Wrangler 392 (V8) Unveiling tomorrow (11/17)

Anthony

It's just dumb but it will sell. The same reason the TRX will be sold out. Much like the Hellcat, the market will be flooded with them in 1-2 years at a substantial discount or rebuilt title due to crashing. I will admit, Stellantis knows their audience. It all about a certain measuring contest. My guess it will cost at least 70, financed over 84 at 6.0% months it isn't so bad...until you add in fuel costs.

4 hours ago, AGR said:

https://www.motor1.com/news/454745/2021-jeep-wrangler-rubicon-392/

Small nitpick with the article: there has actually never been a Wrangler V8. There was a V8 powered CJ offered from 1976-81. 

Don't they address the 40 years ago here?   As hard to believe that 1980 was 40 years ago,,,,,,

HRG

40 years.JPG

Edited by HotRunrGuy

2 hours ago, rperez817 said:

BEV Bronco will win the battle. Ford needs to get that Bronco variant ready as soon as possible.

For anyone using the Bronco as it was intended, in the "rough", I don't think they are wishing for a BEV. For all the "mall crawler" Broncos, I could see a BEV being  a good solution. But then, this is a different vehicle and doesn't require all of the engineering that the Bronco has to create a true off-roader.

Maybe another Bronco to add to the "Bronco Family"?

10 minutes ago, valve said:

For anyone using the Bronco as it was intended, in the "rough", I don't think they are wishing for a BEV. For all the "mall crawler" Broncos, I could see a BEV being  a good solution. But then, this is a different vehicle and doesn't require all of the engineering that the Bronco has to create a true off-roader.

Maybe another Bronco to add to the "Bronco Family"?

If it's just for looks, Bronco Sport Badlands BEV would work nicely.

I think there would be a small market for an off road capable Bronco BEV with a 100 mile range.   These would be trailered to the trail, not driven so 100 miles is plenty of range for a day of rock crawling.   The market would be tiny though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, probowler said:

I have never in my life heard someone say... "Wow! I really love ford Broncos... but I wish i could buy an electric bronco!"

Good point probowler sir, that's mainly because no automaker has previously offered a mass produced BEV with impressive capabilities both on road and off road. But soon there will be several products, both pickup truck and SUV, that fit that description. BEV powertrains allow for a level of control in off road situations that simply can't be done with ICE, with a level of efficiency that's also unheard of.

The future of off road optimized vehicles, just as with automobiles in general, is 100% electric. Ford is not going to miss out on this market with Bronco, hopefully they'll make an announcement soon about when BEV Bronco will come out.

Edited by rperez817

1 hour ago, CKNSLS said:

WHAT?????????????????????

If you going to knock something at least come up with something constructive and makes sense.

You’re either joking or have never heard of driving a slow car fast.  The Miata has always had a small 4cyl ( a turbo was available for a short time) with not a lot of power, but great handling balance.  The Rx-7 and 8 were similar.  A large v8 sitting over the front axle upset the balance.  Sure it was fast in a straight line, but that wasn’t what the Miata was about.  Similarly, the wrangler is foremost a low speed off-road vehicle.  It doesn’t need lots of hp.  It needs tons of low speed torque.  A diesel is a much better choice for that task.  Jeep/fiat/@#$& (lost track of the name changes and just going with random symbols now) removed the low range on the 392 version claiming it had enough torque it didn’t need it.  So much for the extra torque being useful for low speed situations.  No idea how many of these things show up at the drag strip.

43 minutes ago, slemke said:

You’re either joking or have never heard of driving a slow car fast.  The Miata has always had a small 4cyl ( a turbo was available for a short time) with not a lot of power, but great handling balance.  The Rx-7 and 8 were similar.  A large v8 sitting over the front axle upset the balance.  Sure it was fast in a straight line, but that wasn’t what the Miata was about.  Similarly, the wrangler is foremost a low speed off-road vehicle.  It doesn’t need lots of hp.  It needs tons of low speed torque.  A diesel is a much better choice for that task.  Jeep/fiat/@#$& (lost track of the name changes and just going with random symbols now) removed the low range on the 392 version claiming it had enough torque it didn’t need it.  So much for the extra torque being useful for low speed situations.  No idea how many of these things show up at the drag strip.

That's the one thing FCA Stellantis is great at. Making cars that are great at going on a straight line. 

• Like 3