM, rmc523 said:

Not sure what it would be then.

Based on what we know about FRAP and from Fuzzy's clues, the only vehicle it could be is the new Mondeo(China)/Taurus(Middle East).

Don't caught up in the $50M figure in the new CBA. The way that was worded was opened ended; the $50M is what they'll spend if only the Mustang is built there.

16 minutes ago, AGR said:

Based on what we know about FRAP and from Fuzzy's clues, the only vehicle it could be is the new Mondeo(China)/Taurus(Middle East).

Using this as deduction, with FRAP having height issues-

2024 Mustang 55in tall

2024 Monedo 59in tall

2024 Taurus 59.2

2024 Evos 63 in tall

2024 Edge 68 in tall

So the Edge is too tall, but is the Evos short enough to clear? Maybe some creative height solutions to make it fit?

25 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Using this as deduction, with FRAP having height issues-

2024 Mustang 55in tall

2024 Monedo 59in tall

2024 Taurus 59.2

2024 Evos 63 in tall

2024 Edge 68 in tall

So the Edge is too tall, but is the Evos short enough to clear? Maybe some creative height solutions to make it fit?

I don't know, I'm not an expert on FRAP. But here's a few more vehicles previously made there:

2013-20 Fusion: 58.1" tall

2017 -20 Continental: 58.5" tall

I do know that Mike Levine stated emphatically that the Evos would not be sold here, but we all know about Ford and plans...

15 minutes ago, AGR said:

I do know that Mike Levine stated emphatically that the Evos would not be sold here, but we all know about Ford and plans...

Right but I don't think adding a sedan back the lineup would be exactly bright either. The Evos is different enough that its not quite a sedan not quite a station wagon or crossover too.