EV Problem: Mach-E Piling Up on Dealer Lots

They are taking the inventory in a point in time without any context. The churn rate is simply inventory on hand (point in time) divided by average sales volume (over time). Ford didn't produce any Mach E for 3 months and the sales volume fell as a result. And Ford started shipping them again at the end of June. So of course there is all of a sudden a glut of inventory in transit and arriving on dealer lots while average sales volume had been depressed due to previous inventory shortage. Things should even out in a couple of months.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Don't let facts get in the way of an incendiary headline about BEVs to get lots of page views. 

Very sad what passes for journalism nowadays.  The AJC did a hit piece on UGA implying they supported abuse of women and now the University has demanded a full front page retraction or they’re going to file a lawsuit.

42 minutes ago, bzcat said:

They are taking the inventory in a point in time without any context. The churn rate is simply inventory on hand (point in time) divided by average sales volume (over time). Ford didn't produce any Mach E for 3 months and the sales volume fell as a result. And Ford started shipping them again at the end of June. So of course there is all of a sudden a glut of inventory in transit and arriving on dealer lots while average sales volume had been depressed due to previous inventory shortage. Things should even out in a couple of months.

that incendiary "headline" is somewhat true to an extent... all the Hype and  Hoopla surrounding EVs has diminished by a substantial margin, they are simply NOT moving now the gleam has work off...the BEV Transits are perhaps the most glaring failure.....theres no longer people salivating for Lightnings...and now due to reduced Mach E sales they have tried to counter slow sales with rebates ( $3000 ) and Dealer incentives ....I personally had a fleet order go completely sideways on Lighnings, BEV Transits, and Mach Es due to lack of client ( it was a Rental company ) demand and absolutely abysmyl resale ( the Mach E 's they currently have they are 15k unpside down in... ) I mentioned this at the get go, do NOT put all your eggs in one basket...Ford kinda did and is now getting a reality check...the EVs losses are being subsidized by good old ICE revenue....hopefully this is a bit of a wakeup call...one needs to do things gradually and counter any market shifts with a balanced portfolio....fingers crossed...in the meantime I have 150 Mach E Selects, 65 Transit BEVs and 10 Lightnings we got stuck with that thankfully we are gradually selling wholesale to other Dealers....

Edited by Deanh
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, Deanh said:

that incendiary "headline" is somewhat true to an extent... all the Hype and  Hoopla surrounding EVs has diminished by a substantial margin, they are simply NOT moving now the gleam has work off...the BEV Transits are perhaps the most glaring failure.....theres no longer people salivating for Lightnings...and now due to reduced Mach E sales they have tried to counter slow sales with rebates ( $3000 ) and Dealer incentives ....I personally had a fleet order go completely sideways on Lighnings, BEV Transits, and Mach Es due to lack of client ( it was a Rental company ) demand and absolutely abysmyl resale ( the Mach E 's they currently have they are 15k unpside down in... ) I mentioned this at the get go, do NOT put all your eggs in one basket...Ford kinda did and is now getting a reality check...the EVs losses are being subsidized by good old ICE revenue....hopefully this is a bit of a wakeup call...one needs to do things gradually and counter any market shifts with a balanced portfolio....fingers crossed...in the meantime I have 150 Mach E Selects, 65 Transit BEVs and 10 Lightnings we got stuck with that thankfully we are gradually selling wholesale to other Dealers....

Regarding the 150 Mach E Selects, does trim matter? Are more people interested in longer range or GT models? Are you guys just not getting those higher trims? Or...?

24 minutes ago, Willwll313wll said:

Regarding the 150 Mach E Selects, does trim matter? Are more people interested in longer range or GT models? Are you guys just not getting those higher trims? Or...?

I heard it was the short range models they were having trouble with.

29 minutes ago, Willwll313wll said:

Selects/ short range are the national advertiser...cheapies, all 150 of them ( if 48k is considered cheap ) Not sure trim really matters...we have more in all trim levels literally sitting here gathering dust..as stated the gleam has worn off somewhat, same with the Lightnings ( Ill leave the vans out of the conversation because IMO they were a total F up from the get go ) ...theres just no where near the pent up furor/ demand they had when released and the Media had a new darling for a year or so....not helped by some of the GOVT subsidies being adjusted either...but Im not sure that was that much of a hot point anyways...

Edited by Deanh
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Deanh said:

Selects/ short range are the national advertiser...cheapies, all 150 of them ( if 48k is considered cheap ) Not sure trim really matters...we have more in all trim levels literally sitting here gathering dust..as stated the gleam has worn off somewhat, same with the Lightnings ( Ill leave the vans out of the conversation because IMO they were a total F up from the get go ) ...theres just no where near the pent up furor/ demand they had when released and the Media had a new darling for a year or so....not helped by some of the GOVT subsidies being adjusted either...but Im not sure that was that much of a hot point anyways...

I don’t think the massive price increases on the EVs are helping matters either.  Going from $40k to $60k on a Lightning had to be pretty harmful. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, tbone said:

I don’t think the massive price increases on the EVs are helping matters either.  Going from $40k to $60k on a Lightning had to be pretty harmful. 

heck...we only saw 2 total of the base model...everythimg since then is LOADED...as in knocking on the door of 100k...

