UAW Demands 46% Pay Hike

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I’ve seen numerous instances of there being too many cooks in the kitchen and nothing getting accomplished because of it. 

Instances where no one wants to act for fear of facing blame. Seen some promoted who did little but talked a good game. For me, I wanted to feel I did something at the end of the day. Hearing you are on skilled trades apprenticeship, certainly you get a lot of advise from bosses and engineers. 

1 hour ago, paintguy said:

Seen some promoted who did little but talked a good game. 

That seems to be the Ford Way. Rather than address lack of skills (and sometimes downright incompetence) we promote/transfer less qualified or lower performing employees and make them someone else's problem. Seen it numerous times throughout the years... both hourly and salary.

Edited by hllywd
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

It's one thing to fight to get the best contract and job security for your membership including using the tool of the strike.  It is another to appear that all you want to do is take a wrecking ball to the companies.  I admit that this century UAW leadership has been less than bold in some instances, but like everything else in our extremist society the pendulum has swung too far the other way. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hllywd said:

That seems to be the Ford Way. Rather than address lack of skills (and sometimes downright incompetence) we promote/transfer less qualified or lower performing employees and make them someone else's problem. Seen it numerous times throughout the years... both hourly and salary.

I know of Ford retirees that have literally had the bank vault opened to them to come back and clean up these folk's messes.  

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Give them one week to accept the last proposals and stop the strikes or tell the union to go F themselves, lock them out and start hiring back the ones willing to work with an immediate 20% raise.  

• Like 7

3 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

This GM statement says it all and Ford and Stellantis have similar views;

• The statement added that the leaked information "calls into question who is actually in charge of UAW strategy and shows a callous disregard for the seriousness of what is at stake. UAW leadership needs to put the interests of its members and the country over their own ideological and personal agendas."

Hopefully the UAW membership has the smarts to recognize...what is reasonable,? and when is someone building what he perceives as his "brand".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gurgeh said:

Initially I was disappointed that the 2024 Nautilus I have on order wasn't going to be made in North America by union labor. Now, I'm kind of glad that it won't be. Though the Canadian union doesn't seem to have gone nuts like the UAW.

It seems as though the UAW and Ford are making progress. No further Ford plants are being added to the strike list. Just watching Shawn Fain now he said ford is the only company willing to bargain and they’re making progress. GM and Stellantis are gonna get hit at many facilities seemingly parts and powertrain. Unifor online ratification tmw 9am. I will give information when possible. Although we are getting EVs I’m still disappointed the Edge is going and Nautilus coming from China. 

Edited by Oacjay98
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, Gurgeh said:

Initially I was disappointed that the 2024 Nautilus I have on order wasn't going to be made in North America by union labor. Now, I'm kind of glad that it won't be. Though the Canadian union doesn't seem to have gone nuts like the UAW.

As prices continue going up, less and less people will care where a vehicle is made. If the quality is there, it gets really hard to justify the increased price just because something is made in America.

Ford is playing this well- By making progress in negotiations they've set the terms of the contracts GM and Stelantis will have to agree too, but without the expense and disruption of a larger strike. Ford has figured out that inflation is raising the wage floor, may as well go along with UAW's reasonable demands and avoid the drama GM and Stelantis are inviting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

Ford is playing this well- By making progress in negotiations they've set the terms of the contracts GM and Stelantis will have to agree too, but without the expense and disruption of a larger strike. Ford has figured out that inflation is raising the wage floor, may as well go along with UAW's reasonable demands and avoid the drama GM and Stelantis are inviting.

Which instead of setting a target strike company that was the usual in "pattern" , Mr. Fsain thought he would inflict pain on all three with strategic targets.

Guess what...looks like the end result will be a "pattern" settlement.

2 hours ago, T-dubz said:

Why is the NLRB not investigating the union? Seems to me they are the ones not bargaining in good faith.

Using hardball tactics is not necessarily the same as refusing to bargain in good faith.

I'm not saying the union is right in choosing this path - leadership still seems to believe it's 1965, and GM, Ford, Chrysler and AMC have 91 percent of the new vehicle market - but saying that the use of hardball tactics proves bad faith would be tough for the board to swallow. 

Edited by grbeck