Ford Bronco will ride again, says CEO Mark Fields at Detroit auto show

Dean, you might enjoy this little rant I sent one of my buddies yesterday. It had to do with body on frame trucks.

"It is no accident that we have somehow drifted into this stupid universe where we have fake trucks like the Ridgeline that can’t tow a fart and an Explorer that would get stuck on one. I guess that is a reflection of the urban cowboy nonsense where people want to feel all rugged and tough but they can’t tolerate a vehicle where you can actually feel a damn pothole when you are stupid enough to hit one.
By the way, I wonder if autonomous (sp?) vehicles can recognize and miss potholes without flipping on their roof and smashing all their silly antennas? If not they will never make it in Ohio and PA!"
  • Like 1

blks8k2...lol...I will remember that next time Im on one leg attempting to balance on 4 cups of coffee vainly attempting for 5 minutes to demonstrate the foot operated liftgate......only to succeed 1 out of 5 times and just tell the customer to use their remote........................................................

Joe Hinrichs said yesterday it (Ranger) will be "all new"

Fuzzy, I love ya bud, but that's not what he said. Did anyone actually watch the press conference yesterday morning? I did. The Ranger was spelled out by Hinrichs. It will be the global Ranger, with "unique front styling, engines, and features." It will not be a new ground up vehicle, unless the global Ranger is planned to be all new in the same time frame. Watch the press conference starting at 4:50:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk6iShyuM3M

Edit: sorry Anthony, I was posting while you were already on!

Edited by Harley Lover

well, different engines, styling and features....all that leaves is the Frame...so is it all new or......he also mentions ravel AND boulders....so Im expecting something a LOT less soft roader than some are speculating........Sync Services...Horoscope.......

Edited by Deanh

The current generation of the global Ranger has been on the market since about the time we lost ours and it has had only cosmetics upgrades. It is due for a major redesign. Having said that, I think it is also true that we have seen statements like "The Ranger will be based on the current T6 architecture."

well, different engines, styling and features....all that leaves is the Frame...so is it all new or......

No, not "styling". He specifically said "Front end styling". So it is the same truck as whatever the ROW gets that year (whether it is the current truck or something new).

Edit: I'm not sure if you referring to an all new truck worldwide or just the differences for NA. Either way, we get what everyone else gets with a slightly different wrapper (and engines). Which...mind you...I see nothing wrong with.

Edited by Anthony

RMC....nope, Im not convinced someone that would by a more off road oriented vehicle is interested in Massaging seats, adaptive cruise, Home Link, Ford Pass, Front rear side and trailer cameras, power adjustable pedals, ambient lighting, 2nd row heated seats, coolie bins, lane keeping, active park assist etc etc etc ....this truck should be more purpose built than attempting to appeal to snowflake millennial Tekkies.....as Chopper Reid said ( google You Tube ) people need to Harden the F--k Up.....lol....this truck, again IMO, NEEDS to be Ford TOUGH with a minimum lipstick.

All of those features sound like great options to have on a daily driver....

We all want this to be a serious 4x4, but let's not pretend that people will only be buying this for a weekend rock crawler.

Ford would do well to cater to all I potential buyers with regular, lux models and "lifestyle" models (am I usimg that word right?)

I still think it's a little uncharacteristic of Ford to re-launch new vehicles this deep into their life-cycles, especially when it involves a new location for production and another new product to be based upon it. It's probably not a big deal for Ranger but it's such a heavy truck relative to it's competitors, getting competitive gas mileage out of it may be a challenge without a total redesign...especially since Diesel is not a major customer in the US. But ultimately I'm sure this is very low priority for them considering the importance of F-150 so significant investment isn't going to happen, I'm sure teaming up with Bronco at the factory is what made this work.

