OHAP Major announcement

5 hours ago, jpd80 said:

If you look on Google maps, the border of Sheffield and Avon Lake runs through the middle of the plant

Thx JP....Well today we will know  more...and this may be good news for 650/750 or the end of it.  After reading

Ford Authority today sounds like Farley is drinking more and more EV Kool-Aid.  No doubt it is the future but I fear "at a measured pace" is not his mindset.

Just checked Alpha..big Ford story in todays WSJ....1.5 billion investment in Ohio..EV vehicle "mid decade".

Headline..."Ford to Create 6,200 Union Jobs, Invest $3.7 Billion in EV, Gas-Engine Production"

I better walk out to get my copy before I get too depressed ?

The rumors from a few years ago that OHAP was going to become a BEV plant may be taking shape.  I think with oil prices so high Ford (and the others) will see a significant drop in large pickup sales.  I would not be surprised if Super Duty cab and chassis production could be folded back into KTP at some point.  Could leave OHAP open for anything. 

51 minutes ago, 7Mary3 said:

The rumors from a few years ago that OHAP was going to become a BEV plant may be taking shape.  I think with oil prices so high Ford (and the others) will see a significant drop in large pickup sales.  I would not be surprised if Super Duty cab and chassis production could be folded back into KTP at some point.  Could leave OHAP open for anything. 

So that means those who buy $90,000 Super Duties care about fuel prices? 

7 hours ago, bzcat said:

First sign that Ford is still planning to compete in medium duty after ICE phase out that is already underway. This surely means Ford has been secretly working on E series and stripped chassis replacement. 

Maybe, if OHAP will build BEV versions of what it currently builds.

2 hours ago, akirby said:

Individuals don’t.  Fleets do.

I think a significant number of current large pickup buyers will opt out if fuel prices continue to be high.  Think retirees on fixed incomes with big 5er's, young guys that don't need a big truck, and the type that lives on the financial edge that will be priced out of the market.  Also consider what is about to happen in Washington D.C., you know it's a matter of time before other states look consider the same thing.  That is except California where it's been that way for years: 

https://www.thedrive.com/news/washington-dc-wants-heavy-truck-owners-to-pay-big-500-annual-fee

21 minutes ago, 7Mary3 said:

I think a significant number of current large pickup buyers will opt out if fuel prices continue to be high.  Think retirees on fixed incomes with big 5er's, young guys that don't need a big truck, and the type that lives on the financial edge that will be priced out of the market.  Also consider what is about to happen in Washington D.C., you know it's a matter of time before other states look consider the same thing.  That is except California where it's been that way for years: 

https://www.thedrive.com/news/washington-dc-wants-heavy-truck-owners-to-pay-big-500-annual-fee

If $5/gas makes a difference to somebody they aren’t going to be spending $90k on a new Super Duty.  

The difference in 20 mpg and 30 mpg at 15k/yr at $5/gal is $1200/yr.  That’s less than 2 payments.

Some people who would have bought a F150 might opt for a Maverick hybrid though.

If $5/gas makes a difference to somebody they aren’t going to be spending $90k on a new Super Duty.  

The difference in 20 mpg and 30 mpg at 15k/yr at $5/gal is $1200/yr.  That’s less than 2 payments.

Some people who would have bought a F150 might opt for a Maverick hybrid though.

Yes, but things get worse with $8/gal. fuel (@ 12-15 m.p.g. average) and maybe a $1500/year registration cost (that goes up 10% or better every year).  Sure some will continue to buy $90,000 trucks but with each incremental cost of ownership increase that number gets smaller.  Nonetheless, we will soon see a tipping point between gas/diesel trucks sales vs. BEV truck sales.  My point is that if OHAP is going to be producing BEV trucks, current conventional fuel truck production at that plant could be reassigned to other traditional plants as demand for them drops.  I also think Ford will keep ICE and BEV production in separate plants to, ah, let's just say to facilitate the inevitable..... 

Edited by 7Mary3

5 hours ago, akirby said:

Individuals don’t.  Fleets do.

