2017 Mondeo/Fusion mid cycle update spy photo thread

I can't find any existing thread on the subject so I'm starting one.

These new photos of Mondeo mid cycle update test mule are from China. It shows the car receiving the rotary knob gear selector from the new Taurus.

0_1_2015072918513742740.jpg

620x0_1_2015072918513719705.jpg

620x0_1_2015072918513669782.jpg

620x0_1_2015072918513691257.jpg

Previous spy photos from the US: http://www.autoblog.com/2015/04/12/2017-ford-fusion-facelift-spy-shots/

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

The placement of the dial has the same issue the 200 does. It doesn't really net any additional real estate on the center console that a shifter would have occupied. Moving the shifter to the dash (kinda like Lincoln but perhaps still a dial instead of buttons) would free up some room for other goodies like a phone dock or storage in the center console. (Which in turn may just add clutter to an already full dash)

Minor nitpick. I still like it better than a conventional shifter because it takes up less vertical space.

Of course like Richard said, it's most likely a module that will be installed on everything so the center console is the best and most convenient place to work in all vehicles.

Edited by Intrepidatious

Days are numbered for conventional shifters it seems.

Aren't most of them these days electronic anyway (meaning no linkage, not the BMW type electronic one)?

What is the second lever behind the parking brake?

I can't figure it out - was trying to think of "A" things. Only thing I could think of was auto start/stop, but I don't know

Aren't most of them these days electronic anyway (meaning no linkage, not the BMW type electronic one)?

I can't figure it out - was trying to think of "A" things. Only thing I could think of was auto start/stop, but I don't know

Fords shifters mainly use the cable to engage parking pawl and move the range sensor. Other than that, they aren't doing much. Hybrid's have been only engaging parking pawl like that since they came out.

I believe you are correct about the auto start stop switch. That's the same icon they use currently.

Edited by fordtech1

I have not seen much either regarding the updates, but one thing is certain, the segment is getting more competitive everyday. Mid-cycle updates seem to be more aggressive and no longer just a revised grill and taillights.

The Accord is a really good example. I think it has been on the market a shorter time than the Fusion and is receiving a number of significant updgrades. The fact that they are offering their "safety package" or whatever it is called, as a option across the board is huge-no longer do you need the top of the line trim to get the latest in safety items. The Camry and Mazda 6 also seem to be doing this-not sure how the new Malibu is being packaged, but I would be suprised if it was any different.

I would like to see the Fusion with an updated front and rear styling, maybe offering more chrome. The back end to me is the most boring aspect of the vehicle. It looks like some of the switch gear will be updated and freshened-which is needed. I still thiink the steering wheel has way to many buttons, but that seems to be the norm today. Not sure if there are any powetrain enhancements or not?

But sooner than later since it may already be the oldest vehicle in the segment?

You can see the Auto Start button in the same place as it is today in the third picture down so I am not sure what that "A" lever is.

I think I misunderstood what rmc523 was saying. Maybe it is the switch to turn off the auto start-stop feature that automatically shuts off the engine when you come to a stop. I believe that feature is going to find its way into all cars in the future because it is a fuel saver (although I doubt it saves much).

• Like 1

Yes, Dave, that's what I was referring to. A switch that turns it off. I know BMWs equipped with auto stop/start have a switch that you can disable it if you want.

I mean it's possible it could be something else, but that's still my guess at the moment.

Car styling purists complain about today's car looks, blah, blah,. But fancy chrome grilles and hood ornaments, like on 70's Ford Granadas, that they cream over, don't do anything for car's performance, MPG, or drivability.

Edited by 630land

Well we need some proof of that in the form of an affidavit, notarized by 3 independent notaries in 6 different states.

I'm just wondering how long he's going to wait on a new CD4 taurus for the U.S. that isn't coming to admit I was right.

I think the over/under is 10 more months.

• Like 1