Edited by BORG

Bronc will need a manual transfer case..5 speed manual is another must have....analog gauges, no carpet,marine vinyl seat option...a regular hand door lock and window crank...2 minutes in the creek and that crap electro crap is fried....something along those lines where it dosent look like i have to check my balls at the door to drive the thing..a milkbone dispenser for the dag i would prolly buy cause she would appreciate that....yea the electro garbage on vehicles anymore is beyond stupid

Edited by snooter
  • Like 1

Bronc will need a manual transfer case..5 speed manual is another must have....analog gauges, no carpet,marine vinyl seat option...a regular hand door lock and window crank...2 minutes in the creek and that crap electro crap is fried....something along those lines where it dosent look like i have to check my balls at the door to drive the thing..a milkbone dispenser for the dag i would prolly buy cause she would appreciate that....yea the electro garbage on vehicles anymore is beyond stupid

You would probably be surprised at what the current ROW Ranger is capable of. It makes most models of the F-150 look silly off-road. It has to be rugged considering where they sell it. A lot of those places don't have freeways like ours. It can ford water up to the hood without drowning.

I still think it's a little uncharacteristic of Ford to re-launch new vehicles this deep into their life-cycles, especially when it involves a new location for production and another new product to be based upon it. It's probably not a big deal for Ranger but it's such a heavy truck relative to it's competitors, getting competitive gas mileage out of it may be a challenge without a total redesign...especially since Diesel is not a major customer in the US. But ultimately I'm sure this is very low priority for them considering the importance of F-150 so significant investment isn't going to happen, I'm sure teaming up with Bronco at the factory is what made this work.

I don't think the Ranger is insignificant considering that it is one of the best selling trucks world-wide. It is the "F-150" everywhere else.

I don't have any expectation that the Bronco will be as purpose built as the Wrangler when it comes to true off-roading. The Wrangler is a mutant with a huge dash/axle ratio with no front overhang. That has largely evolved over time but it wasn't always the case. I'm just really curious to see what they do and how far they go. Unfortunately aluminum is out of the question it seems.

But if the Bronco isn't a full-on convertible, I think it's pointless. They might as well just bring the Everest over and call it a day, the rest is just styling.

Edited by BORG

I think you being a bit pessimistic.

If Ford was simply rushing a modified T6 Ranger to North America, it could have done that years ago.

This is different, a whole new product cycle and yes, it's an evolution but more an Expedition (engine only)

comb over...

Since it's introduction in 2010, Ford has had six years to study what the market wants and prepare for those

changes as a mass batch, incorporation of latest technology and advances in construction processes and

whatever weight reductions were done with Colorado can also be done with Ranger...

Where GM funded upgrades to the global Colorado to deliver a satisfactory product for North America,

Ford is bundling all of those proposed changes into the next generation Ranger so that all markets can

share in the benefits. I suspect that any "light weighting will be of a kind that can be added to the

existing production sequence and may be in the form of 1) revised frame design and 2) HT body.

Edited by jpd80

if I want a Bronco I want something that gos along with its intended purpose, something I can get into with muddy gumboots and not worry about makin a mess....there HAS to be a market for a more no nonsense "tougher" vehicle.....I swear, most vehicles now are four wheeled Massage Parlors....take your Miko Suede inserts and..................

I have to agree. There is something appealing about a simplified vehicle. My 2012 Mustang is very simple with few options and it is by far my favorite car that I ever owned. I agree about the need for a very purposeful rugged Bronco. Those who insist on everything and the kitchen sink should be able to get a fancy version too, but I think the boulder blaster should exist with no carpeting.

Hypothetical, if Bronco is going to be the size of the last BOF Explorer, then that would allow Ford

the option of making Explorer bigger and a roomy 3-row SUV, similar ro the 2018 Traverse.

Such a change would add differentiation alongside Edge in the mid-sized sector as well as

giving Ford another large 3-row SUV... just a thought...

Edited by jpd80

Hypothetical, if Bronco is going to be the size of the last BOF Explorer, then that would allow Ford

the option of making Explorer bigger and a roomy 3-row SUV, similar ro the 2018 Traverse.

Such a change would add differentiation alongside Edge in the mid-sized sector as well as

giving Ford another large 3-row SUV... just a thought...

Don't expect the NG Explorer to grow much in exterior dimensions. Inside, through, will be packaged *much* better.

