PREMiERdrum

Lincoln to introduce 4 new battery electric vehicles starting next year

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Since Ford has announced a BEV Explorer coming, I would imagine that the first Lincoln BEV will be an Aviator. The second a BEV Nautilus. After that, who knows. I would think Lincoln has a fifth vehicle coming to its lineup in next couple years. 

Timing wise, the first BEV Lincoln is going to be Nautilus replacement. The midsize BEV that was supposed to be build in Ohio in 2022 (2023 model year) but now in Mexico. 

Followed by Corsair EV in Canada in 2023 (2024 model year), which has already been confirmed.

Ford hasn't said where the Explorer size EV will be build. With Nautilus and Corsair, they are keeping the existing ICE model going in a different plant. I imagine that is the plan too with Explorer and Aviator but all the plants are busy with products already except for Flat Rock... and we know Flat Rock can't build SUVs. 

Edited by bzcat

3 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

Since Ford has announced a BEV Explorer coming, I would imagine that the first Lincoln BEV will be an Aviator. The second a BEV Nautilus. After that, who knows. I would think Lincoln has a fifth vehicle coming to its lineup in next couple years. 

It remains to be seen if Lincoln will use the Ford approach to naming new models (i.e. Aviator ______ a la Mustang Mach E or Bronco _____)

Also a little bit confused by the video showing a 10 speed transmission unless said model will also be offered as an ICE/PHEV?

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, bzcat said:

Timing wise, the first BEV Lincoln is going to be Nautilus replacement. The midsize BEV that was supposed to be build in Ohio in 2022 (2023 model year) but now in Mexico. 

Followed by Corsair EV in Canada in 2023 (2024 model year), which has already been confirmed.

Ford hasn't said where the Explorer size EV will be build. With Nautilus and Corsair, they are keeping the existing ICE model going in a different plant. I imagine that is the plan too with Explorer and Aviator but all the plants are busy with products already except for Flat Rock... and we know Flat Rock can't build SUVs. 

How about this,  

2-row mid sized twins are Edge / Aviator,  3-row mid sized twins are Explorer/Aviator

What if Explorer/ Aviator is on GE2 at Cuautitlan and Edge/Nautilus is on MQB at OAC?

Theres a lot of intel coming out that the three row mid size BEVs will be built first and at Mexico.

If that’s so, it would make sense to have Edge/Nautilus, Escape/ Corsair and BEV car at OAC and on MQB.

Edited by jpd80

4 hours ago, jpd80 said:

How about this,  

2-row mid sized twins are Edge / Aviator,  3-row mid sized twins are Explorer/Aviator

What if Explorer/ Aviator is on GE2 at Cuautitlan and Edge/Nautilus is on MQB at OAC?

Theres a lot of intel coming out that the three row mid size BEVs will be built first and at Mexico.

If that’s so, it would make sense to have Edge/Nautilus, Escape/ Corsair and BEV car at OAC and on MQB.

This conflicts with what Ford have announced about G2 and MQB (not that Ford couldn't change plans on a dime). MQB has been announced as Europe-only; GE2 would be used for all 4 products you mention, as detailed here: 

1 hour ago, Harley Lover said:

This conflicts with what Ford have announced about G2 and MQB (not that Ford couldn't change plans on a dime). MQB has been announced as Europe-only; GE2 would be used for all 4 products you mention, as detailed here: 

Ford also previously said Oakville with be building MEB (Escape/Corsair) so their plans changes daily...

I think Edge/Nautilus is GE2 at Cuautitlan.

I think Explorer/Aviator is also GE2 but Ford doesn't know where to build it yet.

Also don't forget Ford also confirmed it will sell a Rivian build vehicle under the Ford brand. Probably a truck but no one knows for sure. 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Harley Lover said:

I misspoke regarding MQB when I meant the Oakville MEBs

Lightning is on the new TE1, which will hopefully bring forth BEV Expedition and Navigator.

That leaves us GE2 for Explorer/Aviator as I suspect that like the cancelled CD6 Edge/Nautilus, the BEV versions also have cost issues that prevent the use of GE2 for the intended starting price….Especially if they impinge on Mustang Mach E product space in term of relative size, price and ability. They might want to give MME four or five years of clean air to see what sales it gets….

I could be completely wrong on the above but the priority seems to be the three row mid sized utilities, something Ford can charge a lot more for and also way more popular than mid sized two row utilities.

Edited by jpd80

On 6/16/2021 at 8:29 AM, Black Label said:

Are a lot of people demanding electric vehicles to drive this sort of announcement? I know I'm not. 

I recently saw an article that states 20% of those that bought electric in California switched back to gas because of the hassle charging an EV.

44 minutes ago, MKX1960 said:

I recently saw an article that states 20% of those that bought electric in California switched back to gas because of the hassle charging an EV.

Yes but it’s only 4,000 people and mostly Fiat 500e owners.

1 hour ago, MKX1960 said:

23 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Yes but it’s only 4,000 people and mostly Fiat 500e owners.

Link to the study. Discontinuance Among California’s Electric Vehicle Buyers: Why are Some Consumers Abandoning Electric Vehicles? (escholarship.org)

brand.PNG

24 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Interesting read.  Females were more likely to discontinue ownership than males.  At least a fair number of those that discontinued ownership were open to purchasing one in the future.  There may have been other issues with the vehicle not just it was PEV.  

Infrastructure, particularly easy charging at home will be important.  Housing typically has at least a 30 year life expectancy, yet I’m not seeing widespread inclusion of charging capacity for all residents.  It will be tough to reach the numbers expected by 2030.

Posted (edited)

Some companies are skipping over hybrids and PHEVs because they think BEVs are cheaper to make

and buyers will immediately flock to them. They miss the problem of charging infrastructure build up

taking time to mature. While that happens in the next decade, educating buyers to the virtues of the

blended hybrid and PHEVs will pay off big time. Yes, Ford has good EVs on the way but they are to

add sales, not just replace existing ICEs, well, not right away………all the other hybrids and PHEVs are

becoming what folks are warming to without giving up the range security and fast refill of gasoline,

so all of them are needed to move things forward.

Edited by jpd80