Ford Mustang 4 door sport sedan. Is happening

Posted (edited)

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/four-door-ford-mustang-super-saloon-pipeline

“We will never build a Mustang that isn’t a Mustang,” he insisted. “For instance, there will never be room for a small, two-row Ford SUV with a Mustang badge stuck on it. But could we do other Mustang body forms – a four-door or whatever? I believe we could, as long as these models have all the performance and attitude of the original.”
Future Mustangs are likely to offer hybrid power, to reduce carbon emissions and to improve performance.

Some surprises: “One thing I can promise, however, is that we will never make an all-electric Mustang,” added Farley

We will see…

IMG_0574.jpeg

Edited by .I.
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, .I. said:

https://www.motor1.com/news/719992/ford-boss-not-ruling-out-mustang-sedan/

The big surprise here is: NO ELECTRIC MUSTANG COUPE.

Sure?  

They'll make an ICE power Mustang as long as they can but once the "jig is up" with ICE in the next 10-15 years, they'll be forced to make an EV of it.

But another way to look at this is that the Mustang is basically using a heavily modified platform that is now 20 years old for another 10-15 years from now. It would make zero sense to spend a massive amount of money on the S650 since keeping it the same would make it profitable. Not sure how much impact that would be to make it into a sedan though, but I'd expect it lean heavily into the current platform to keep costs down. 

Just to put this in perspective-I sat in a 2017 Mustang when my wife was buying her Escape and the seating position and touch points where identical to my 2006 Mustang. I'm going to assume the 2024 is pretty much the same thing. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

They'll make an ICE power Mustang as long as they can but once the "jig is up" with ICE in the next 10-15 years, they'll be forced to make an EV of it.

But another way to look at this is that the Mustang is basically using a heavily modified platform that is now 20 years old for another 10-15 years from now. It would make zero sense to spend a massive amount of money on the S650 since keeping it the same would make it profitable. Not sure how much impact that would be to make it into a sedan though, but I'd expect it lean heavily into the current platform to keep costs down. 

Just to put this in perspective-I sat in a 2017 Mustang when my wife was buying her Escape and the seating position and touch points where identical to my 2006 Mustang. I'm going to assume the 2024 is pretty much the same thing. 

Yup, the new one is more or less a rebody of the  '15-23. 

1 hour ago, Footballfan said:

Perhaps this is the mystery Flat Rock product????

If it’s a sedan of any kind then it has to be Flat Rock.

IF there is a sedan coming, it would be made possible by 3 things:

Free capacity at Flat Rock

A heavily amortized Mustang platform making development cheap

A market void left by Charger, but don’t expect cheap pricing like Charger.  This will be a semi premium product.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

If Ford's smart, they'll develop a new platform for s750 that follows the same path as the upcoming charger, just with a V8 instead of an I6. A competitive platform that can accommodate hybrids, EVs, and ICE for years to come, hedging bets against any direction the industry swings in while appealing to enthusiasts. 

Edited by DeluxeStang
  • Like 2

Now this is the kind of Ford news that gets me excited. As a car enthusiast, I hear things about upcoming heavy duty commercial trucks plans and it's like whatever, but whenever Ford talks about the future of the mustang and instantly I'm invested. 

A mustang sedan is a no brainer. It'll probably never happen, but I'd love to see a mid engine mustang called the mustang Cobra with a starting price of 80 grand or so and 500 hp, with faster, more expensive trims as well. 

Ford says an EV mustang coupe won't happen, I respectfully disagree, they just got to make it happen in the right way. Leveraging Ford's affordable EV platform, I could see a compact sporty hatchback that takes styling cues from the foxbody. A vehicle that would appeal to people on multiple fronts, bringing back a Ford hatchback, offering an EV mustang, and offering a mustang that's smaller, cheaper, less powerful, but more nimble than the current car. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DeluxeStang said:

I believe Fuzzy indicated whatever that was, it wasn't a mustang sedan. Someone said mustang sedan, and he was like nah. 

Of course we all know how often Ford likes to change plans in recent years. 

I haven’t heard shit about that mystery program in some time, BTW. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DeluxeStang said:

Now this is the kind of Ford news that gets me excited. As a car enthusiast, I hear things about upcoming heavy duty commercial trucks plans and it's like whatever, but whenever Ford talks about the future of the mustang and instantly I'm invested. 

A mustang sedan is a no brainer. It'll probably never happen, but I'd love to see a mid engine mustang called the mustang Cobra with a starting price of 80 grand or so and 500 hp, with faster, more expensive trims as well. 

Ford says an EV mustang coupe won't happen, I respectfully disagree, they just got to make it happen in the right way. Leveraging Ford's affordable EV platform, I could see a compact sporty hatchback that takes styling cues from the foxbody. A vehicle that would appeal to people on multiple fronts, bringing back a Ford hatchback, offering an EV mustang, and offering a mustang that's smaller, cheaper, less powerful, but more nimble than the current car. 

