Ford Confirms Plan: More SUVs/CUVs, Fewer Cars

The Subaru buyers I know buy a Subaru only because that's what is out there in the AWD segment. They love Subaru because it offered them what they want at a price they can afford, if there was something else that was similar the ones I know would look at it. Ford has one tiny and one small sparsely equipped AWD utility in the 27K range - Subaru has 4 and they all have a reasonable amount of equipment on them.

There is some truth to that but because they offer those types of vehicles they’ve built up a reputation and brand loyalty especially in the Pacific Northwest and I’m sure some other areas like Colorado maybe. They like and trust Subaru.

There is some truth to that but because they offer those types of vehicles they’ve built up a reputation and brand loyalty especially in the Pacific Northwest and I’m sure some other areas like Colorado maybe. They like and trust Subaru.

Suburu has had some serious blown engine issues over the past few years. Oil consumption and overall design has added to quite a few CA lawsuits. I have a friend that babied his (can't remember the model) and put Mobile 1 in since day one. I believe he had less than 60 when his engine blew. Suburu wasn't so nice to him at first. I doubt he will buy another.

I feel like they are primed to lose some customers and an AWD wagon would of helped Ford.

Edited by jcartwright99
  • Like 1

Suburu has had some serious blown engine issues over the past few years. Oil consumption and overall design has added to quite a few CA lawsuits. I have a friend that babied his (can't remember the model) and put Mobile 1 in since day one. I believe he had less than 60 when his engine blew. Suburu wasn't so nice to him at first. I doubt he will buy another.

I see that too Subaru's are not the most reliable cars out there, they are like Nissan's. They get by on the Japanese reputation of Toyota and Honda, but are far from what those brands are. But when it is your only option that is what you go with.

Edited by jasonj80

You find this anywhere in the snowbelt actually. We live in northern Lower Michigan, smack dab in the Lake Michigan snowbelt. Think more than 140" of snow/season. Subaru's are very popular here. Several friends of ours (women) swear by Subaru's. Personally, I don't get it.

You find this anywhere in the snowbelt actually. We live in northern Lower Michigan, smack dab in the Lake Michigan snowbelt. Think more than 140" of snow/season. Subaru's are very popular here. Several friends of ours (women) swear by Subaru's. Personally, I don't get it.

I am not going to get into this topic off (even more than it is) track but you should google Suburu women's demographic. Something I noticed a while ago and well Suburu has embraced.

I am not going to get into this topic off (even more than it is) track but you should google Suburu women's demographic. Something I noticed a while ago and well Suburu has embraced.

My son lives in Seattle. I’m well aware of what they call Subarus out there and the type of women who like to drive them.

My son lives in Seattle. Im well aware of what they call Subarus out there and the type of women who like to drive them.

You get them on the second date

Meet on scissr

Date one - vegan restrauant

Date two - buy Subaru

Date three - buy house

Date four - Home Depot and the adoption agency.

What I don't understand is their popularity in very cold states, the CVT transmissions can't be driven above 30 mph until they warm up. Two of my colleagues at work stated that the software prevents speeds above 30 mph on cold mornings (below 10 F). I guess this to keep the grenadeing at 60,000 miles likes Nissan

Gotcha - totally misunderstood that one. I don’t think they should drop Fusion or use the Fusion or Taurus name for a new crossover.

I don’t think they need a new crossover though - Ford already makes a 3 row Edge for China. Just bring that over and call it a day.

I agree they don't need more crossovers. There is a certain point where you run out of whitespace and stop gaining market share and dilute the success of your own products.

I know many on here arent fans of the Everest but i think it looks better than any other suv/cuv ford offers right now.if the bronco ends up being too expensive, the Everest would be my second choice.is there any chance it comes to the USA?

Edited by T-dubz

I know many on here arent fans of the Everest but i think it looks better than any other suv/cuv ford offers right now.if the bronco ends up being too expensive, the Everest would be my second choice.is there any chance it comes to the USA?

I doubt it. It fits in pretty much the same segment as the Bronco (probably) will.

I disagree. I think the Everest could be the civilized version of the Bronco leaving the Bronco to go after the more hard core off road crowd (or at least the hardcore appearing crowd). I think it will come down to whether they need or want the addtional plant volume and whether they can export it.

What would be the harm in building both an Everest and a Bronco?

Some buyers and plant workers might rejoice at the thought of a plant producing as much product as dealers can sell

Ford Everest could easily be imported to the USA from Thailand or China. Unlike Ranger, it's a considered passenger vehicle. No 25% tax.

Ford Everest could easily be imported to the USA from Thailand or China. Unlike Ranger, it's a considered passenger vehicle. No 25% tax.

But it’s cheaper to build it here and the main point of an Everest is to increase MAP utilization and lower fixed costs for Ranger and Bronco.