It does though, I know two people with Super Duty's on order ( XLT and Tremor Lariat so not 90K but still 60K+) who currently have F-150's and were going to upsize to more easily tow their trailers (10K and 9.5K). They both decided to stay in the F150 world for their new trucks; for them it is not 20mpg to 30 mpg you're comparing but 13mpg vs 20mpg or even close to 24mpg with the Powerboost.(one went this route so he'd have the large generator mileage is a bonus) That is 10K-12K over 5 years, assuming you drive 15K drive.You also can tow that with a properly equipped F-150.   

There is nothing wrong with this type of buyer in the Super-duty range but they are more likely to forgo the size if it is going to cost them tens thousand or more over the life even though they could afford it. Also not sure why you'd even buy a 2022 90K Super Duty or even 80K F-150 as Ford has removed a lot of the luxury features because of the Chip Shortage. Platinum/KR/Limited are basically Lariats now but that is another topic.

There are drivers of Super-dutys who need the Diesel or extra power but construction contractors who just drive to and from the job site, weekend warriors and mall crawlers who could do with a F-150 or even Ranger and just like the extra size "because" they might need that payload or towing when their towing consists of a utility trailer with 5K in it or a travel trailer or boat that is 10K. Fleet and Government pricing puts Super duty's at times cheaper than F-150's and considerably cheaper than a Ranger so that drives sales of them as well. Bigger fleets that can go electric are going to go electric sooner than later, that is 30K+ in savings over the life of a vehicle, and that is each vehicle. Ford knows that everyone can't go electric (Farley said that yesterday) but there is a change happening with high gas prices. Google Searches for Pick-up trucks are down over 20% from last year, but searches for Hybrid pickup trucks are up over 80% from last year. 

Edited by jasonj80
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 7Mary3 said:

Yes, but things get worse with $8/gal. fuel (@ 12-15 m.p.g. average) and maybe a $1500/year registration cost (that goes up 10% or better every year).  Sure some will continue to buy $90,000 trucks but with each incremental cost of ownership increase that number gets smaller.  Nonetheless, we will soon see a tipping point between gas/diesel trucks sales vs. BEV truck sales.  My point is that if OHAP is going to be producing BEV trucks, current conventional fuel truck production at that plant could be reassigned to other traditional plants as demand for them drops.  I also think Ford will keep ICE and BEV production in separate plants to, ah, let's just say to facilitate the inevitable..... 

What godforsaken state do you live in where registration is $1500? 

19 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

California!  That's a worst-case scenario though.  A 10 year old truck over 10,000#'s gross is about $500/year, but a new truck would be more and I expect to see surcharges on large pickups everywhere soon.  That's how I came up with $1500/year, I can see it happening.  Of course, a large BEV truck would be a lot cheaper....... 

30 minutes ago, 7Mary3 said:

California!  That's a worst-case scenario though.  A 10 year old truck over 10,000#'s gross is about $500/year, but a new truck would be more and I expect to see surcharges on large pickups everywhere soon.  That's how I came up with $1500/year, I can see it happening.  Of course, a large BEV truck would be a lot cheaper....... 

That’s ad valorem tax not registration.  It’s just paid at registration time.

11 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Delaware, the home of no sales tax, does the same thing.

I live in NJ, where we have insane property taxes...I lived in MD for a while and while the property taxes where cheaper (roughly half what I pay now) I was coughing up an extra $2600 or so in payroll taxes, which closed the gap up to only $2K..and given how much of a shithole the county I was living is vs where I'm at now, I'd rather pay the extra $$$

Long story short-they are gonna get your money one way or another-and if not, you won't have the services you expect. 

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

you won't have the services you expect. 

Maybe I'm just jaded because I live near the most corrupt city in the most corrupt county in what is now one of the most corrupt states in the country but I expect nothing out of my tax dollars. It's all going towards padding some politician's pockets, probably Mike Duggan, or some billionaire who doesn't need handouts. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Like 1

While the IC loyalists may not be happy, this is great news- While the four old truck makers are stuck with legacy trucks whose bulbous dimensions were dictated by monster IC engines, Ford can be competitive again in medium and maybe even heavy trucks with an electric where the cab and frame can be designed first for aerodynamics and function, and the EV components placed low and out of the line of sight in the chassis spaces that IC trucks waste.