D-Stang.

Like what? Did someone at Ford suddenly wake up to what the "commercial market" is???😎

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

If Ford's smart, they'll develop a new platform for s750 that follows the same path as the upcoming charger, just with a V8 instead of an I6. A competitive platform that can accommodate hybrids, EVs, and ICE for years to come, hedging bets against any direction the industry swings in while appealing to enthusiasts. 

In a way S650 already did that with changes to the floor pan to permit hybrid battery  mounting.

The addition of a four door is a tricky one because it begs the question 4-door sedan or 4-door coupe?

At some point, concessions for a four door would turn the Mustang into a “Falcon”, not a bad thing…

Another consideration is that  a longer wheelbase gets a better break under CAFE.

Random question, would it be easier to change the latest C2 Mondeo to RWD configuration by using

Mustang front crash protection cell and RWD powertrains 2.3 EB and Coyote V8……just a thought…

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

In a way S650 already did that with changes to the floor pan to permit hybrid battery  mounting.

The addition of a four door is a tricky one because it begs the question 4-door sedan or 4-door coupe?

At some point, concessions for a four door would turn the Mustang into a “Falcon”, not a bad thing…

Another consideration is that  a longer wheelbase gets a better break under CAFE.

Random question, would it be easier to change the latest C2 Mondeo to RWD configuration by using

Mustang front crash protection cell and RWD powertrains 2.3 EB and Coyote V8……just a thought…

I mean hey, if that's a wink and a nudge that a mustang sedan could take the form of a RWD fusion with a V8, I'll take it. Hopefully they'll tweak the exterior styling, give it a longer hood with sleeker from end styling. The latest sedan already looks a bit like a mustang so maybe this was the plan all along. 

• Like 1

I was under the impression that the crash cell (aka Passenger compartment) was the long pole in the tent when it came to crash test performance, not sure how much of a C2 would be able to be used due to the transmission tunnel that a RWD product needs. 

Dusting off maybe the CD6 from the Explorer might be a better bet, plus doesn't the S650 use much of the same harnesses and electronics as the Explorer?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ANTAUS said:

RWD sedan with a V8...why not spread the resources and make a proper Continental from it too....

I don't see a V8 landing with the modern Lincoln crowd. But swap the V8 for some sort of smooth hybrid system and I think you'd be onto something. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

I was under the impression that the crash cell (aka Passenger compartment) was the long pole in the tent when it came to crash test performance, not sure how much of a C2 would be able to be used due to the transmission tunnel that a RWD product needs. 

Dusting off maybe the CD6 from the Explorer might be a better bet, plus doesn't the S650 use much of the same harnesses and electronics as the Explorer?

I am no expert in this but I have read that

Around 70% of the forward crash protection development work involves the engine bay crash absorption 

and force vectoring but equally  the passenger compartment is also important as it needs to withstand

crash forces in all directions, sides, top (rollover) and rear end hit.

Yes, a full CD6 Mustang was considered too expensive but its electrics  and floorpan / hybrid battery

made S650 affordable. I guess your point on CD6 begs the question of how far advanced the sedan

was before axing.

Ford has many options and  they work out every possible permutation and crunch the numbers but so far,

nothing has really come back as a strong business case. This four door RWD rumour seems to gain legs

every few years and then disappears again.

On 5/17/2024 at 8:35 AM, DeluxeStang said:

#1, Is there any talk about upcoming heavy duty commercial truck plans?  Some of us do find that interesting!

#2, Totally agree.  But if you want over a 500 H.P. mid-engine sports car under $80,000 just buy a Corvette.  I don't think there is room for two competitors in that market.  Keep the Mustang a Mustang, don't turn it into a Corvette wannabe.

#3, Farley says an EV Mustang coupe won't happen.  Probably safe for him to say, because WHEN an EV Mustang coupe does debut, Farley will be the CEO of some EV startup or a tier 2 supplier.......  

Posted (edited)

More mixed messaging from Ford.

“For instance, there will never be room for a small, two-row Ford SUV with a Mustang badge stuck on it."  What does Farley think the Mach-E is?  A Mustang EV coupe is a more pure form for the Mustang brand than the Mach-E is, yet that is a no-no now?

I am glad to hear Ford reconsidering a sedan (again), but seriously--don't call it a Mustang if you are worried about watering down the brand.  Thunderbird would be a perfectly fine name for a sporty sedan.

It's really frustrating as a shareholder to see Ford with no real focused path forward.  They have been completely reactionary over the last year.  All this flip flopping just wastes time and resources getting product to market.

Edited by mustang84isu