Ford Fusion spied in souped-up ST trim

They mentioned Lincoln-exclusive powertrains years ago, but the EBs were always intended to be high-volume mills. Before the EB35 hit the roads, Ford was talking about the EB engine family comprising a very large percentage of Ford's engine production (over half, IIRC), which couldn't happen if they were to be exclusive to Lincoln.

Yeah, I remember they said that and then the Lincolns got a the 3.7 instead of a 3.5. And then the powertrains became the same again.

IMHO.. Ford needs a car that will match the new Camaro's AWD package. It does not appear the Mustang will be in this race.

2.7EB or 3.5EB in the AWD Fusion can not come fast enough.

AWD Camaro? Huh?

In reality it wouldn't be a bad idea to consider an AWD mustang. Would greatly increase livability for wet states.

Yeah, I remember they said that and then the Lincolns got a the 3.7 instead of a 3.5. And then the powertrains became the same again.

My guess is that they wanted a Lincoln-exclusive mill, but Lincoln's anemic sales have left them without enough volume to justify the exclusivity. With the Conti going to China, they may get enough volume out of the EB30 to keep it exclusive. (As I understand it, 3.0 liters has been the magic number for the Chinese market due to government restrictions on displacement, though I don't recall the details--or even know if that's still true.)

Edited by SoonerLS

Well I mean, if its pumping out 400HP, how many vehicles can it be placed into...Navi, Expy, F150...(later two, then suddenly its not a Lincoln exclusive-but the sheer number would make it worthwhile.).

And then what would the 3.5L EB be brought up to if it's follows the same "massaging". We are talking about 400HP from just 3 Liters, so 3.5L would give you what, 450HP...at that point you would have to wonder if the Mustang and F150 really need a V8.

So many things to ponder...

Is this 3.0 a bigger 2.7(cgi/al), a smaller 3.5 (al), or something else?

Bigger 2.7L I believe.

I don't think the 3.0L will necessarily be Lincoln exclusive, but Lincoln exclusive by vehicle family. For instance, Conti gets the 3.0L, Taurus (if we get it) gets the 2.7L, MKX gets the 3.0L, but the Edge gets 2.7L. Aviator gets the 3.5L, Explorer gets the 3.0L. Similar to the way the 3.7L/3.5L were.

It seems likely the 3.0 and the new 3.5 are nanos. It doesn't make sense for Ford to develop 2 new V-6 engine families at basically the same time.

The new 3.5L is just an improved 3.5L Ecoboost with improvements like PFI added to them to generate 500-600HP+. The current block can go north of 400HP with no issues with a tune (well maybe not meet Fords internal targets with durability) and 93 octane gas. Once you go higher, you need additional fuel (lots of tuners running into issues with the eco 3.5L over 500HP due to the fuel system)

The 2.7 and 3.0L Ecoboost are the same family with the CGI blocks.

The bigger engines are just longer stroke (new heads) not new bores (costs too much)

Which is interesting when you consider the bore and stroke of the 3.5 is oversquare (bigger bore than stroke)

I thought that a square engine (equal bore and stroke ) gives way better properties in Ecoboost conditions.as e

xampled by the 2.7, so maybe going undersquare with a longer stroke suits Ecoboost even more so..

Bigger 2.7L I believe.

I don't think the 3.0L will necessarily be Lincoln exclusive, but Lincoln exclusive by vehicle family. For instance, Conti gets the 3.0L, Taurus (if we get it) gets the 2.7L, MKX gets the 3.0L, but the Edge gets 2.7L. Aviator gets the 3.5L, Explorer gets the 3.0L. Similar to the way the 3.7L/3.5L were.

I think 3.0 EB will be Lincoln exclusive. This is how I see it happen:

Continental will get 3.0 EB as launch vehicle.

MKX will get an upgrade to 3.0 EB rather soon.

The current Explorer base engine is 3.5 V6, which will go away eventually. So I see the mid-level optional engine (i.e. for non-Sport and non-Platinum models) being the 2.7 EB when the next generation shows up: base 2.3 EB, optional 2.7EB, Sport/Platinum 3.5 EB. That means Aviator will likely receive the 3.0 EB as base engine and 3.5 EB as optional engine.

Similarly, the next generation Expedition will lose several hundred lbs so the base engine will probably be 2.7 EB and the 3.5 EB will be optional. This sets up Navigator to receive the 3.0 EB as base engine (3.5 EB optional).

And if Ford wants to go really crazy, I'm ready for that 3.0 EB MKC hot rod... :shift:

Edited by bzcat