Ford July 2018 Sales: down 3.1%

Transit and F-series... Ford's two most important products are up. Everything else had a terrible month. The bottom is falling out on Focus which we somewhat expected. But the weakness in Escape has no excuses when rival compact CUVs are setting sales records month after month.

This is how things are going to look for the remainder of the year unfortunately, it's probably going to get much worse so hang on tight.

Ford is just loosing a tremendous amount of customer diversity and marketshare and that hemorrhaging is going to continue through 2020 as they cut cars cold turkey before they have their new utility products in play. They are also shedding unprofitable volume intentionally, I'm sure Ford could sell allot more vehicles if they wanted to but they can't afford it.

Transit is actually up this much because of a recall problem last year that suspended sales, it's actually down a bit from last month.

Looks like EcoSport has plateaued already with sales down nearly 1,000 units from last month. It's amazing to me that Ford has not converted any of its car customers to utilities, everything in their volume portfolio has been plunging from ALL cars to utilities.

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 1

Transit and F-series... Ford's two most important products are up. Everything else had a terrible month. The bottom is falling out on Focus which we somewhat expected. But the weakness in Escape has no excuses when rival compact CUVs are setting sales records month after month.

The Focus is also 3 months out of production so there are zero deals to be had right now. Not sure where inventory on that stands.

The plan of only selling >$50k trucks/utilities is working out great! After all, ATPs are king!!! Why not double down and dump the underperforming Escape and just raise the price of F150 another $5 grand to compensate? Boom! Better ATPs with fewer models / less overhead!!! That's all that matters right?

Seriously - how did Ford not see this coming?

Toyota cars down 13%. Prius and Camry down 19% each! Truck sales up! OMG what is Toyota doing wrong? They're doomed!

Ford's YTD results are not that bad. This is why they want to go to quarterly reporting - one month can be an anomaly.

It isn't great news but it isn't bad news either considering.

• Like 3

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North%20America/US/2018/08/01/18-july-sales.pdf

Cars down huge. SUVs down 2%. Lincoln takes a bath again.

Lincoln's "bath" is largely attributed to car losses (-1204 there).

MKX down too - I wonder if some of that is people waiting for Nautilus, when does it arrive?

Edited by rmc523

Lincoln's "bath" is largely attributed to car losses (-1204 there).

MKX down too - I wonder if some of that is people waiting for Nautilus, when does it arrive?

They're only offering $1K in incentives right now. I think they're content with fewer sales and higher ATPs for now.

Escape rebates are nearly $6k for at least last 3 months here so no surprise...sadly my time of ford auto ownership for over 35 years is going to end..our family ownership of ford stretches back to grandpas model T....i just do not want or need a suv so they have forced me to look elsewhere...

Escape rebates are nearly $6k for at least last 3 months here so no surprise...sadly my time of ford auto ownership for over 35 years is going to end..our family ownership of ford stretches back to grandpas model T....i just do not want or need a suv so they have forced me to look elsewhere...

But for every snooter there are at least 2 buyers (maybe 3) who feel the same way about cars.

Most car buyers don't want to admit that....

The market is telling Ford which vehicles they want....

I know some will have a hard time understanding Ford letting its cars drift away, it really didn't

have to be this savage but Ford basically shifted all of its funding and leasing support to utilities.

So the re-balancing away from car sales continues - they shoulda kept one new good mid sized car

possibly RWD for added differentiation from the pack but I digress..

We're seeing the convergence of Fields mistakes and Hackett's incompetence opening gaps in the showroom

and this is why things will get ugly as the market weakens ........and why Hackett is nowhere to be seen...

Edited by jpd80

I do understand Snooters point of view, as it would be nice if Ford had one sedan that people can buy that wasnt a station wagon or SUV. There are people that actually like the way a sedan looks, and frankly some of the sedans on the market now are the best looking sedans that Ive seen in quite some time. But it is what it is, Unfortunately.

The Focus is also 3 months out of production so there are zero deals to be had right now. Not sure where inventory on that stands.

Focus being out of production for 3 months shouldn't be a factor at all as rarely does a customer place factory orders for a Focus. There's a ton of Focus inventory in stock and the Ford rebates here are $4,000 for the regular Focus and $3,500 for the Focus ST.

• Like 1

For a number of years now, all Ford's talked about is their profit objective. They don't want to match competitors incentives unless they have to and still meet their profit objective for a vehicle line. They've made it clear that they're willing to lose business and customers unless they can meet their profit based objective. Somewhere along the line the suits in Dearborn failed to learn the importance of brand loyalty. If you can't sell the customer the 1st time, you can't sell them the 2nd time! Now they're trying to run conquest promotions to get owners of non-Ford vehicles to buy or lease. If Ford had done more in the first place they wouldn't have lost those customers!

I do understand Snooters point of view, as it would be nice if Ford had one sedan that people can buy that wasnt a station wagon or SUV. There are people that actually like the way a sedan looks, and frankly some of the sedans on the market now are the best looking sedans that Ive seen in quite some time. But it is what it is, Unfortunately.

Not properly refreshing Fusion was part of the plan to let it fade away as was messing with the ordering system

It didn't have to be this way but the moment Ford whinged about 33,000 order variations, you knew what was coming..

Most car buyers don't want to admit that....

The market is telling Ford which vehicles they want....

I know some will have a hard time understanding Ford letting its cars drift away, it really didn't

have to be this savage but Ford basically shifted all of its funding and leasing support to utilities.

So the re-balancing away from car sales continues - they shoulda kept one new good mid sized car

possibly RWD for added differentiation from the pack but I digress..

We're seeing the convergence of Fields mistakes and Hackett's incompetence opening gaps in the showroom

and this is why things will get ugly as the market weakens ........and why Hackett is nowhere to be seen...

I'm a car guy but I realize the market is changing. Much like you don't see giant 2 door 4 seat convertibles/cars anymore, the car as we know it is mostly changing to CUV/lifted wagons. I don't like it but it is what it is. It's either you lead, follow, or die. Fields left a mess. Hackett (love it or hate it) is dealing with the mess and moving into how he/Bill Ford sees the future. We are way off from knowing if they are correct but the next 12 months will be kinda rough. After that, we should be good for a few years just based off of the Ranger, Bronco, Maverick, Explorer, Edge, F150, Focus Activ, Escape...etc. I think what we know about those ICE, PHEV, HEV vehicles is promising but after 3 years. It's anyone's guess how Ford will look. I do think hybrids will be the vehicle the bridges the gap between ICE vs. electric. It's all about execution.

• Like 1