Maverick Sold out for 2022

Ford Motor Co. is taking the unusual step of cutting off customer orders for the Maverick, a more-affordable pickup that it rolled out last fall, saying it has maxed out on what it can build. The move is a sign that American shoppers are hungry for more-affordable options as prices for new cars and trucks hit new records and availability remains constrained on dealership lots. Ford told dealers Monday that it is suspending customer orders for the Maverick pickup truck because it is already straining to fill a backlog. The company will resume taking orders for the 2023 Maverick in the summer, it said in a memo to dealers, reviewed by The Wall Street Journal.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/ford-shuts-off-orders-for-new-20-000-maverick-pickup-11643033093

13 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

My father in law is looking at getting one-I told him to wait till the end of the year. 

Looks like it is Thursday is actually the last day (https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/ford/2022/01/24/ford-pause-maverick-pickup-truck-orders-until-summer/6635621001/), If he wants one by the end of the year I'd be looking at getting the order in now. I'm not sure how Ford didn't know this was going to be a crazy popular vehicle. 

I saw this coming, and no one can really be surprised in the slightest....given the average transaction for vehicular purchases is anow averaging somewhere north of 40k, you build a competent vehicle at a reasonable price and buyers will flock in droves....well done Ford....wonder how the Hyundai competitor is doing #s wise?????  

Looks like I'm going to be watching when the order guides come out and the order banks for the 2023 MY vehicles. I have a short list of vehicles on my list (BS, Maverick, Bronco, and Ranger). Each one has it's pros/cons. Maverick had been on top of the list but now I don't know. My first choice would be a Bronco (allegedly going to receive a few changes for 2023), but we all know the issues trying to get a Bronco.

16 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

Looks like I'm going to be watching when the order guides come out and the order banks for the 2023 MY vehicles. I have a short list of vehicles on my list (BS, Maverick, Bronco, and Ranger). Each one has it's pros/cons. Maverick had been on top of the list but now I don't know. My first choice would be a Bronco (allegedly going to receive a few changes for 2023), but we all know the issues trying to get a Bronco.

There’s an antimatter blue BIg Bend dealer demo available  by me that will be available to purchase soon if you like that color.  

55 minutes ago, Deanh said:

I saw this coming, and no one can really be surprised in the slightest....given the average transaction for vehicular purchases is anow averaging somewhere north of 40k, you build a competent vehicle at a reasonable price and buyers will flock in droves....well done Ford....wonder how the Hyundai competitor is doing #s wise?????  

The Sante Cruz went on sale several months before the maverick, but the maverick has already surpassed the sales figures of the Hyundai, shocking no-one lol.

Well, I guess one of the benefits of getting a second year maverick is that it won't have those infamous first year issues. Not that the mavericks seem to be having that many issues right now. They aren't like the Sante Cruz, where multiple people are having acceleration issues, check engine lights, and complete dct transmission failures a few weeks or months into the ownership experience.

14 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

Well, I guess one of the benefits of getting a second year maverick is that it won't have those infamous first year issues. Not that the mavericks seem to be having that many issues right now. They aren't like the Sante Cruz, where multiple people are having acceleration issues, check engine lights, and complete dct transmission failures a few weeks or months into the ownership experience.

After watching some TFL truck videos, I'm guessing Hyundai really doesn't expect many to take their Santa Cruz off road. That DCT/AWD combo was never meant to be taken off road other than a really tame dirt road.

24 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

This is a lesson on target price range for future BEVs coming to market. GM will have a winner with the BEV Equinox if they can in fact produce it for $30,000. Price matters. Maybe that's why Kia can sell every vehicle it can make. 

1 hour ago, DeluxeStang said:

Mavericks drivetrains are tried and true, and have been for quite some time, so the old adage of wait till the bugs are out, I don't think really applies....that hybrid drivetrain especially is rock solid....and one of the Mavericks strong points, is the overall product didn't get a bunch of needless eletronic add ons, it was kept simple....

1 hour ago, Deanh said:

Mavericks drivetrains are tried and true, and have been for quite some time, so the old adage of wait till the bugs are out, I don't think really applies....that hybrid drivetrain especially is rock solid....and one of the Mavericks strong points, is the overall product didn't get a bunch of needless eletronic add ons, it was kept simple....

Yeah, that hybrid powertrain is known for being virtually unkillable. I wasn't worried about glaring reliability issues, moreso smaller issues with implementation. But thankfully, the maverick seems to be solid there as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

If he wants one by the end of the year I'd be looking at getting the order in now. I'm not sure how Ford didn't know this was going to be a crazy popular vehicle. 

They don't pay off their Equinox till December, so he was looking early 2023

3 hours ago, Deanh said:

The Santa Cruz sold about 9K units last year.

The Maverick sold 13,258 units with it only coming out in September?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

They don't pay off their Equinox till December, so he was looking early 2023

The Santa Cruz sold about 9K units last year.

The Maverick sold 13,258 units with it only coming out in September?

priced right, and its functional ...home run for Ford....and if anything Id say UNDER priced....it could have been 3 k more IMO...

5 hours ago, Deanh said:

Here's what I found:

Santa Cruz ended at 10,042 for the year, and sales started in July.

Maverick ended at 13,258 for the year, and sales started in September.

So Maverick ended with 3,216 more sales, despite the 2 month head start.

Edited by rmc523

17 minutes ago, bzcat said:

Bet you Farley wished he had another plant in Mexico that could crank out 200k vehicle just about now...

Can't keep up with demand - that's a problem Ford didn't have before when the entry level vehicle was Festiva Aspire Fiesta EcoSport.

Pity that Ford cancelled San Louis Potosi, I think Fields was in the corporate equivalent of quicksand (mistake after mistake). I think he drowned himself in short term reactionary moves, he couldn’t perceive the changed landscape Ford has today. 

Edited by jpd80

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

Pity that Ford cancelled San Louis Potosi, I think Fields was in the corporate equivalent of quicksand (mistake after mistake). I think he drowned himself in short term reactionary moves, he couldn’t perceive the changed landscape Ford has today. 

They also have Louisville that builds the same platform that is under capacity if they deem necessary. Sounds like they believe it's not worth trying to secure even more parts production at the moment with all the issues related to that going on at the moment. No doubt they'll revisit at some point. 

15 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

They also have Louisville that builds the same platform that is under capacity if they deem necessary. Sounds like they believe it's not worth trying to secure even more parts production at the moment with all the issues related to that going on at the moment. No doubt they'll revisit at some point. 

Yeah, I can imagine that Ford management is in a head spin at the moment and would love to do more products but they know what happens when resources are stretched thin. For all of Farley’s confidence there are still many senior staff who would be risk averse right about now…..

43 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I doubt Ford could make a large enough profit margin on the Maverick in Louisville. 

Bronco Sport on the other hand...

Then use the extra space for the Maverick. 

Would it be too costly to increase production in Hermosillo (considering they secure supply of components)?

They are not bringing a lot of Bronco Sports and Mavericks down here - only in expensive higher trim levels. If they had more output in Mexico, entry versions could increase their volumes here.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Pretty sure they are parts constrained not factory constrained right now.  Hermosillo can put out 350k+.

Correct but I also suspect that Ford underestimated the interest in its Hermosillo built products.

With the right funding, it most likely could be expanded to 400k or more per year

• Like 2