All Electric Ford F-150 Lightning to be revealed on May 19 at 930 pm ET

On 5/16/2021 at 2:20 PM, falconlover 1 said:

Is the screen of a big truck (you can see the picture of the vehicle at the top of the screen). Of course, the screen is large, very large.  Is the Lightning interior. 

Yes

4 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

I'm going to assume that Ford is going to have multiple levels of the Lightning or will it be just the Halo/Sport model of the F-150 BEV?

I'd assume that Ford would have a model they could sell to fleets and what not that would be in the $50-60K range and the Lightning itself would be the stupid fast/long range Super Truck.  

I won't be surprised if at launch it's just high end models.  But long term, I'm sure it'll have trims.  Unless they truly want to offer an "all of the above" at launch.

4 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I won't be surprised if at launch it's just high end models.  But long term, I'm sure it'll have trims.  Unless they truly want to offer an "all of the above" at launch.

I disagree.  If anything I think we’ll see the low end models first, targeted at businesses like the E Transit.  Hopefully they have all versions ready to go at launch.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, akirby said:

I disagree.  If anything I think we’ll see the low end models first, targeted at businesses like the E Transit.  Hopefully they have all versions ready to go at launch.

No one knows their truck customers better than Ford. I think Ford will address all the market segments with the F-150 Lightning series, as opposed to the other OEM's that are only targeting the high end of the market. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Anthony said:

I hope it is not a halo model a la the Hummer.  If they really want to see widespread adoption of their electric portfolio, they need the price to be somewhat in the ballpark of their ICE counterparts and not only have ridiculously appointed models be electrified...

Lightning is for sure some sort of halo model. Ford knows EV will be the future of F-150 so they can't abandon the fundamental F-150 brand with transition to EV.

The regular models should just be called F-150. Period. It will just be a drivetrain option like checking the box for 2.7 EB or 5.0 V8. You'll get a couple more choices: single motor EV, dual motor EV etc. Lightning is going to be like Raptor... reserved for extra money performance models. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, bzcat said:

Lightning is for sure some sort of halo model. Ford knows EV will be the future of F-150 so they can't abandon the fundamental F-150 brand with transition to EV.

The regular models should just be called F-150. Period. It will just be a drivetrain option like checking the box for 2.7 EB or 5.0 V8. You'll get a couple more choices: single motor EV, dual motor EV etc. Lightning is going to be like Raptor... reserved for extra money performance models. 

I hope you're right

3 hours ago, bzcat said:

You could be right but they still need a name for the basic EV models so what will they call them?  They have Powerboost for the hybrid.

5 minutes ago, akirby said:

You could be right but they still need a name for the basic EV models so what will they call them?  They have Powerboost for the hybrid.

I'm also known to be quite wrong when I try to predict what Ford will do ?

We'll find out in 2 days what is the real plan for Lightning. 

I’m guessing all of them will be lightnings, but with themes similar to the bronco and bronco sport to differentiate the various trims, power and range.  The affordable base and mid models along with the requisite first edition will be available first, followed by the performance/halo model similar to the Mach E launch.

6 hours ago, blazerdude20 said:

What do we think the chances are we get a decent look at the Frunk this week?  Curious if they integrated any of those patents into a useable space upfront. 

If they're revealing it, I can't see why they wouldn't show it off.

5 hours ago, akirby said:

Unknown, but Ford Electron has a ring to it and fits in with their "E" SUV naming scheme.

If they're determined to throw Edge away, Electron could be a neat name for an EV replacement.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Anthony said:

I hope it is not a halo model a la the Hummer.  If they really want to see widespread adoption of their electric portfolio, they need the price to be somewhat in the ballpark of their ICE counterparts and not only have ridiculously appointed models be electrified...

What I would hope is it's offered in several trim levels, probably starting at Lariat, with a base price of somewhere in the $60-70k range. Let's not forget BEVs have not achieved price parity with ICE vehicles yet. 

https://www.onlineev.com/biden-to-pitch-his-174-bln-electric-vehicle-plan-in-michigan/?fbclid=IwAR3u2u3fKwws3urNPPRP67zIrMJxOH-8TEKOxLnYSGA9gZ5Mk9ksFx-Ggl4

Biden touring today and doing press conference, likely with new incentives (interesting as some have suggested they may be for US production only). Guess they’ll have the Lightning under wraps? Can’t imagine they’ll spoil tomorrow’s reveal. Too bad they couldn’t get him to wait a couple days. 

On 5/16/2021 at 8:10 PM, rmc523 said:

Borg posted this at GMI with no info as to where it came from:

img_2898-jpg.63652

Is the screen of a big truck (you can see the picture of the vehicle at the top of the screen). Of course, the screen is large, very large.  Is the Lightning interior. 

53BDBC13-4002-40D3-8EBC-AD28757416F9.jpeg

4 minutes ago, 02MustangGT said:

A whip antenna?  Lol

Hopefully the production version of BEV F-150 Lightning will use a shorty or sharkfin radio antenna. Putting an old fashioned fender mounted whip antenna on a modern, hi tech BEV like F-150 Lightning is weird.

1. Couldn't Ford supply a red Lightning for the photo op in front of a giant American flag? Come on guys... that's is so basic. Who mess this one up? ?

2. The chassis looks a ladder frame similar  to (maybe same as?) regular F-150, not a skateboard like setup like Rivian or Hummer.

3. The sneak peak doesn't scream high performance model like Raptor. Seems very pedestrian which is good I suppose... it means Ford is serious about selling volume not window dressing. (And probably busts my prediction that Lightning is a high performance model - it will probably be the name for all EV F-150)

Lots of room upfront for a frunk, which we know is coming. Ford is trying to keep the form factor familiar to buyers so F-150 Lightning is keeping the same shape as regular F-150. But clearly, there is a lot of room to rethink how pickup trucks could look like in the future. Also, imagine using this chassis for other vehicles and the freedom of not needing a huge front crumple zone to protect the occupants from engine. 

e1sjjmawqaiowaq-jpeg.90920

Edited by bzcat