2019 Ford Edge Discussion (merged posts)

The problem as I see it is they're not using the same formula that made the Focus ST and Fiesta ST so successful. Those two gave you the next larger ecoboost than what is available on the lower trims and combined it with a manual transmission that's not available in the standard trims (other than the bargain basement stuff, and even then it's a different transmission). All at a price that is comparable to a nicely appointed non-ST trim of the same model and easily attainable for the average new car buyer. This new Edge is nothing like that. All they did was a 25hp tune and body kit and made it the highest priced trim for the model, topping $50k. They'll sell a few, but it's not going to be the resounding success that the focus and fiesta versions were/are.

Except it is a larger EB motor than the rest of the lineup? The Sport trim goes away. The manual complaint is true, but in this type of vehicle, buyers don't want it.

It looks like this rig still will use the Sony high end stereo? I never really liked the layout of that system. This could have been an opportunity to swap to the Harman system?

I believe B&O Play replaces the Sony units.

Edited by rmc523

Remember the whole 12 new Ford Performance models to be released by 2020? I see this as nothing more than fulfilling that promise. That said, why not a 2019 Fusion ST now since the 2017 Fusion Sport is already rated at 325hp/380tq.

That’s a no brainer if you ask me unless they decide to go some totally different route with Fusion. Just a question of timing.

It’s the same 2.7LEB as the current Edge Sport (and MKX), just tuned for more power.

Right, but with the Sport trim going away, it still retains that advantage over the other trims. So no, it's not a different engine vs. the Sport, but still an upgrade over the rest of the lineup.

The Edge ST will sell better make more money than the Focus ST and Fiesta ST ever did. It is a much more practical vehicle for the vast majority of the car buying public.

FTFY......I don't think it will sell more that both of those but I do think you will probably get about 3x's the revenue for every Focus/Fiesta ST sold.

FTFY......I don't think it will sell more that both of those but I do think you will probably get about 3x's the revenue for every Focus/Fiesta ST sold.

Focus ST sold about 10K units last year Fiesta about 8K. This will sell as at least 15K and that is just matching the Sports sales..

I have a feeling these will also be bought by similar demographics as the Explorer Sport/Platinum.

Edited by jasonj80

Oh boo hoo, I'm playing the smallest violin for all the whiners. Ford is a business entity.

BMW is selling more CUVs than "ultimate driving machines", welcome to the real world.

Actually, BMW is still passenger car heavy......regardless you have a point. Sales have shifted from cars to SUVs/Trucks so why not offer more options to keep and/or reign in new buyers.

Edited by Michael Reynolds

Fiesta St is put together in Mexico, engine comes from Bridgend I believe. Irrespective and an honest question, I understand on the Edge ST ATPs will be high, so profit will be higher per unit, but heres where I scratch my head...it will be 60k. The market for a vehicle gets smaller as prices escalate....so wheres the happy medium?....We have 65k F150s, 70k Expeditions, 90k Superduties, 50k Explorers....etc etc etc ....I for one have NO idea how most afford a car anymore....

• Like 3

Oh boo hoo, I'm playing the smallest violin for all the whiners. Ford is a business entity.

BMW is selling more CUVs than "ultimate driving machines", welcome to the real world.

BMW cars sales regularly double its X sales each month in the US and even more worldwide..

Fiesta St is put together in Mexico, engine comes from Bridgend I believe. Irrespective and an honest question, I understand on the Edge ST ATPs will be high, so profit will be higher per unit, but heres where I scratch my head...it will be 60k. The market for a vehicle gets smaller as prices escalate....so wheres the happy medium?....We have 65k F150s, 70k Expeditions, 90k Superduties, 50k Explorers....etc etc etc ....I for one have NO idea how most afford a car anymore....

I work for the company and I couldnt afford to buy a fully loaded Focus TI or ST right now if I wanted to.

I do. Sports are everywhere around here.

I don't think it'll be 60K.

Edge tops out now at I think 48K, so I could see it being 51-52K tops.

Remember, it's replacing the Sport trim, I don't think they'll price this too high, otherwise they risk losing those buyers.

Looking at national inventory level, there are approximately 1000 Edge Sports out of 15000 total in inventory or roughly 6.5%. Ford sold 142K units in 2017 which would equate to about 10K Sports sold. I think it's probably closer to 15K as jasonj80 guesstimated. And a lot more profit.

I do. Sports are everywhere around here.

I don't think it'll be 60K.

Edge tops out now at I think 48K, so I could see it being 51-52K tops.

Remember, it's replacing the Sport trim, I don't think they'll price this too high, otherwise they risk losing those buyers.

Exactly. I would guess the optional brake/suspension upgrade would be around $4K - still nowhere near $60K.

It looks more like the GMC Terrain then the traverse to me. Its definitely better than the current edge. Not a fan of the black plastic below the rear window. Should have just made it body color. All the safety features being standard is great. I was hoping for more interior changes but I guess that was expecting a little too much for a refresh. Anyone know when we can expect a new design for interiors on ford vehicles? This style seems to have been around forever.

Agree on your first two. But really? You're not going to buy another Ford because of a rotary dial shifter?

It's not the lone reason, just the latest. My Edge has on going annoyances that have never been fixed (it's a rattle trap, the brakes grab with the lightest pressure [looks like there's a TSB for this], the perimeter sensors go off at random times, to the point that turning them off is one of the first things I do, each time I start the car). It's a shame, because if not for those things I'd be really happy with it.

I had Fusion loaners for two weeks (When the Edge was in the shop for the above. First week was a 2016, second a 2017, and I found the dial in the 2017 incredibly annoying. It sucks for things that require multiple gear changes, three point turns, parking spots, etc. I don't think the Lincoln push buttons would bother me though.

The Flex will be up for replacement soon. While I would LOVE to get another Flex (at over 100k miles it has fewer rattles than our Edge did new, the Flex has been virtually flawless) it's just the design is too old at this point. I'm not a fan of the Explorer really wither. I do like the new Expedition, and we're thinking of getting a camper, so it'll get a look, but the rotary dial is a significant penalty - it's something you touch a lot.

• Like 1

Ok ford enuff of this faux suv performance crap...just build a reliable suv and be done with it...id like water pumps to last longer than 30k miles in the explorer for starters

I want one that doesn't force me to trade it in after 14 months because my issues can't be fixed.

My '11 Escape is rock solid though. My '17 sure wasn't.

• Like 1