I always considered the original Bronco a stable mate to the Mustang. With similar names, one represented freedom on the open road and the Bronco represented freedom on the range. Today the Mustang still represents that and the Bronco could too as an alternative to cars much as Ford's CUVs/SUVs are preferable to the their car counterparts today. The Mustang supports a huge aftermarket for people to customize them and increase performance. Ford Performance could reap the same benefits from the Bronco if it allows for that and the aftermarket could as well much like the Wrangler does. I think that's a huge business case adder.

When the Bronco became the Bronco II and ultimately the Explorer all that went away. I'm optimistic that Ford will realize the potential in it's off road Mustang the Bronco.

• Like 1

RMC....nope, Im not convinced someone that would by a more off road oriented vehicle is interested in Massaging seats, adaptive cruise, Home Link, Ford Pass, Front rear side and trailer cameras, power adjustable pedals, ambient lighting, 2nd row heated seats, coolie bins, lane keeping, active park assist etc etc etc ....this truck should be more purpose built than attempting to appeal to snowflake millennial Tekkies.....as Chopper Reid said ( google You Tube ) people need to Harden the F--k Up.....lol....this truck, again IMO, NEEDS to be Ford TOUGH with a minimum lipstick.

I think you could have both of these types of vehicles. Jeep has the Lux model and a stripper model that is quite capable. Heck it even has roll-up windows. Most Vehicles serve a dual purpose now for recreational and daily use. Probably 95% of the specialty vehicles sold are not used for their intended purpose. I don't maximize the capability of my truck every day by any means, but I occasionally get to on the weekends. I sure love driving it every time I get in it though.

Don't expect the NG Explorer to grow much in exterior dimensions. Inside, through, will be packaged *much* better.

I'd hope not...thats my biggest complaint about my SHO (longest passenger car that Ford makes) is the thing is too damn long. I've owned nothing but Mustangs and Ford sub/compact cars prior to it and want to move back down a size...The Edge and Mustang are roughly the same length and I expect the Bronco to be about the same.

You would probably be surprised at what the current ROW Ranger is capable of. It makes most models of the F-150 look silly off-road. It has to be rugged considering where they sell it. A lot of those places don't have freeways like ours. It can ford water up to the hood without drowning.

Agreed. I saw several in Afghanistan. Unfortunately we were using Toyota's so I didn't get the test one out. Visit that place and you'll have an understanding what a bad Road is, if you call them roads.

I have to agree. There is something appealing about a simplified vehicle. My 2012 Mustang is very simple with few options and it is by far my favorite car that I ever owned. I agree about the need for a very purposeful rugged Bronco. Those who insist on everything and the kitchen sink should be able to get a fancy version too, but I think the boulder blaster should exist with no carpeting.

For me, I spend a lot of time in my car commuting, so I want something comfortable that has a bevy of options that I'm able to use/enjoy. I realize the Bronco has a "traditional" customer base that wants the no-frills "simplified" vehicle. I'm not saying they shouldn't have that type of trim available, just that I'd like to see a well-equipped model available for me to be interested. Not to mention they can charge more for such a model, making the entire program more profitable/viable.

You mean like how my STX has rubber floor covering and the higher trims have carpet? Nah, there's no way they could do that...

Yup, exactly....impossible!!!

• Like 1

If nothing the electronic driving aids should be easy to disable. I find them irritating on my truck at times and it is not a simple flick of the switch to disable all of them what I want to.

I always considered the original Bronco a stable mate to the Mustang. With similar names, one represented freedom on the open road and the Bronco represented freedom on the range. Today the Mustang still represents that and the Bronco could too as an alternative to cars much as Ford's CUVs/SUVs are preferable to the their car counterparts today. The Mustang supports a huge aftermarket for people to customize them and increase performance. Ford Performance could reap the same benefits from the Bronco if it allows for that and the aftermarket could as well much like the Wrangler does. I think that's a huge business case adder.

When the Bronco became the Bronco II and ultimately the Explorer all that went away. I'm optimistic that Ford will realize the potential in it's off road Mustang the Bronco.

Well said and I think that's the only way to grow any market share. Escape, Edge and Explorer already have the soft ute category covered.

• Like 1