2017(?) Aluminum Expedition Spotted Testing

That's based on the tune for the Mustang.

Like all V8s that have been shared between cars and trucks, I don't see how the 5.2 can't be made truck worthy.

This engine won't be shared by a car and a truck. The point of the flat plane crank is high RPM horsepower, not low RPM torque. The purpose of this engine was never meant to be developing low end torque, like a truck needs.

Edited by Harley Lover

This engine won't be shared by a car and a truck. The point of the flat plane crank is high RPM horsepower, not low RPM torque. The purpose of this engine was never meant to be developing low end torque, like a truck needs.

Performance truck, like the Escalade-V that's coming. Who cares how much a performance vehicle can tow?

• Like 1

I already said that. :)

Performance truck, like the Escalade-V that's coming. Who cares how much a performance vehicle can tow?

It's not so much about towing as it is about getting the mass moving. It takes the torque to get the heavy SUV moving.

Plus, look back at Ford's past performance trucks. Ford has been known to allow you to have fun at speed, or hook up a boat to tow to the lake. They have done an excellent job making their performance trucks versatile and not just a one trick pony.

IIRC, the same was said of the original 4.6.

IMO, if you are putting a prime engine in a Navi that is to compete with the Range Rover and Cayenne, you don't want a stump pulling engine. Torque curve gets lowered in rpm band, but not to F150 levels.

Edited by J-150

That makes sense. The next Expy should basically look like a larger Explorer, not an F150 wagon.

I hope that the new Expedition carves out a styling trail that is very different from the Explorer. The Explorer looks generic and uninspired to my eyes. It's proliferation as a law enforcement vehicle further solidifies it's plain-jane styling. Most full-size SUV's, including the extremely salient Suburban (which looks way more upscale than the Traverse), look a lot different than their CUV brethren.

I see the modern technology and materials in the next Expedition as deserving of distinctive styling. It's also likely to be on the market for about a decade before the next major update occurs. The Expedition can set a styling course for a better Explorer in the future. That seems better than suppressing it to not upstage the Explorer we now know all too well. I also hope they unshackle the Expedition from the F150's door skins. Sharing door skins would limit a lot of what they could do with the styling. Again, the Chevy competitors have unique door skins.

Edited by TBirdStangSkyliner
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

It definitely appears to be a cobbled together hodge podge of parts - kinda of an interesting effort however based on that absolutely no exterior clues of the final product beyond it's a 4 door liftgate full size SUV made by ford can be taken from this photo, that is probably why the "camoflauge" is not the usual stuff designed to cause migraines when stared at for too long.

• 1 month later...

Here's a new round of spy shots, showing a different front end:

2018%20Expedition%20-%20front_zpse4lh5e7

2018%20Expedition-close%20front_zpsiua9x

2018%20Expedition%20-%20profile_zpshtfxu

Ignore the comments about the Navigator - clearly they're idiots as Lincoln said there won't be any gullwing doors - but here's the motorweek video (I don't know how to embed it):

Edited by rmc523
  • Like 1

Hmm.. those actually give a little more away than they usually do... notched-corner grille and complex element projector headlamps that appear to be unique. Happy to see they seem to be protecting the proportion of the 1-2-3 lines down the profile, instead of following GM in the odd sill/window/roof proportion.

Hmm.. those actually give a little more away than they usually do... notched-corner grille and complex element projector headlamps that appear to be unique. Happy to see they seem to be protecting the proportion of the 1-2-3 lines down the profile, instead of following GM in the odd sill/window/roof proportion.

I don't see projector headlights in there.

If this looks anything like the bastardized Navigator,or a bigger Explorer, I just don't see the point... Just kill it already Ford.

But I guess we said the Same thing when they womanized the Explorer, and then the Escape... And we all know how that turned out.

Edited by probowler

Is it me or is that a just a F-150 Front end on it with a different Grill? The headlights look identical to the F-150. Its not a bad thing IMO.

The uncovered shot is, but that's an older photo. I expect the Expy to be less rugged and more 'pretty' in the front than the butch F150.

Is it me or is that a just a F-150 Front end on it with a different Grill? The headlights look identical to the F-150. Its not a bad thing IMO.

Even on the new spy shots I can't tell...sometimes it does look like just a more heavily covered F-150 front, but sometimes I see a more Edge styled grille.

Exactly.

Expedition has to be more than just a Crew Cab F150 with a covered back because Ford will be

looking to grow combined sales instead of just trading some current F150 Crew cab sales.

This will become another new "big car" in disguise..

• Like 1

They are covering the front this time because it's hiding the final design, although the rest is exposed so I would ignore that.

It looks like a derivative of the F-Series fascia. Typically the large SUVs have plastic fascias and bumpers for a smoother more civilized look so I would very much doubt it shares the same components.

The rear window has always been a little odd, you would assume it's related to the final design which is significantly less boxy than the current vehicle.

Ford has really struggled to get this segment to work for them so I'm curious to see if they know what they are doing this time.

Edited by BORG