2 hours ago, Deanh said:

...in the meantime I have 150 Mach E Selects, 65 Transit BEVs and 10 Lightnings we got stuck with that thankfully we are gradually selling wholesale to other Dealers....

7 minutes ago, Deanh said:

heck...we only saw 2 total of the base model...everythimg since then is LOADED...as in knocking on the door of 100k...

Heck brother, you sending them my way?

Hahaha, HRG

Mach E inventory 20 miles.JPG

Edited by HotRunrGuy

28 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Heck brother, you sending them my way?

Hahaha, HRG

Mach E inventory 20 miles.JPG

LMAO...ironically a few local Dealers have been stepping up.....not making Ford Corporate too happy as no ones taking any that are offered by their Zone Reps at wholesale...bwahahahahaha.....

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Deanh said:

LMAO...ironically a few local Dealers have been stepping up.....not making Ford Corporate too happy as no ones taking any that are offered by their Zone Reps at wholesale...bwahahahahaha.....

Not surprising considering that, traditionally, most of the Zone Managers' responsibilities is trying to sell inventory to their dealerships. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, bzcat said:

Thank you for the explanation bzcat. Also, Ford confirmed that more than half of unsold Mustang Mach-E inventory had an "in-transit" status at the end of June.

Edited by rperez817

I have a friend who works at a dealership that is confirming that they have a lighting on the lot for a few months now and a couple Mach Es on the lot without any one calling about them.

I have to go to the dealership I got mine tomorrow for an oil change, I'll see how they are doing with them.

9 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I have a friend who works at a dealership that is confirming that they have a lighting on the lot for a few months now and a couple Mach Es on the lot without any one calling about them.

That may be a result of customers who reserved those Lightnings and Mustang Mach-Es, got tired of waiting of Ford to actually build and deliver them, then cancelled their reservations and defected to another BEV manufacturer who was able to deliver product sooner. The Autoblog article in the OP said "many prospective EV customers have made multiple reservations with the plan of taking whichever vehicle arrived first." Electric-Car Buyers Make Multiple Orders, Take Whichever's Built First (businessinsider.com)

3 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

That may be a result of customers who reserved those Lightnings and Mustang Mach-Es, got tired of waiting of Ford to actually build and deliver them, then cancelled their reservations and defected to another BEV manufacturer who was able to deliver product sooner. The Autoblog article in the OP said "many prospective EV customers have made multiple reservations with the plan of taking whichever vehicle arrived first." Electric-Car Buyers Make Multiple Orders, Take Whichever's Built First (businessinsider.com)

That would make sense with the incentives that are on them that some states have. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I have to go to the dealership I got mine tomorrow for an oil change, I'll see how they are doing with them.

I was at my dealer the other day to inquire about my trade in in a few months  (lol that ain’t happening right now but that’s another story) and they had multiple Mach-E’s, including at least 1 GT, and a lightning. By the sounds of it same story, not many calls about them at the moment. 

The other dealer I drive by every day have had the same Lightning front and center on their lot for 2 months now, and I’m fairly sure it’s not their demo. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Like 1

• ice-capades changed the title to EV Problem: Mach-E Piling Up on Dealer Lots
2 hours ago, rperez817 said:

nope...at least not in our case....fleet order aside, fresh inventory....stock orders, only a couple of Retail orders where customer pulled out.

Stock orders for EV's is a mistake. Ford should be working to a Tesla style model where you order what you want and they either have it at the factory ready to ship or build it within 6 weeks. Sending stock inventory (any more than 1 or two demo units) to dealers isn't what EV buyers are used to. The other issue is that pricing is way to high and the change to the tax incentives didn't help.  Tesla manages their inventory by offering steep discounts if you are willing to take something they have sitting in their holding lots instead of the specific configuration that you wanted.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Flying68 said:

Sending stock inventory…to dealers...

VS

…take something they have sitting in their holding lots instead of the specific configuration that you wanted.

Isn’t this a distinction without a difference?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Flying68 said:

Stock orders for EV's is a mistake. Ford should be working to a Tesla style model where you order what you want and they either have it at the factory ready to ship or build it within 6 weeks. Sending stock inventory (any more than 1 or two demo units) to dealers isn't what EV buyers are used to. The other issue is that pricing is way to high and the change to the tax incentives didn't help.  Tesla manages their inventory by offering steep discounts if you are willing to take something they have sitting in their holding lots instead of the specific configuration that you wanted.

This is the company telling us that the have customer orders up the whazoo in US as well as Europe.

I mean, that was the whole reason that Ford put the third shift on….

1 hour ago, Flying68 said:

Stock orders for EV's is a mistake. Ford should be working to a Tesla style model where you order what you want and they either have it at the factory ready to ship or build it within 6 weeks. Sending stock inventory (any more than 1 or two demo units) to dealers isn't what EV buyers are used to. 

That's exactly correct Flying68. Jim Farley has mentioned many times to dealers and to automotive industry journalists that Ford Model e will embrace a "build to order" model for BEV. Ford Plans New Build-To-Order System To Reduce The Cost Of Electric Cars - CleanTechnica

Hopefully the example from Deanh's dealership regarding stock orders for BEV is a fluke.